Service installs on W2K, but does not load

QuasiCodo

Mar 27, 2002, 10:59:29 AM3/27/02
I've taken an NT 4 NDIS driver and service module and ported them into W2K.
When I install, the driver and service both install correctly. The driver
loads and runs, but the service does not load. When I open Control Panel |
Administrative Tools | Services, I see the service listed, but not started.
I then right click on the service and select "Start". I then get an error:

Could not start <My Service>.

Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run
in does not implement the service.

I can manual install and run the service on the command line:

cmd> myservice -install
cmd> myservice -debug

This is based on the SDK's Sample/Winbase/Winnt/Service example and I
haven't changed the service interface at all.

Here is the service installation parts of my INF file:

[MyDriver.ndi.Services]
AddService = MyDriver, 2, MyDriver.Service, MyDriver.EventLog
AddService = MyService,, MyService.Service, MyService.EventLog

[MyService.Service]
DisplayName = %MyService.Service.DispName%
ServiceType = 0x20 ;%SERVICE_WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS%
StartType = 2 ;%SERVICE_AUTO_START%
ErrorControl = 1 ;%SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL%
ServiceBinary = %11%\MyService.exe
LoadOrderGroup = NDIS
Description = %MyService.Service.DispName%

[MyService.EventLog]
AddReg = MyService.AddEventLog.reg

[MyService.AddEventLog.reg]
HKR,, TypesSupported, 0x00010001, 0x00000007

Any ideas what's wrong? Perhaps the ServiceType should be 0x10
SERVICE_WIN32_OWN_PROCESS?

((&-<

QuasiCodo

Mar 27, 2002, 1:27:31 PM3/27/02
Found the problem.

It works when ServiceType is 0x10 SERVICE_WIN32_OWN_PROCESS.

((&->

"QuasiCodo" <Quas...@Yahoo.com> wrote in message