Compiling linux 0.97

Tao Jiang

Aug 2, 1992, 6:58:28 AM8/2/92

When I tried compiling linux 0.97, every thing worked fine, except that
the operation speed is too slow compare to the previous version of
linux.

This morning, I tried to compile it with DRAMDISK=512 defined in the Makefile,
then error came out as:
In file included from ramdisk.c:10:
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/string.h:31: parse error before `size_t'
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/string.h: In function `strncpy':
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/string.h:43: `src' undeclared (first use this function)
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/string.h:43: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/string.h:43: for each function it appears in.)
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/string.h:43: `dest' undeclared (first use this function)
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/string.h:43: `count' undeclared (first use this function)

Is there something wrong here?

Thanks in advance!

TJ

Linus Benedict Torvalds

Aug 2, 1992, 3:54:02 PM8/2/92
In article <YeT31Ie00...@andrew.cmu.edu> tj...@andrew.cmu.edu (Tao Jiang) writes:

>When I tried compiling linux 0.97, every thing worked fine, except that
>the operation speed is too slow compare to the previous version of
>linux.

I wrote a kernel profiling utility for this, and sent the patches
(small) and a user-level program to print out results (even smaller) to
the kernel mailing-list. If anybody sees this slow-down problem, and
tries out the profiling code, I'd be interested to have some sample
output.

If you aren't on the kernel list, I can make the patches available on
the net.

>This morning, I tried to compile it with DRAMDISK=512 defined in the Makefile,
>then error came out as:

My mistake: I never tried the ramdisk code in 0.97. The fix is
extremely simple (and is included in the above-mentioned profiling
diffs, I think): move the #include <linux/string.h> to be the last of
the include-statements. The reason is that <linux/string.h> wants some
standard types defined, and they get defined in the other include-files.

Linus