Linux on IBM RS6000

the hitman

May 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/31/95
I have a IBM RS6000, can Linux run on it? Please email me directly.

IBM RS6000, 520
19" Color Monitor
VGA Port
STd. Keyboard.
SCSI Disks, etc.

hitman
hit...@atc.ameritel.net

Sven Geggus

Jun 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/1/95
the hitman (hit...@atc.ameritel.net) wrote:
: I have a IBM RS6000, can Linux run on it? Please email me directly.

Linux won`t run, but I don`t know what you want, AIX is a full featured unix
with even more programs ported than to linux, so why linux on this machine?

Sven

--
E-MAIL: gesv...@rz03.FH-KARLSRUHE.DE PHONE: +49 7244 4952
SNAILMAIL: Sven Geggus - Haydnstr.5 - 76356 Weingarten - GERMANY
> In the meantime the trafic jam on our Data Highway is like on the Autobahn <

the universe (rdz)

Jun 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/1/95
In article <3qkc07$o...@nz12.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>,

Sven Geggus <gesv...@rz03.FH-Karlsruhe.DE> wrote:
>the hitman (hit...@atc.ameritel.net) wrote:
>: I have a IBM RS6000, can Linux run on it? Please email me directly.
>
>Linux won`t run, but I don`t know what you want, AIX is a full featured unix
>with even more programs ported than to linux, so why linux on this machine?

because linux is the superior (IMHO) UNIX. there's more to a UNIX
than how many applications it supports (assuming you can get all of
the applications you need). also, LINUX is free. followups should
probably make their way to the advocacy group...

-- garth

Pat Strode

Jun 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/3/95
the universe (rdz) (gpz...@hamp.hampshire.edu) wrote:
: In article <3qkc07$o...@nz12.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>,

: -- garth

Linux is a great system and I use it all the time like right now but I
have to say that I believe AIX is superior (for now) in many areas other
than just applications. Have you had the opportunity to truly use the
LVM or XLC? IBM's JFS is great and very time-saving. HP and SCO are now
finally getting around to implementing a JFS. The XLC compiler also
produces the best optimized code for what I understand. There were
benchmarks posted a while back in this newgroup listing GCC and XLC. I
also have to that the h/w management on a 6000 is excellent. IBM seems
to do things there way but it makes much more sense when considering an
SCO box.

pstrode @execpc.com

John Fulmer

Jun 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/5/95
In article <3qkq8b$n...@gort.oit.umass.edu>, gpz...@hamp.hampshire.edu (the universe (rdz)) writes:
|> >Linux won`t run, but I don`t know what you want, AIX is a full featured unix
|> >with even more programs ported than to linux, so why linux on this machine?
|> >

|> because linux is the superior (IMHO) UNIX. there's more to a UNIX
|> than how many applications it supports (assuming you can get all of
|> the applications you need). also, LINUX is free. followups should
|> probably make their way to the advocacy group...

My 2 cents...Having delt with AIX, It is just about the lamest piece of software I have ever seen. IBM tried to be 'too helpful' in it's design, by making it so dependent on it's config software, that it's very hard to figure out how to change anything by hand. I spent about two days on one problem that would have taken 20 minutes with Linux (aka, it's SLIP software, or lack of PPP)...

Sorry to waste the bandwidth...

Dominic Mitchell

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95
In article <3qotoc$2...@homer.alpha.net>,

Pat Strode <pst...@earth.execpc.com> wrote:
>Linux is a great system and I use it all the time like right now but I
>have to say that I believe AIX is superior (for now) in many areas other
>than just applications. Have you had the opportunity to truly use the
>LVM or XLC? IBM's JFS is great and very time-saving. HP and SCO are now
>finally getting around to implementing a JFS. The XLC compiler also
>produces the best optimized code for what I understand. There were
>benchmarks posted a while back in this newgroup listing GCC and XLC. I
>also have to that the h/w management on a 6000 is excellent. IBM seems
>to do things there way but it makes much more sense when considering an
>SCO box.

Isn't JFS meant to be an open standard? If so, who publishes this
standard? That would mean that there would be no problems
implementing one for Linux, bar a Small Matter Of Programming...

-Dom

--
____
/o \/|

Alan Cox

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95
In article <3qotoc$2...@homer.alpha.net> pst...@earth.execpc.com (Pat Strode) writes:
>also have to that the h/w management on a 6000 is excellent. IBM seems
>to do things there way but it makes much more sense when considering an
>SCO box.

To quote Linus himself "The memory management on the PowerPC" [ie 6000 series]
"can be used to frighten small children"

Alan
--
..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,
// Alan Cox // iia...@www.linux.org.uk // GW4PTS@GB7SWN.#45.GBR.EU //

Gernot Bauer

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95
In article <3rjk1j$9...@molnir.brunel.ac.uk>, ma9...@brunel.ac.uk (Dominic
Mitchell) wrote:

> Isn't JFS meant to be an open standard? If so, who publishes this
> standard? That would mean that there would be no problems
> implementing one for Linux, bar a Small Matter Of Programming...
>
> -Dom

Whats JFS?

--
-------------------------------------
Gernot Bauer

ger...@pizza.edvz.uni-linz.ac.at
gba...@risc.uni-linz.ac.at

Pat Strode

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95
Gernot Bauer (ger...@pizza.edvz.uni-linz.ac.at) wrote:
: In article <3rjk1j$9...@molnir.brunel.ac.uk>, ma9...@brunel.ac.uk (Dominic
: Mitchell) wrote:

: >
: > Isn't JFS meant to be an open standard? If so, who publishes this
: > standard? That would mean that there would be no problems
: > implementing one for Linux, bar a Small Matter Of Programming...
: >
: > -Dom
: >

: Whats JFS?

JFS is short for Journaled File System. It is a technology used by some
flavors of UNIX for disk management by creating logical volumes from many
(more than one) physical volumes. With it, as is the case with AIX, file
systems can be extended, mirrored, or striped on the fly. It also offers
very good protection against file system corruption due to a crash.

Pat Strode

Colin...@barclays.co.uk

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95
Pat Strode (pst...@earth.execpc.com) wrote:
: Gernot Bauer (ger...@pizza.edvz.uni-linz.ac.at) wrote:

: : Whats JFS?

: JFS is short for Journaled File System. It is a technology used by some
: flavors of UNIX for disk management by creating logical volumes from many
: (more than one) physical volumes. With it, as is the case with AIX, file
: systems can be extended, mirrored, or striped on the fly. It also offers
: very good protection against file system corruption due to a crash.

You have the Logical Volume Manager and JFS mixed up. What you describe
above is LVM. JFS is a database style filesystem. Every time the filesystem
changes it is logged in a journal. Result is that you don't need to fsck.

--
Colin Walls |
Colin...@barclays.co.uk (work)| Die Tat ist alles,

wayne

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95
Gernot Bauer (ger...@pizza.edvz.uni-linz.ac.at) wrote:
: In article <3rjk1j$9...@molnir.brunel.ac.uk>, ma9...@brunel.ac.uk (Dominic
: Mitchell) wrote:

: >
: > Isn't JFS meant to be an open standard? If so, who publishes this
: > standard? That would mean that there would be no problems
: > implementing one for Linux, bar a Small Matter Of Programming...
: >
: > -Dom
: >

: Whats JFS?

Jorunal File Systems.

It can increase its size without reformatting...

The disk organization on AIX is different from others which I have seen.
It is elastic. However, it also has more overheads.

Ex: (ps: The following map is not absolutely right)

(Physical Volume)

Hard Disk 1

+------+
| 1 |--------------
|------| +------(Volume Group)--+--(Logical Volume 1)---- JFS 1
| 2 | | +---- |
|------| | | +--(Logical Volume 2)---- JFS 2
| 3 |-------+ |
|------| |
| . | |
. |

Hard Disk 2 | +------+
| | | <-- Partition Size
+------+ | |------| 2, 4, 8, 16 MB ...
| 1 |---------+ | . |
|------| .
| 2 |
|------|
| 3 |
|------|
| . |
.

--
Hwu Wei-Si

E-Mail:is8...@cis.nctu.edu.tw

Trever Miller

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
Gernot Bauer (ger...@pizza.edvz.uni-linz.ac.at) wrote:
: Whats JFS?

Journaled File System aka Checkpointing File System.

Basically, a file system that is more robust to things like the power
going out etc due to the multi-phase writes. Sorta like redo log files
in various database's.

Harald Milz

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
In comp.os.linux.development.system,

wayne (is8...@cis.nctu.edu.tw) wrote:
> Gernot Bauer (ger...@pizza.edvz.uni-linz.ac.at) wrote:
> : Whats JFS?

> Jorunal File Systems.

They call it "Journalled File System".

> It can increase its size without reformatting...

More important: it logs all filesystem changes in a transaction-oriented
manner. You can push the reset button if you like (or need), the machine
reboots and everything is fine. No hour-long fsck sessions as we all know
from SunOS...

--
Harald Milz (h...@ix.de) WWW: http://www.ix.de/ix/editors/hm.html
iX Multiuser Multitasking Magazine phone +49 (511) 53 52-377

Geert Uytterhoeven

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In article <DA83I...@ix.de>, h...@ix.de (Harald Milz) writes:
|> More important: it logs all filesystem changes in a transaction-oriented
|> manner. You can push the reset button if you like (or need), the machine

|> reboots and everything is fine. No hour-long fsck sessions as we all know
|> from SunOS...

Even better, if your key is in the right (wrong?) position, you can hit the big
yellow reset button and it keeps on working :-)

--
Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uyt...@cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Wavelets, Linux/68k on Amiga,... http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/

James Ewert

Jun 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/17/95
>LVM or XLC? IBM's JFS is great and very time-saving. HP and
SCO are now
>finally getting around to implementing a JFS. The XLC
compiler also

What is JFS? Does AIX provide and SVR3 or OSF/2
compatiblility?

Jim Ewert james...@delphi.com

Nick Hilliard

Jun 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/17/95
Geert Uytterhoeven (ge...@cs.KULeuven.ac.be) wrote:

: In article <DA83I...@ix.de>, h...@ix.de (Harald Milz) writes:
: |> More important: it logs all filesystem changes in a transaction-oriented
: |> manner. You can push the reset button if you like (or need), the machine
: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: |> reboots and everything is fine. No hour-long fsck sessions as we all know
: |> from SunOS...

: Even better, if your key is in the right (wrong?) position, you can hit the big
: yellow reset button and it keeps on working :-)

My favourite RS6000'ism is that when you hit the Big Red Switch, it logs an
entry into the Error Report database telling you that power has been chopped
and to check the power supply for possible problems.

You have to love that sort of stuff. :-)

Nick
--
Write failed on /dev/brain: file system full