Re: [9fans] create /home

andrey mirtchovski

Mar 15, 2010, 7:23:12 PM3/15/10
mkdir /root/home

Rudolf Sykora

Mar 15, 2010, 7:22:55 PM3/15/10
Hello,

I'd like to create a directory /home and then bind it to /usr.
(This is because I want some paths from linux that start with /home
were valid paths in my plan 9, too.)

However, I can't create a directory in my / --- when writing 'mkdir
/home' I get the message

mkdir: can't create /home: '/home' mounted directory forbids creation

I remember I was once solving this problem and if I am not wrong, it
was related to the fact that '/' is an union directory and there was
no directory bound to '/' with creation allowed. But somehow I now
don't know where and what I should change, so that I can create a
directory in '/'... I tried to change
the information in /lib/namespace, which in my case starts with

mount -aC #s/boot /root $rootspec
bind -a $rootdir /

to either 'mount -acC' ... or 'bind -ac', but the former seems to not
help and the latter results in no ability to boot afterwards...
(this was just a try, I don't really know what's really going on...)

Can anybody help?
Thanks!
Ruda

erik quanstrom

Mar 15, 2010, 7:25:19 PM3/15/10
> I'd like to create a directory /home and then bind it to /usr.
> (This is because I want some paths from linux that start with /home
> were valid paths in my plan 9, too.)

i just created my home directory in /usr on linux to solve this problem.

> However, I can't create a directory in my / --- when writing 'mkdir
> /home' I get the message
>
> mkdir: can't create /home: '/home' mounted directory forbids creation

option a: remount with -c option. requires permission to
scribble on /.
mount -c /srv/boot /n/boot
mkdir /n/boot/home

option b: use fossil / ken fs console
filsys main
create home uid gid 755d
create home uid gid 755 d # kenfs

- erik

Rudolf Sykora

Mar 15, 2010, 7:28:21 PM3/15/10
On 16 March 2010 00:20, andrey mirtchovski <mirtc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> mkdir /root/home

Just this results in the same/similar:

mkdir: can't create /root/home: '/root/home' mounted directory forbids creation

Thanks
Ruda

Federico G. Benavento

Mar 15, 2010, 7:47:31 PM3/15/10
or you could just...

; aux/stub -d /home
; bind /usr /home

Federico G. Benavento

andrey mirtchovski

Mar 15, 2010, 7:52:54 PM3/15/10

Rudolf Sykora

Mar 15, 2010, 7:55:13 PM3/15/10
> i just created my home directory in /usr on linux to solve this problem.

That's not enough if the linux filesystem is given

> option a: remount with -c option.  requires permission to
> scribble on /.
>        mount -c /srv/boot /n/boot
>        mkdir /n/boot/home

I bumbed into permission problems...

> option b: use fossil / ken fs console
>        filsys main
>        create home uid gid 755d
>        create home uid gid 755 d       # kenfs

I finally did this:

con -l /srv/fscons
at the prompt wrote fsys main
wrote create home ruda ruda 755
ctrl-\

but I can't see any /home ...
I didn't write 755d because it didn't like that...

Ruda

Rudolf Sykora

Mar 15, 2010, 7:58:00 PM3/15/10
On 16 March 2010 00:43, Federico G. Benavento <bena...@gmail.com> wrote:
> or you could just...
>
> ; aux/stub -d /home
> ; bind /usr /home

this works.
Thanks!
Ruda

Federico G. Benavento

Mar 15, 2010, 8:34:14 PM3/15/10
fsys main create /active/home uid gid d775

--
Federico G. Benavento