WANTED: Name for Wordprocessor

Matthias Ettrich

Sep 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/5/95
Does anybody have an idea, how a free, latex-based
wordprocessor for linux may be called?

I thought "lyrix" would be a good choice, but this
is a trademark of SCO.

Please mail me suggestions! Thanks.

Matthias Ettrich
(ett...@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de)

Dave Barr

Sep 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/9/95
In article <42hrno$q...@wsiserv.Informatik.Uni-Tuebingen.De>,

Matthias Ettrich <ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>Does anybody have an idea, how a free, latex-based
>wordprocessor for linux may be called?

You could call it "sheepskin". It's like latex, but with a better
look and feel.

--Dave

Forrest S. Trimbell

Sep 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/9/95
ba...@math.psu.edu (Dave Barr) writes:

Normally, I would leave this alone, but this time I've just got to throw
in my two cents:

In keeping with the obligitory two or three letter names of programs like
'vi', 'ln', 'cp', and 'tar' I suggest useing the name "pvc" :)

Forrest
--
Forrest S. Trimbell
trim...@rintintin.colorado.edu

Paul Hostetler

Sep 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/9/95
In article <42snfn$p...@dodgson.math.psu.edu>,

Dave Barr <ba...@math.psu.edu> wrote:
>In article <42hrno$q...@wsiserv.Informatik.Uni-Tuebingen.De>,
>Matthias Ettrich <ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>>Does anybody have an idea, how a free, latex-based
>>wordprocessor for linux may be called?
>
>You could call it "sheepskin". It's like latex, but with a better
>look and feel.

And not quite as safe as latex! Since it sneaks the nasty stuff in under a
pretty shell "Trojan" may be a more suitable name. There is always the
danger of confusion wrt Win95 though.

--
ms_hos...@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu * phos...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
at...@cleveland.freenet.edu * hoste...@osu.edu * CIS 70004.3540 [E--/F]

WARNING: Do not look into laser with remaining eye

Michal Jaegermann

Sep 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/10/95
Forrest S. Trimbell (trim...@rintintin.Colorado.EDU) wrote:

: In keeping with the obligitory two or three letter names of programs like

: 'vi', 'ln', 'cp', and 'tar' I suggest useing the name "pvc" :)

Wow! I did not know that somebody is running Linux on 300 baud teletype
for a terminal. Is it uppercase only as well?

(In case you do not know these two-letter names are a historical leftover
from these heroic times. 'ed' editor and its error messages - what error
messages? - made then very much sense as well :-).

Michal

Gregory H. Margo

Sep 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/10/95
In article <42hrno$q...@wsiserv.Informatik.Uni-Tuebingen.De>,
Matthias Ettrich <ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>Does anybody have an idea, how a free, latex-based
>wordprocessor for linux may be called?
>
>I thought "lyrix" would be a good choice, but this
>is a trademark of SCO.
>
>Please mail me suggestions! Thanks.
>
>Matthias Ettrich
>(ett...@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de)

How about "lyx"? It doesn't infringe, it's easy to pronounce,
and you don't have to change your default file suffix (.lyx).

gm

Thomas Marsh

Sep 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/10/95
to ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de

On that note, why not just call it XLyrix? Sorta puts down SCO and avoids
trademark infringements at the same time. :)

--thomas

>gm

Thomas Marsh, ama...@bga.com http://www.bga.com/~amadeus

Zenon Fortuna

Sep 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/10/95
In article <42hrno$q...@wsiserv.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de>,

Matthias Ettrich <ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>Does anybody have an idea, how a free, latex-based
>wordprocessor for linux may be called?
>
>I thought "lyrix" would be a good choice, but this
>is a trademark of SCO.

1.
lexis (from Greek, also in Latin => word)

2.
linotype

3.
latex -- in Greek -- means liquid, water, creek, also wine
Let the wordprocessor be:
lexer (i.e. "lexical"+"mixer")

Zenon

Peter Suetterlin

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
Michael Dillon (mic...@okjunc.junction.net) wrote:
: Doesn't Lyrix output LaTeX format files? Well, didn't you know that latex
: is produced by rubber trees? I'm not suggesting that you name the WP
: "rubbertree" but maybe look up the latin name for those trees or some of
: the native language names.

Would be ficus elastica...

: On the other hand, you could look at Lyrix as a program which does
: something to LaTeX and come up with a name like "vulcanizer".

Or just Linux LaTeX = LiTeX

Or - but that's more of a joke, thinking of what is made of latex:
Condom - protects you from commercial infections!

Peter "Pit" Suetterlin http://www.kis.uni-freiburg.de
Kiepenheuer Institut fuer Sonnenphysik
Tel.: +49 761 3198-210 p...@kis.uni-freiburg.de
-- * -- * ...-- * -- * ...-- * -- * ...-- * -- * ...-- * -- * ...-- * --
Come and see the stars! http://www.kis.uni-freiburg.de/~ps/SFB
Sternfreunde Breisgau e.V.
Tel.: +49 761 73571 or 278588

Matthew Asplund

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
Peter Suetterlin (p...@kis.uni-freiburg.de) wrote:

: Michael Dillon (mic...@okjunc.junction.net) wrote:
: : Doesn't Lyrix output LaTeX format files? Well, didn't you know that latex
: : is produced by rubber trees? I'm not suggesting that you name the WP
: : "rubbertree" but maybe look up the latin name for those trees or some of
: : the native language names.

: Would be ficus elastica...

: : On the other hand, you could look at Lyrix as a program which does
: : something to LaTeX and come up with a name like "vulcanizer".

: Or just Linux LaTeX = LiTeX

: Or - but that's more of a joke, thinking of what is made of latex:
: Condom - protects you from commercial infections!

Well, somebody did suggest that we could call it Trojan . . .
--
Matt Asplund
ma...@xenon.cchem.berkeley.edu

G. Ioannou

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
In article <trimbell....@rintintin.Colorado.EDU>,

Forrest S. Trimbell <trim...@rintintin.Colorado.EDU> wrote:
>ba...@math.psu.edu (Dave Barr) writes:
>
>>In article <42hrno$q...@wsiserv.Informatik.Uni-Tuebingen.De>,

>>Matthias Ettrich <ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>>>Does anybody have an idea, how a free, latex-based
>>>wordprocessor for linux may be called?
>
>>You could call it "sheepskin". It's like latex, but with a better
>>look and feel.
>
>Normally, I would leave this alone, but this time I've just got to throw
>in my two cents:
>
>In keeping with the obligitory two or three letter names of programs like
>'vi', 'ln', 'cp', and 'tar' I suggest useing the name "pvc" :)

Seconded! In perfect harmony with the UNIX tradition.

George.

Craig Maloney

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
Gregory H. Margo (new...@shellx.best.com) wrote:
: In article <42hrno$q...@wsiserv.Informatik.Uni-Tuebingen.De>,

: Matthias Ettrich <ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
: >Does anybody have an idea, how a free, latex-based
: >wordprocessor for linux may be called?
: >
: >I thought "lyrix" would be a good choice, but this

: >is a trademark of SCO.
: >
: >Please mail me suggestions! Thanks.
: >
: >Matthias Ettrich
: >(ett...@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de)

: How about "lyx"? It doesn't infringe, it's easy to pronounce,
: and you don't have to change your default file suffix (.lyx).

: gm

I second Lyx.

Craig Maloney | Phone: [313] 390-8096 | Automotive Safety Center
Opinions expressed above are my own. | Ford Motor Company

Michael Dillon

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
Doesn't Lyrix output LaTeX format files? Well, didn't you know that latex
is produced by rubber trees? I'm not suggesting that you name the WP
"rubbertree" but maybe look up the latin name for those trees or some of
the native language names.

On the other hand, you could look at Lyrix as a program which does

something to LaTeX and come up with a name like "vulcanizer".

--
Michael Dillon Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc. Fax: +1-604-542-4130

Arnt Gulbrandsen

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
In article <1995Sep10....@resonex.com>,

Zenon Fortuna <ze...@resonex.com> wrote:
>lexis (from Greek, also in Latin => word)

Probably a trademark. Lexis is big database company.

>linotype

Probably a trademark of Linotype, a type-setter company.

--Arnt

Michael Buchenrieder

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
ma...@xenon.cchem.berkeley.edu (Matthew Asplund) writes:

>Well, somebody did suggest that we could call it Trojan . . .

Nice ;-))

But how about XPress ?

Michael
--
* Michael Buchenrieder * mi...@scrum.muc.de / mi...@scrum.greenie.muc.de *
* Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange *

dave sims

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
new...@shellx.best.com (Gregory H. Margo) writes:

>In article <42hrno$q...@wsiserv.Informatik.Uni-Tuebingen.De>,
>Matthias Ettrich <ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>>Does anybody have an idea, how a free, latex-based
>>wordprocessor for linux may be called?
>

>How about "lyx"? It doesn't infringe, it's easy to pronounce,
>and you don't have to change your default file suffix (.lyx).

Except that "lyx" sounds like "licks", which is awful close to
"sucks".

:^)
--
Dave Sims
si...@usa.acsys.com

Habibie Sumargo

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
Matthias Ettrich (ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:
: Does anybody have an idea, how a free, latex-based
: wordprocessor for linux may be called?

: I thought "lyrix" would be a good choice, but this

: is a trademark of SCO.

: Please mail me suggestions! Thanks.

: Matthias Ettrich
: (ett...@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de)

How about:
1: linex -> Linux TeX
2: lintex -> Linux TeX
3: linord -> Linux Word
4: Worlin -> Wordprocessor for Linux
5: WorTeX -> Wordprocessor from TeX
6: latin -> LaTeX Linux

--
EMAIL: hab...@catevr.fiu.edu

Sean Alan Snyder

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
Matthias Ettrich (ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:
: Does anybody have an idea, how a free, latex-based
: wordprocessor for linux may be called?

: I thought "lyrix" would be a good choice, but this
: is a trademark of SCO.

How 'bout "WorksPerfect"? Folks will understand it's a word processor,
and you get to take a humorous stab at Novell/WordImPerfect.

Other possible names:
Condom
DDam (short for dental dam, another common latex-based product)
Interior Satin Finish (ISF?)

Sean

--

Sean Alan Snyder (sny...@mtu.edu) | %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ____
http://www.me.mtu.edu/~snyder/index.html| % Hit any user to continue % \ /

Quinlan Daniel '96

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
Matthias Ettrich <ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> Does anybody have an idea, how a free, latex-based wordprocessor for
> linux may be called?

I hate to be a spoilsport, but why are people always naming things
first and (not) doing them later?

If you can't decide on a name, I'm not exactly expecting to see a
final product (ever).

Nevertheless, a simple pun on "LaTeX" such as "Plastic" might be cool.

Dan
--
Daniel Quinlan Member of the League for Programming Freedom
qui...@bucknell.edu

Vegard Vesterheim

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
Regarding a new name for the Wordprocessor previously known as Lyrix:
I suggest 'Lame' - LAtex Made Easy
--
Vegard Vesterheim : Phone: +47 73593002
SINTEF RUNIT : Fax: +47 73593042

Peter Teuben

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
In article <432aif$p...@mtv.acsys.com> si...@linux.acsys.com (dave sims) writes:

new...@shellx.best.com (Gregory H. Margo) writes:

>>Does anybody have an idea, how a free, latex-based
>>wordprocessor for linux may be called?
>

>How about "lyx"? It doesn't infringe, it's easy to pronounce,
>and you don't have to change your default file suffix (.lyx).

Except that "lyx" sounds like "licks", which is awful close to
"sucks".

lyx has been used by lyrix, "a nearly-WYSIWYG word-processorfront-end to
LaTeX", to quote the README file. The sunsite for a recent version (I just tried
1.05) or check out the original site
http://www-pu.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/users/ettrich

_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/

Peter J. Teuben | INTERNET : teu...@astro.umd.edu ,__0
Astronomy Department | FTP: : ftp.astro.umd.edu _-\_<, /
University of Maryland | MA-BELL : (301) 405-1540 (office) (*)/'(*) /
College Park, MD 20742 | (301) 405-1502 (secr.) __________/
L 38 58 50 N 76 56 14 W| FAX: (301) 314-9067
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/

Peter J. Teuben | INTERNET : teu...@astro.umd.edu ,__0
Astronomy Department | FTP: : ftp.astro.umd.edu _-\_<, /
University of Maryland | MA-BELL : (301) 405-1540 (office) (*)/'(*) /
College Park, MD 20742 | (301) 405-1502 (secr.) __________/
L 38 58 50 N 76 56 14 W| FAX: (301) 314-9067

Peter Teuben

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95

args,

never mind my previous posting. My so-called threaded newsreader didn't show
the original thread, and the start of this discussion was in fact by mr. lyrix himself
I later discovered.

peter

Mark Hahn

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
> >I thought "lyrix" would be a good choice, but this
> >is a trademark of SCO.

> How about "lyx"? It doesn't infringe, it's easy to pronounce,

> and you don't have to change your default file suffix (.lyx).

heh, and it's pronounced "lick"...

regards, mark hahn.
--
operator may differ from spokesperson. ha...@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
http://neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu/~hahn

David L. Johnson

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
si...@linux.acsys.com (dave sims) wrote:
>new...@shellx.best.com (Gregory H. Margo) writes:
>
>>In article <42hrno$q...@wsiserv.Informatik.Uni-Tuebingen.De>,
>>Matthias Ettrich <ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>>>Does anybody have an idea, how a free, latex-based
>>>wordprocessor for linux may be called?
>>
>>How about "lyx"? It doesn't infringe, it's easy to pronounce,
>>and you don't have to change your default file suffix (.lyx).
>
>Except that "lyx" sounds like "licks", which is awful close to
>"sucks".

Well, `licks' can also be a musical reference (as in on a guitar) as well as a
sexual one. This is in keeping with the original name, too. I like it.
Better than

the_word_processor_formerly_known_as_LyriX

and quicker to start.

--

David L. Johnson dl...@lehigh.edu
Department of Mathematics http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html

Michael Dillon

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
In article <432aif$p...@mtv.acsys.com>, dave sims <si...@linux.acsys.com> wrote:
>new...@shellx.best.com (Gregory H. Margo) writes:
>
>>In article <42hrno$q...@wsiserv.Informatik.Uni-Tuebingen.De>,
>>Matthias Ettrich <ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>>>Does anybody have an idea, how a free, latex-based
>>>wordprocessor for linux may be called?
>>
>>How about "lyx"? It doesn't infringe, it's easy to pronounce,
>>and you don't have to change your default file suffix (.lyx).
>
>Except that "lyx" sounds like "licks", which is awful close to
>"sucks".

And then there are all those jokes about LaTeX condoms :-)

Teeceepip

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
: How about `Ridiculous Empire-Building Word Processor With Inferior
: Capabilities'? (REBWPWIC for short)

How about WordWorx, lyx++, luxor or LuxPerfect?

--
Jean

"Linux: Where would you like to go to tomorrow?"

root

Ross Linder

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
Gregory H. Margo (new...@shellx.best.com) wrote:
: In article <42hrno$q...@wsiserv.Informatik.Uni-Tuebingen.De>,

: Matthias Ettrich <ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
: >Does anybody have an idea, how a free, latex-based
: >wordprocessor for linux may be called?
: >

: How about "lyx"? It doesn't infringe, it's easy to pronounce,

: and you don't have to change your default file suffix (.lyx).

I like this, perhaps just xlyx "x-licks"

Dunk Moore

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95

I still like 'the software formally named Lryix (sp)'

dunk

Grant Edwards

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
Peter Suetterlin (p...@kis.uni-freiburg.de) wrote:

: : Doesn't Lyrix output LaTeX format files? Well, didn't you know that latex

: : is produced by rubber trees? I'm not suggesting that you name the WP
: : "rubbertree" but maybe look up the latin name for those trees or some of
: : the native language names.

: Would be ficus elastica...

I like "ficus." There are mail UAs named after trees (elm, pine), why not a
word processor named after a tree?

: : On the other hand, you could look at Lyrix as a program which does

: : something to LaTeX and come up with a name like "vulcanizer".

: Or just Linux LaTeX = LiTeX

But the program isn't Linux specific is it?

: Or - but that's more of a joke, thinking of what is made of latex: Condom -
: protects you from commercial infections!

--
Grant Edwards | Microsoft isn't the | Yow! If I had heart failure
Rosemount Inc. | answer. Microsoft | right now, I couldn't be a
| is the question, and | more fortunate man!!
gra...@rosemount.com | the answer is no. |

Norbert Thies

Sep 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/13/95
Matthias Ettrich (ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:
: I thought "lyrix" would be a good choice, but this
: is a trademark of SCO.

Matthias,
since you are German, what about
"satz"
(german translation of "sentence")?
Reasons:
1. sure, your program can handle more than simple "word"s,
right?
2. since LaTeX/TeX is a typesetting system and those systems
are called "satz" -systems in german it's quite intuitive
what kind of frontend you are offering (high quality
versus "some graphic gimmicks to print a letter").
3. it's not too hard to type (really, I prefer the old fashioned
way of starting programs).
so long,
Norbert
_____
Norbert Thies (nor...@taz.de); die tageszeitung, Berlin/Germany

Matthias Ettrich

Sep 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/13/95
Thanks for all the good ideas. Here's a brief summery of those I consider
the best:

lexis (greek for "word")
FreeWord
viel (VIEw Latex) german word for much/many
Milkweed? (Produces latex)
EdiTeX
"pvc" (polyvinyl chloride, usually made into large, thin plastic sheets)
"elastica" (the second part of the Latin name for the rubber tree)
TeXeD
WYSITeX? (Whizzy-TeX)
LinWord

My three favorites at the present are:
lexis, WysiTeX, Milkweed and elastica, where the last one sounds a bit
like a heavy-metal-group that jumps bungee.

Further ideas or opinions?

The next release will come soon (within the next days) and will not need
Motif anymore but the XForm library, that is free available for non-commercial
purpose.

Matthias
(ett...@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de)

Grant Edwards

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95
Dunk Moore (du...@access1.digex.net) wrote:

: I still like 'the software formally named Lryix (sp)'

But only if you've got some kind of symbol/logo...

--
Grant Edwards | Microsoft isn't the | Yow! I'm having fun
Rosemount Inc. | answer. Microsoft | HITCHHIKING to CINCINNATI or
| is the question, and | FAR ROCKAWAY!!

Zenon Fortuna

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95
In article <436jho$o...@wsiserv.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de>,

Matthias Ettrich <ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>Thanks for all the good ideas. Here's a brief summery of those I consider
>the best:
>
>lexis (greek for "word")

And if the "lexis" would show up as a protected name, maybe

lexPerfect :)

Zenon

Chandra Narayanasamy

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95
..MYWORD..!

-- --
-- Chandra Narayanasamy of Narayanasamy Consultants Ltd. --
-- email: nara...@pavilion.co.uk --
-- tel: +44 (0) 1273 700452 --
-- --

Peter Dalgaard

Sep 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/15/95
ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (Matthias Ettrich) wrote:

>My three favorites at the present are:
>lexis, WysiTeX, Milkweed and elastica, where the last one sounds a bit
>like a heavy-metal-group that jumps bungee.
>

>Further ideas or opinions?

Not too fond of the last two, there are enough inside jokes around in this
field. They become tiring in the end (ever been on a frantic hunt through
Lamports book for some important information that you need urgently and found
that all you see is some rubbish about gnats and gnus?)

"Lexis" is nice, except for possible confusion with "lex" the lexical analyzer.

"WysiTeX" is also nice, but it isn't really WYSIWYG, so...

--
O_ ---- Peter Dalgaard
c/ /' --- Dept. of Biostatistics

Gregory H. Margo

Sep 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/15/95
In article <436jho$o...@wsiserv.Informatik.Uni-Tuebingen.De>,

Matthias Ettrich <ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

>The next release will come soon (within the next days) and will not need
>Motif anymore but the XForm library, that is free available for non-commercial
>purpose.
>
>Matthias
>(ett...@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de)

This is wonderful! Now the motifless (like me) can help out!
Thank you Matthias. I'm looking forward to the new version.

gm
Gregory H. Margo No free speech restrictions on the Internet!
gma...@newton.vip.best.com

Yongsup Park

Sep 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/16/95
In article <43bo6o$4...@balder.adm.ku.dk>,

Peter Dalgaard <p...@kubism.ku.dk> wrote:

>"WysiTeX" is also nice, but it isn't really WYSIWYG, so...

I like "WysiTeX".
I suppose the name never meant to be WYSIWYG-TeX.
"What you see is TeX" makes perfect sense.

--
************** Note that my office number has been changed ************
Yongsup Park (박 용 섭) | 716-275-[7738(O) 6987(L) 8527(F)]

David L. Johnson

Sep 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/17/95
to qui...@bucknell.edu
qui...@indigo.eg.bucknell.edu (Quinlan Daniel '96) wrote:

>Matthias Ettrich <ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>
>> Does anybody have an idea, how a free, latex-based wordprocessor for
>> linux may be called?
>
>I hate to be a spoilsport, but why are people always naming things
>first and (not) doing them later?
>
>If you can't decide on a name, I'm not exactly expecting to see a
>final product (ever).

I think you spoke out of school here. In this case, a product already exists.
The reason Matthias is looking for a name is that the name he had chosen,
`Lyrix', already was being used by SCO for their word-processor.

It may not be final, but it does indeed exist. Check out

http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/LyriX.html

for a bit more information.

David L Evens

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95
In article <1995Sep14.0...@rosevax.rosemount.com> Grant Edwards (gra...@reddwarf.rosemount.com) wrote:
: Dunk Moore (du...@access1.digex.net) wrote:

: : I still like 'the software formally named Lryix (sp)'

: But only if you've got some kind of symbol/logo...

Well, it IS a WYSIWYG...how hard can it be to define an arbitrary symbol?

--
---------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Ring around the neutron, | "OK, so he's not terribly fearsome.

David Fox

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95
In article <439ord$9...@fitzherbert.pavilion.co.uk> Chandra Narayanasamy <nara...@pavilion.co.uk> writes:

] ..MYWORD..!

Excellent! This is the best name for a word processor I've ever heard.
--
http://found.cs.nyu.edu/fox/
David Fox xoF divaD

Taufiq Habib

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95
How about:
texpro OR
textpro

Taufiq Habib
ha...@delphi.com

Paul Buchheit

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95
Matthias Ettrich (ett...@nantes.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:
: Thanks for all the good ideas. Here's a brief summery of those I consider
: the best:

: "pvc" (polyvinyl chloride, usually made into large, thin plastic sheets)
I like this one!

: "elastica" (the second part of the Latin name for the rubber tree)

: My three favorites at the present are:

: lexis, WysiTeX, Milkweed and elastica, where the last one sounds a bit
: like a heavy-metal-group that jumps bungee.

Elastica IS a band.

: Further ideas or opinions?

How about LNT (LNT's Not TeX), or xiryl (lyrix spelled backword, sounds
sort of cool ("ziril"))???

--

! Win95?? try "echo f 0:0 ffff 0 | debug"
@ Linux, because a 486 is a terrible thing to waste.

Amos Shapira

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95
In article <433thl$d...@nntp.crl.com> ro...@tailor.roman.org (root) writes:

How about `Ridiculous Empire-Building Word Processor With Inferior
Capabilities'? (REBWPWIC for short)

Nah, "Empire Building" is emacs' business... :)

Cheers,

--Amos
--
--Amos Shapira | "Of course Australia was marked for
133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st. | glory, for its people had been chosen

Ted Harding

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95
There have been some nice suggestions ..

How about

Elixyr

-- looks attractive, suggests magic potency, and the slightly warped
spelling is a reminder of Lyrix ?

Cheers,
Ted. (Ted.H...@nessie.mcc.ac.uk)

Paul Hostetler

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95
In article <FOX.95Se...@graphics.cs.nyu.edu>,

David Fox <f...@graphics.cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
>In article <439ord$9...@fitzherbert.pavilion.co.uk> Chandra Narayanasamy <nara...@pavilion.co.uk> writes:
>] ..MYWORD..!
>Excellent! This is the best name for a word processor I've ever heard.

This is something a FanaTeX would rave about.

--
**** ________________________ ms_hos...@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu
*/ /*/ Linux: Venimus, | phos...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

Peter Dalgaard

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95
to mic...@gortel.phys.ualberta.ca
mic...@gortel.phys.ualberta.ca (Michal Jaegermann) wrote:
>Forrest S. Trimbell (trim...@rintintin.Colorado.EDU) wrote:
>
>: In keeping with the obligitory two or three letter names of programs like
>: 'vi', 'ln', 'cp', and 'tar' I suggest useing the name "pvc" :)
>
>Wow! I did not know that somebody is running Linux on 300 baud teletype
>for a terminal. Is it uppercase only as well?
>
>(In case you do not know these two-letter names are a historical leftover
>from these heroic times. 'ed' editor and its error messages - what error
>messages? - made then very much sense as well :-).

I still have 300 baud fingers. Where did you get your upgrade?

BLOODYNETSCAPEWANTSMORETEXTTHANINCLUDED

John Engstrom

Sep 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/19/95
In article h...@senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU, Ted.H...@nessie.mcc.ac.uk (Ted Harding) writes:
> How about Elixyr

Sorry. I like the name and agree it has a nice ring but there is already a
DOS/Windows page layout program by the same name.

|Name : John Engstrom | Work Phone: 1-214-997-0750 |
|E-Mail : eus...@exu.ericsson.se | |
| engs...@airmail.net | |

Jauder Ho

Sep 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/20/95
WordBrew
BeerMe
Champange

--
COMPONENT EQUIVALENCY NOTICE: The Subatomic Particles (Electrons, Protons,
etc.) Comprising This Message Are Exactly the Same in Every Measurable

Stephan Kretschmer

Sep 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/21/95
Hi

WIX

Stephan
## CrossPoint v3.02 ##

me

Sep 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/25/95

What about Ford Prefect?

-pz

Ferdinand Goldmann

Sep 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/25/95
Stephan Kretschmer (ste...@people-s.people.de) wrote:
: Hi

: WIX

Hehe. Filthy names for word processors are cool.
How about:

Gatez

?

/ferdl
--
<< In Real Life: Goldmann Ferdinand --= LinuX rules =-- >>
<< IRC : DrAkHaI 8^) --= the world =-- >>

Pete Akerson

Sep 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/26/95

Well, 'word perfect' sort of sopunds like 'bird perfect', so
a perfect bird name : Dodo. sort of fits in with the o'Reilly
book cover scheme too.

-P

Greg Spiegelberg

Oct 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/10/95
Clayton Weaver <cgw...@eskimo.com> said...

Well, I suppose that could have been nothing or said it all. :)

How about calling a Linux word proc. ``Lexemes''?

Greg "TwoTone" Spiegelberg
gspi...@ridgecrest.ca.us