Cannot open MS-DOS from Windows 95

Elliot

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00

I have a computer with an unusal problem. Any attempt to go to an MS-DOS
prompt from within Win95 fails. The black window appears and then closes
before it can be read. This is the same whether a shortcut is used, or
command.com directly called. If you try to restart in MS-DOS mode, you get
a message saying incorrect DOS version, windows resarting (which it does).
In fact, the DOS version is unchanged (it used to work), the same as on
another identical machine, running the same version of win95. Furthermore,
just to be sure, I have reinstalled the DOS from that machine (using
sys.com). There is one way you can get into DOS. Resart the machine, press
F8 as Win95 starts, and select command-prompt only. This gives a DOS
start-up, but with the error message - file creation failed. It seems to
then work fine.

Any ideas appreciated!

cqu...@iafrica.com

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00

There are two Command.com commonly used; one in C:\ and one in
%WinDir% (typically C:\Windows). Sys and the boot process address the
C:\Command.com, but Command.pif and "Exit to DOS.pif" address the one
in %WinDir%, which may have been lost or bent.

Once you are COAB sure which one is the right one, rename the other to
say "COMMAND.HUH" and then copy the right one to the location.

>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
Error Messages Are Your Friends
>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

Elliot

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00

cquirke wrote:

> There are two Command.com commonly used; one in C:\ and one in
> %WinDir% (typically C:\Windows). Sys and the boot process address the
> C:\Command.com, but Command.pif and "Exit to DOS.pif" address the one
> in %WinDir%, which may have been lost or bent.
>
> Once you are COAB sure which one is the right one, rename the other to
> say "COMMAND.HUH" and then copy the right one to the location.

> Error Messages Are Your Friends

Thanks for this. It solved the problem, the system now works fine! I had
noticed in the past the 2 command.com files, but didn't think of that in
relation to this problem!