PC Today Ranks SoftRAM Above Others

R&S Aldrich

Dec 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/3/95
In case no one saw it, PC Today (Nov. 95) ranked SoftRAM above Hurricane,
MagnaRAM and RAM Doubler. They said "Of the products we reviewed, SoftRAM
producted the largest amount of extra RAM." They also said that "if your
only concern is the ability to open and use the most applications you can
at one time, we suggest you buy SoftRAM."

Piet van Oostrum

Dec 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/4/95

RA> In case no one saw it, PC Today (Nov. 95) ranked SoftRAM above Hurricane,
RA> MagnaRAM and RAM Doubler. They said "Of the products we reviewed, SoftRAM
RA> producted the largest amount of extra RAM." They also said that "if your
RA> only concern is the ability to open and use the most applications you can
RA> at one time, we suggest you buy SoftRAM."

TERRIBLE!!!
--
Piet van Oostrum <pi...@cs.ruu.nl>
http://www.cs.ruu.nl/~piet

Jim Royer

Dec 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/4/95
aldr...@ix.netcom.com (R&S Aldrich) wrote:

>In case no one saw it, PC Today (Nov. 95) ranked SoftRAM above Hurricane,

>MagnaRAM and RAM Doubler. They said "Of the products we reviewed, SoftRAM

>producted the largest amount of extra RAM." They also said that "if your

>only concern is the ability to open and use the most applications you can

>at one time, we suggest you buy SoftRAM."

You'll notice that PC Today does little or no real testing of software
products. They're a novice consumer level publication that tends to
grade things based on "pretty icons" and such. How did their test
check memory? I'd bet all they did was load each app and see what each
reported back without doing any other tests.

banerjee sarmistha

Dec 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/5/95

Does PC today have a website where they provide a copy of this article?
No library here subscribes to PC Today.

Saunak Basu

Rob Mayhew

Dec 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/6/95
banerjee sarmistha <sban...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>On Sun, 3 Dec 1995, R&S Aldrich wrote:

>> In case no one saw it, PC Today (Nov. 95) ranked SoftRAM above Hurricane,
>> MagnaRAM and RAM Doubler. They said "Of the products we reviewed, SoftRAM
>> producted the largest amount of extra RAM." They also said that "if your
>> only concern is the ability to open and use the most applications you can
>> at one time, we suggest you buy SoftRAM."
>>

>Does PC today have a website where they provide a copy of this article?
>No library here subscribes to PC Today.

>Saunak Basu

Given the number of other, better-known magazines like PC World and PC
Magazine whhich have lately reported on SoftRAM's deficiencies,
perhaps it's little wonder that your local libraries don't bother
carrying PC Today. The reliability of their reportage is highly
suspect -- check out the many earlier articles in this newsgroup on
SoftRAM.

Rob Mayhew Problems worthy of attack
Vancouver, B.C. prove their worth by hitting back.
Canada - - Piet Hein, 1969
wizw...@mindlink.bc.ca - - or - - rlma...@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca

banerjee sarmistha

Dec 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/6/95

> Given the number of other, better-known magazines like PC World and PC
> Magazine whhich have lately reported on SoftRAM's deficiencies,
> perhaps it's little wonder that your local libraries don't bother
> carrying PC Today. The reliability of their reportage is highly
> suspect -- check out the many earlier articles in this newsgroup on
> SoftRAM.
>

> Rob Mayhew Problems worthy of attack
> Vancouver, B.C. prove their worth by hitting back.
> Canada - - Piet Hein, 1969
> wizw...@mindlink.bc.ca - - or - - rlma...@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca

I did manage to look at a copy of PC Today at Barnes and Noble here in
Champaign, Illinois. The Dec 1995 issues has a comparison of the
"RAM Enhancers".

The article states something like this " given that 1MB of memory costs
about $100, these ...."

Any magazines that makes a statement like that and then writes an article
would be suspect in my eyes. $100 for 1 MB - give me break.

What kind of RAM is that? Super-yet-to-be-discovered RAM? For the
mere earthly creatures like us,
Computer City is selling 4MB SIMM (Not EDO) for $129 (free installation!).
Saw the ad in Chicago Tribune, Dec 6, 1995 section 4, p 11.

Perhaps someone should send a copy of this ad to the writer of the PC
Today article (I think they are out of Lincoln, NE)!

Saunak Basu

J. Scott Schiller

Dec 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/11/95
aldr...@ix.netcom.com (R&S Aldrich) wrote:

>In case no one saw it, PC Today (Nov. 95) ranked SoftRAM above Hurricane,
>MagnaRAM and RAM Doubler. They said "Of the products we reviewed, SoftRAM
>producted the largest amount of extra RAM." They also said that "if your
>only concern is the ability to open and use the most applications you can
>at one time, we suggest you buy SoftRAM."

I suggest you read the article I posted down below RE FlaccidRam95