I'm happy again!

Nick Kralevich

Aug 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/24/95

Check this out:

----- Begin -----
diamonds:~> telnet www.windows.microsoft.com
Trying...
Connected to www.windows.microsoft.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

BSDI BSD/OS 2.0 (wl6.windows.microsoft.com) (ttyp1)

login:

----- End -----

Or download.windows.microsoft.com.

Apparently Microsoft put up a much of WWW servers for the Win95
stuff. And guess what those servers are running!

I guess Microsoft really does suck! Long live Linux and Unix!

Thanks to wp...@ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul) for pointing this out on
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc.

Take care,
-- Nick Kralevich
nick...@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu

Bill Oconnor

Aug 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/24/95
In article <41ivm6$d...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
nick...@caa32.alumni.berkeley.edu (Nick Kralevich) wrote:

>Check this out:

>----- Begin -----
>diamonds:~> telnet www.windows.microsoft.com
>Trying...
>Connected to www.windows.microsoft.com.
>Escape character is '^]'.

>BSDI BSD/OS 2.0 (wl6.windows.microsoft.com) (ttyp1)

>login:
>
>----- End -----

Sho 'nuff, that's what it says.

>Apparently Microsoft put up a much of WWW servers for the Win95
>stuff. And guess what those servers are running!

Really makes one wonder about these Microsoft people. I have been
told that Microsoft is still using OS/2 on many of their internal
network servers. I guess it ain't quite "dead" yet, even at
Microsoft.

> nick...@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu

Bill Oconnor

Vincent Vinh-Hung

Aug 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/25/95
In article <41ivm6$d...@agate.berkeley.edu>, nick...@caa32.alumni.berkeley.edu (Nick Kralevich) writes:

|> Check this out:
|>
|> ----- Begin -----
|> diamonds:~> telnet www.windows.microsoft.com
|> Trying...
|> Connected to www.windows.microsoft.com.
|> Escape character is '^]'.
|>

|> BSDI BSD/OS 2.0 (wl6.windows.microsoft.com) (ttyp1)
|>
|> login:
|>
|> ----- End -----
|>
|> Or download.windows.microsoft.com.

|> Apparently Microsoft put up a much of WWW servers for the Win95
|> stuff. And guess what those servers are running!
|>
|> I guess Microsoft really does suck! Long live Linux and Unix!
|>
|> Thanks to wp...@ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul) for pointing this out on
|> comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc.
|>
|> Take care,
|> -- Nick Kralevich
|> nick...@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu

Microsoft used to market or license Xenix, a BSD flavored Unix.
It was funny that all software I used on Xenix, Fortran, Pascal,
commercial or public domain programs, all did multitask and multiuser
correctly - all, with the exception of Microsoft software
which crashed whenever one tried to multitask. Should come as no
surprise that the WWW server is not MS software.

Gabriel N. Schaffer

Aug 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/29/95

In a previous article, ocon...@source.asset.com (Bill Oconnor) says:

>>Check this out:
>
>>----- Begin -----
>>diamonds:~> telnet www.windows.microsoft.com
>>Trying...
>>Connected to www.windows.microsoft.com.
>>Escape character is '^]'.
>
>>BSDI BSD/OS 2.0 (wl6.windows.microsoft.com) (ttyp1)

Interestingly enough, it's also wl7, wl8, and wl9. They are all running
Netscape Communication Server 1.1.

>Really makes one wonder about these Microsoft people. I have been

I guess they're doing a real competetive analysis with their beta web
server. You will notice that www.microsoft.com is only one computer
running a beta web server.

>told that Microsoft is still using OS/2 on many of their internal
>network servers.

Hey, that's pretty funny. The only machines at MS running OS/2 are for
competetive analysis or compatibility testing. All their internal network
servers (including telnet and ftp gateway) are running NT.
--
/~~~~ / /~~~ / /~~/~~ gn...@po.cwru.edu
/ ___ __ /_ __ (__ __ /_ __ _/__/__ _http://www.gabe.com/

Bing

Aug 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/29/95
ocon...@source.asset.com (Bill Oconnor) writes:
> In article <41ivm6$d...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
> nick...@caa32.alumni.berkeley.edu (Nick Kralevich) wrote:
>
> >Check this out:
>
> >----- Begin -----
> >diamonds:~> telnet www.windows.microsoft.com
> >Trying...
> >Connected to www.windows.microsoft.com.
> >Escape character is '^]'.
>

> >BSDI BSD/OS 2.0 (wl6.windows.microsoft.com) (ttyp1)
>
> >login:
> >
> >----- End -----
>
> Sho 'nuff, that's what it says.

Oh this is really too sweet! There is a God after all!
Of course, I agree fully with whoever in M$ that set this up...
You won't catch this fool trying to set up a www page on a M$ os.

Bill Oconnor

Aug 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/29/95
In article <41vd0g$o...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>,

gn...@po.CWRU.Edu (Gabriel N. Schaffer) wrote:

>I guess they're doing a real competetive analysis with their beta web
>server. You will notice that www.microsoft.com is only one computer
>running a beta web server.

>>told that Microsoft is still using OS/2 on many of their internal
>>network servers.

>Hey, that's pretty funny. The only machines at MS running OS/2 are
>for competetive analysis or compatibility testing. All their internal
>network servers (including telnet and ftp gateway) are running NT.

Gabe, it wasn't meant to be funny. This was posted a while back
by a Microsoft consultant. At first several Microsoft employees
vehemently denied this but when this fellow supplied all of the
facts they recanted their denials. This was about a year ago.
Things might have changed since then, but I don't know.

_http://www.gabe.com/

Bill Oconnor

Ray A. Jones

Sep 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/2/95
Bill Oconnor (ocon...@source.asset.com) wrote:
: In article <41vd0g$o...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>,

: gn...@po.CWRU.Edu (Gabriel N. Schaffer) wrote:

: >I guess they're doing a real competetive analysis with their beta web
: >server. You will notice that www.microsoft.com is only one computer
: >running a beta web server.

: >>told that Microsoft is still using OS/2 on many of their internal
: >>network servers.

: >Hey, that's pretty funny. The only machines at MS running OS/2 are
: >for competetive analysis or compatibility testing. All their internal
: >network servers (including telnet and ftp gateway) are running NT.

Then how come, when you do a "whois microsoft.com" and it comes back with
the name of the server "atbd.microsoft.com" and THEN you telnet to
atbd.microsoft.com it comes back with a Unix login prompt??

Up until last week you could telnet to www.microsoft.com and it would come
back with the same Unix login prompt. I tried it again yesterday, but they
have turned off the telnet function and now you get a refusal. Guess that
Unix prompt was just too embarasing.

: Gabe, it wasn't meant to be funny. This was posted a while back

: by a Microsoft consultant. At first several Microsoft employees
: vehemently denied this but when this fellow supplied all of the
: facts they recanted their denials. This was about a year ago.
: Things might have changed since then, but I don't know.

: _http://www.gabe.com/

: Bill Oconnor

--
INTERNET: r...@Celestial.COM Ray A. Jones; Celestial Systems, Inc.
Mercer Island, WA 98040; (206) 236-1676

Ray A. Jones

Sep 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/2/95
Originally From: 723!Ray.A..Jones@pebble.cts.com

Originally From: r...@camco1.celestial.com

: _http://www.gabe.com/

: Bill Oconnor

--
Any opinions expressed by this user are theirs and theirs alone.
Pebble in the Sky - Escondido, CA - 619-743-2511 - V.34+

--
Any opinions expressed by this user are theirs and theirs alone.
Pebble in the Sky - Escondido, CA - 619-743-2511 - V.34+

Ray A. Jones

Sep 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/2/95

Jay Urbanski

Sep 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/4/95
r...@camco1.celestial.com (Ray A. Jones) wrote:

>Then how come, when you do a "whois microsoft.com" and it comes back with
>the name of the server "atbd.microsoft.com" and THEN you telnet to
>atbd.microsoft.com it comes back with a Unix login prompt??

Well, I don't know what atbd is running, but I get:
</home/jurban> telnet atbd.microsfot.com
atbd.microsfot.com: unknown host

>Up until last week you could telnet to www.microsoft.com and it would come
>back with the same Unix login prompt. I tried it again yesterday, but they
>have turned off the telnet function and now you get a refusal. Guess that
>Unix prompt was just too embarasing.

No, you are thinking of www.windows.microsoft.com. www.microsoft.com is
and has been NT.

-Jay
MCSE
Certified Solaris Admin
Mobile Systems International

Kazimir Kylheku

Sep 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/4/95
In article <42e3ut$j...@dfw.nkn.net>, Jay Urbanski <str...@fastlane.net> wrote:
>r...@camco1.celestial.com (Ray A. Jones) wrote:
>
>>Then how come, when you do a "whois microsoft.com" and it comes back with
>>the name of the server "atbd.microsoft.com" and THEN you telnet to
>>atbd.microsoft.com it comes back with a Unix login prompt??
>
>Well, I don't know what atbd is running, but I get:
></home/jurban> telnet atbd.microsfot.com
>atbd.microsfot.com: unknown host

You are the "Solaris admin", you figure it out!
Maybe after an hour of fiddling with your named setup files,
you will learn that "microsfot" is not how you spell it.

Of all your idiotic posts, this is the most hilarious, Mr. Urbanski!
--
Finger c2a...@keats.ugrad.cs.ubc.ca for PGP public key. Or contact
one of the public key servers -- the key id is 0xD3C7995D.

Gabriel N. Schaffer

Sep 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/5/95

In a previous article, r...@camco1.celestial.com (Ray A. Jones) says:

>: >I guess they're doing a real competetive analysis with their beta web
>: >server. You will notice that www.microsoft.com is only one computer
>: >running a beta web server.
>
>: >>told that Microsoft is still using OS/2 on many of their internal
>: >>network servers.
>
>: >Hey, that's pretty funny. The only machines at MS running OS/2 are
>: >for competetive analysis or compatibility testing. All their internal
>: >network servers (including telnet and ftp gateway) are running NT.
>

>Then how come, when you do a "whois microsoft.com" and it comes back with
>the name of the server "atbd.microsoft.com" and THEN you telnet to
>atbd.microsoft.com it comes back with a Unix login prompt??

Because it's one of the few remaining Xenix machines. Like I said, all of
their internal servers are running NT (so far as I can tell). There are
hundreds of servers on many networks. Instanteously starting to run NT on
all of them isn't realistic, but as we speak they're in the process of
switching everything to NT.

>Up until last week you could telnet to www.microsoft.com and it would come

You mean www.windows.microsoft.com. www.microsoft.com is running NT.

Jay Urbanski

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95
str...@fastlane.net (Jay Urbanski) wrote:

c2a...@ugrad.cs.ubc.ca (Kazimir Kylheku) wrote:

>You are the "Solaris admin", you figure it out!
>Maybe after an hour of fiddling with your named setup files,
>you will learn that "microsfot" is not how you spell it.

Well, oops. I spent a whole 2 seconds pondering it.

>Of all your idiotic posts, this is the most hilarious, Mr. Urbanski!

And you are a jerk. If you find them idiotic, why don't you take issue
with the substance of what I say rather than mocking a typo.

Mark Komarinski

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95
Gabriel N. Schaffer (gn...@po.CWRU.Edu) wrote:

: In a previous article, r...@camco1.celestial.com (Ray A. Jones) says:

: >: >I guess they're doing a real competetive analysis with their beta web
: >: >server. You will notice that www.microsoft.com is only one computer
: >: >running a beta web server.
: >
[...]

That's strange. When did Xenix change its name to BSDI?

--
- Mark Komarinski - koma...@craft.camp.clarkson.edu

"Sure we should sell California to the Japanese. It's going to fall into
the ocean anyway." - Car Talk (on NPR)

jgu...@epix.net

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95
In <42j7ve$5...@dfw.nkn.net>, str...@fastlane.net (Jay Urbanski) writes:
>c2a...@ugrad.cs.ubc.ca (Kazimir Kylheku) wrote:
>
>>You are the "Solaris admin", you figure it out!
>>Maybe after an hour of fiddling with your named setup files,
>>you will learn that "microsfot" is not how you spell it.

[flame deleted]

>And you are a jerk. If you find them idiotic, why don't you take issue
>with the substance of what I say rather than mocking a typo.

So what was the result when you tried to telnet "atbd.microsoft.com"?
Did you get a UNIX prompt like the original poster said, or did you get an NT
prompt, or was the result the same as what you posted (unknown host)?

Jerry
jgu...@epix.net
jgu...@genesis.nred.ma.us

Joel Garry

Sep 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/8/95
In article <42e3ut$j...@dfw.nkn.net> str...@fastlane.net (Jay Urbanski) writes:
>r...@camco1.celestial.com (Ray A. Jones) wrote:
>
>>Then how come, when you do a "whois microsoft.com" and it comes back with
>>the name of the server "atbd.microsoft.com" and THEN you telnet to
>>atbd.microsoft.com it comes back with a Unix login prompt??
>
>Well, I don't know what atbd is running, but I get:
></home/jurban> telnet atbd.microsfot.com
>atbd.microsfot.com: unknown host

Maybe Bill Gates has big feet.
<duck thrown paraphrenalia>
Sorry, couldn't resist.

--
Joel Garry joe...@rossinc.com Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc. <> <>

Ray A. Jones

Sep 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/9/95
[...]

If they were running Xenix, the prompt would say "Xenix" but it says
System V Unix.

: their internal servers are running NT (so far as I can tell). There are
: hundreds of servers on many networks. Instanteously starting to run NT on
: all of them isn't realistic, but as we speak they're in the process of
: switching everything to NT.

: >Up until last week you could telnet to www.microsoft.com and it would come

: You mean www.windows.microsoft.com. www.microsoft.com is running NT.

They tried to use NT, didn't work, when back to Unix on those also.
Got a lot of flack on the network (lots of people tried the telnet trick)
and turned off the telnet to stop the pain.

Gabriel N. Schaffer

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95

In a previous article, koma...@craft.camp.clarkson.edu (Mark Komarinski) says:

>: >: >>told that Microsoft is still using OS/2 on many of their internal
>: >: >>network servers.
>: >
>: >: >Hey, that's pretty funny. The only machines at MS running OS/2 are
>: >: >for competetive analysis or compatibility testing. All their internal
>: >: >network servers (including telnet and ftp gateway) are running NT.
>: >
>: >Then how come, when you do a "whois microsoft.com" and it comes back with
>: >the name of the server "atbd.microsoft.com" and THEN you telnet to
>: >atbd.microsoft.com it comes back with a Unix login prompt??
>
>: Because it's one of the few remaining Xenix machines. Like I said, all of

>: their internal servers are running NT (so far as I can tell). There are
>: hundreds of servers on many networks. Instanteously starting to run NT on
>: all of them isn't realistic, but as we speak they're in the process of
>: switching everything to NT.
>

>That's strange. When did Xenix change its name to BSDI?

Whoa, you people aren't very observant. Somebody says that MS is using
OS/2 for their internal servers, and I say they are using NT. So somebody
asks why atbd.microsoft.com (*not* an internal server) is running Unix. I
say that's one of the few remaining Xenix boxes (which it is). Where did
BSDI come into the picture? The only BSDI machines on campus are for
competitive analysis, so far as I can tell. The windows.microsoft.com
machines are running BSDI, but they are apparently run by DEC as a contract
job. One of the machines (wl6) is actually in Bellevue, but I think it's
at DEC West a few minutes away.

Mark Komarinski

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
Gabriel N. Schaffer (gn...@po.CWRU.Edu) wrote:

: In a previous article, koma...@craft.camp.clarkson.edu (Mark Komarinski) says:

: >: >: >>told that Microsoft is still using OS/2 on many of their internal
: >: >: >>network servers.
: >: >
[...]

Why would MS allow it? If their servers are so powerful and ready for
the Internet, why not make DEC use NT boxes? Sounds only reasonable
enough.

Or isn't NT up to the demanding load?

--
- Mark Komarinski - koma...@craft.camp.clarkson.edu

"You're one of those condescending UNIX Computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer." (6/24/95 Dilbert)

Newton Love

Sep 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/13/95
In article <433u1l$k...@library.erc.clarkson.edu> koma...@craft.camp.clarkson.edu (Mark Komarinski) writes:
>From: koma...@craft.camp.clarkson.edu (Mark Komarinski)
>Subject: Re: I'm happy again!
>Date: 12 Sep 1995 12:22:13 GMT

metric but-loads of spam removed for your bandwidth pleasure!

>. . . MS ? If their servers are so powerful and ready for the Internet,
>why not make DEC use NT boxes? . . . Or isn't NT up to the demanding load?

IMHO, the only reason it is NT, and not MT (or M$T), is that is it already too
close to eMpTy (Ooooh Camel Case).

-newt
.

St. Louis UNIX Users Group: http://dark.wustl.edu/