telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused

Jose Luis Fernández Díaz

Nov 28, 2002, 3:07:20 AM11/28/02

I have redhat 8 on i386.

When I installed the 'telnet-server-0.17-23.i386.rpm' package in my
machine (narcea) I got the next message:

[root@narcea tmp]# rpm -i telnet-server-0.17-23.i386.rpm
warning: telnet-server-0.17-23.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key
ID db42a60e

After I tried to connect:

[root@narcea tmp]# telnet 127.0.0.1
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused

How can I config the telnet service ?

Thanks in advance,
Jose Luis.

Paul Lutus

Nov 28, 2002, 3:30:06 AM11/28/02

Enable the telnet server using /usr/bin/redhat-config-services, then:

# service xinetd restart

You are confusing the telnet client with the telnet server.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Simon Morris

Nov 28, 2002, 3:35:18 AM11/28/02
On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 00:07:20 +0000, Jose Luis Fernández Díaz wrote:

I'm not sure why you got the message at the installation of the RPM, but I
can guess why you can't access the telnet service.

Go to /etc/xinetd.d/telnet

and edit the line which says **disable = yes** so it reads
**disable = no** (ignore the **)

After that change restart xinetd with the command

service xinetd restart

That should then work. However to allow telnet access from another box you
would need to alter your firewall rules.

*** HOWEVER, why don't you consider using SSH instead. It has the same
telnet functionality, but is much more secure. Clients are available for
Linux and Windows. Telnet is a clear text protocol, and a security risk ***

--
Simon Morris

"The statistics on sanity are that one out of
every four Americans are suffering from some form of
mental illness. Think of your three best friends.
If they're okay, then it's you."
Rita Mae Brown.