Desktop Linux

Snit

May 1, 2012, 10:40:37 AM5/1/12
<http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20120501.gif>

Not 100% true... but more true than it should be.

--
🙈🙉🙊

Nobody

Jul 31, 2012, 12:56:36 PM7/31/12
On 5/1/2012 9:40 AM, Snit wrote:
> <http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20120501.gif>
>
> Not 100% true... but more true than it should be.

If you used Ubuntu, as you claimed to do, and more, to have moved others
to it, and support "clients" on it, you ought to know that cartoon is
100% untrue WRT Linux.

What's more, the cartoon shows a tablet or smartphone, but you titled
your post "Desktop Linux."

Snit

Jul 31, 2012, 2:20:28 PM7/31/12
On 7/31/12 9:56 AM, in article jv92oo$5ns$1...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
One: Unity is not exactly well received so far.
Two: Not all desktop Linux distros are Ubuntu.

Glad I could help you!

--
* cc was unable to post a set of data that went back to 2007.
* cc is unable to post an Excel Workbook or otherwise back his claims.

Nobody

Jul 31, 2012, 2:31:14 PM7/31/12
On 7/31/2012 1:20 PM, Snit wrote:
> On 7/31/12 9:56 AM, in article jv92oo$5ns$1...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
> <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/1/2012 9:40 AM, Snit wrote:
>>> <http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20120501.gif>
>>>
>>> Not 100% true... but more true than it should be.
>>
>> If you used Ubuntu, as you claimed to do, and more, to have moved others
>> to it, and support "clients" on it, you ought to know that cartoon is
>> 100% untrue WRT Linux.
>>
>> What's more, the cartoon shows a tablet or smartphone, but you titled
>> your post "Desktop Linux."
>>
> One: Unity is not exactly well received so far.

I love Unity. You may know substantiate your claim it is not well
received.

> Two: Not all desktop Linux distros are Ubuntu.

Which desktop Linux distro supports your post about a tablet/smart phone
device?

> Glad I could help you!

When did you help me?

Snit

Jul 31, 2012, 2:51:29 PM7/31/12
On 7/31/12 11:31 AM, in article jv98a6$heh$1...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
Before I respond to your every whim about supporting every little thing,
support your idiotic claims. A partial list of your recent unsupported
claims (and it keeps growing!):

1) Your claims about what the Linux distro sites say (I have proved my
point about their believe they offer their own OS, you have just
offered nay-saying).
2) Your claims about sock puppetry (not true and no support)
3) Your claim about how it two OSs have the same shell commands
then they are the same OS (this is just stupid)
4) Your claim about me not knowing what a shell is or how it
works.
5) Your claim that desktop Linux has about 5% user base
6) Your claim that companies are paying MS simply to not have to
pay court costs as opposed to the publicly stated reasons.
7) Apple's computer sales are from " just updates and upgrades to
existing users"
8) I wish for people to be anything other than intelligent.
9) Apple "stole" the iPad, OS X, rounded rectangles, etc.

You just make things up and hope you are not called on your BS. Come on,
"Nobody", why not try to back *anything* you say?

owl

Jul 31, 2012, 3:18:07 PM7/31/12
IIRC, your point was one of referencing the marketing claims of distro
sites in order to counter the idea that they are not different OSes.
Something along the lines of, "So you think you know better than the
distro sites?"

> 2) Your claims about sock puppetry (not true and no support)
> 3) Your claim about how it two OSs have the same shell commands
> then they are the same OS (this is just stupid)
> 4) Your claim about me not knowing what a shell is or how it
> works.
> 5) Your claim that desktop Linux has about 5% user base

I would not discount this.

> 6) Your claim that companies are paying MS simply to not have to
> pay court costs as opposed to the publicly stated reasons.

That sounds reasonable.

> 7) Apple's computer sales are from " just updates and upgrades to
> existing users"

This is almost surely the case.

JEDIDIAH

Jul 31, 2012, 4:06:43 PM7/31/12
On 2012-07-31, Nobody <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 7/31/2012 1:20 PM, Snit wrote:
>> On 7/31/12 9:56 AM, in article jv92oo$5ns$1...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
>> <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

I find most of my frustration comes not from engineers versus designer but
MBAs that tend to cripple devices unecessarily making things expert-hostile
when they don't really need to be.

user-friendly and expert-hostile aren't mutually exclusive.

A jailbroken iDevice handily demonstrates that.

>>> If you used Ubuntu, as you claimed to do, and more, to have moved others
>>> to it, and support "clients" on it, you ought to know that cartoon is
>>> 100% untrue WRT Linux.
>>>
>>> What's more, the cartoon shows a tablet or smartphone, but you titled
>>> your post "Desktop Linux."
>>>
>> One: Unity is not exactly well received so far.

Unity doesn't need to be. Linux can accomodate multiple choices.

What most people complain about is how GNOME2 was completely knackered in the proces.

> I love Unity. You may know substantiate your claim it is not well
> received.
>
>> Two: Not all desktop Linux distros are Ubuntu.

They all share the same components. While Unity is a fork it is still
based on the same core ideas as what it was forked from (namely GNOME3).

> Which desktop Linux distro supports your post about a tablet/smart phone
> device?

Ubuntu actually does. Give people the freedom to act and they do all
sorts of weird things like get Ubuntu running on Android tablets.

[deletia]

--
It's a great paradox. |||
/ | \

TomB

Jul 31, 2012, 5:54:21 PM7/31/12
On 2012-07-31, the following emerged from the brain of Nobody:

8<

> When did you help me?

He helps us all, all the time!

Hadron

Aug 1, 2012, 2:42:59 AM8/1/12
Nobody <inv...@invalid.com> writes:

> On 7/31/2012 1:20 PM, Snit wrote:
>> On 7/31/12 9:56 AM, in article jv92oo$5ns$1...@news.albasani.net, "Nobody"
>> <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> If you used Ubuntu, as you claimed to do, and more, to have moved others
>>> to it, and support "clients" on it, you ought to know that cartoon is
>>> 100% untrue WRT Linux.
>>>
>>> What's more, the cartoon shows a tablet or smartphone, but you titled
>>> your post "Desktop Linux."
>>>
>> One: Unity is not exactly well received so far.
>
> I love Unity. You may know substantiate your claim it is not well received.

Are you retarded or merely unaware of Linux forums?

Foster

Aug 1, 2012, 8:45:58 AM8/1/12
I would say both.

Snit

Aug 3, 2012, 4:16:42 PM8/3/12
On 7/31/12 12:18 PM, in article sne8...@rooftop.invalid, "owl"
<o...@rooftop.invalid> wrote:

>> Before I respond to your every whim about supporting every little thing,
>> support your idiotic claims. A partial list of your recent unsupported
>> claims (and it keeps growing!):
>
>> 1) Your claims about what the Linux distro sites say (I have proved my
>> point about their believe they offer their own OS, you have just
>> offered nay-saying).
>
> IIRC, your point was one of referencing the marketing claims of distro
> sites in order to counter the idea that they are not different OSes.
> Something along the lines of, "So you think you know better than the
> distro sites?"

My point is the distro sites refer to making their own OSs. I have been
very clear that it is not a black and white issue and that I have no problem
with others seeing it differently. I do have a problem with people lying
and denying that is what the distro sites said. You provide a claim you
attribute to me, above. If you can show where I said that or something
similar I will happily acknowledge an error of mine... though frankly you
likely made it up. But if not I will admit to any such error. I do not
have a problem admitting to my errors.

>> 2) Your claims about sock puppetry (not true and no support)
>> 3) Your claim about how it two OSs have the same shell commands
>> then they are the same OS (this is just stupid)
>> 4) Your claim about me not knowing what a shell is or how it
>> works.
>> 5) Your claim that desktop Linux has about 5% user base
>
> I would not discount this.

Well, there is no reasonable backing and there is strong counter evidence
(web stats).

>> 6) Your claim that companies are paying MS simply to not have to
>> pay court costs as opposed to the publicly stated reasons.
>
> That sounds reasonable.

It is completely unsupported. That does not mean it is disproved, but there
is no backing for it. The idea that the public face is not the whole
picture is reasonable, but that does not imply what the "back room" deals
are.

>> 7) Apple's computer sales are from " just updates and upgrades to
>> existing users"
>
> This is almost surely the case.

It is absurd... and the growth of the user base of OS X users makes it
almost impossible (though if the average user is increasing their number of
devices at a pretty high rate it is not entirely impossible - but it is a
pretty silly assumption).

>> 8) I wish for people to be anything other than intelligent.
>> 9) Apple "stole" the iPad, OS X, rounded rectangles, etc.
>
>> You just make things up and hope you are not called on your BS. Come on,
>> "Nobody", why not try to back *anything* you say?

Interesting how many of "Nobody"s claims you ignore. You will not call him
out on how absurd they are. Or how absurd he is in general.

Snit

Aug 3, 2012, 4:21:08 PM8/3/12
On 7/31/12 1:06 PM, in article slrnk1gem...@nomad.mishnet, "JEDIDIAH"
<je...@nomad.mishnet> wrote:

>> Which desktop Linux distro supports your post about a tablet/smart phone
>> device?
>
> Ubuntu actually does. Give people the freedom to act and they do all
> sorts of weird things like get Ubuntu running on Android tablets.

Interesting that your example is not one that directly related to getting
any actual work done.

It is a difference in philosophy: you look at "freedom"... many others look
at getting tasks done.