[9fans] Tvx beta version available on TinyCoreLinux

EBo

May 14, 2010, 11:30:07 AM5/14/10

I am pleased to announce the inclusion of Tvx into TinyCoreLinux's list
standard packages.

Tvx is a repackaging of Russ's 9vx on TinyCoreLinux's micro-core Linux
distribution -- which provides a lean and mean Linux-on-a-stick. More
information on TinyCoreLinux can be found on their website
<http://www.tinycorelinux.com/>.

Due to TCL's package requirements the main executable (9vx), root file
system, source code, and documentation have all been separated into
separate packages. To get a working version of Tvx please follow TCL's
installation instructions <http://www.tinycorelinux.com/install.html> and
then install at minimum the Tvx and Tvx-root packages. Once this is done
you should be able to start Tvx by clicking on the 9-ball icon in the
application tray. A FAQ and other Tvx specific documentation will be
forthcoming.

I am requesting an initial review and comments from the community at
large.

Please note that there are two known issues with the current packages:

* no pop-up error message if Tvx cannot find Tvx-root. If you forget to
install Tvx-root, or moved it, then Tvx sould report back some error
message. At the moment it appears to do nothing. I expect to have a fix
in the next release.

* /home/tc/Tvx-root is linked and not copied. The standard way that
packages are installed on TCL is to mount and link a clean copy at each
boot, which guarantees that the system is pristine. Unfortunately, the
base system is read-only, so you cannot recompile plan9 libraries but can
add persistent files to the system. The alpha version actually copied
Tvx-root to /home/tc, so this should be easily fixed shortly. Once this is
corrected you should be able to install the Tvx-root-src package and
recompile the entire plan9 system from scratch.

Hope you enjoy, and I look forward to your questions and comments.

Best regards,

EBo --

hiro

May 14, 2010, 11:53:01 AM5/14/10
cool, I'll try it out the other week or so