It is official: Apple beats Microsoft as the most valuable company

1 view

Ramon F Herrera

May 26, 2010, 6:23:35 PM5/26/10

Apple topples Microsoft's throne

By Blake Ellis, staff reporterMay 26, 2010: 6:10 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Microsoft's dominance as the tech
industry's most valuable player has ended.

On Wednesday, Apple's market capitalization edged past its longtime
rival's as investors made official what consumers have long suggested:
Microsoft is no longer the industry's alpha dog.

Just last month, Microsoft's market cap exceeded Apple's by about $25
billion, but now Apple is in the lead by nearly $3 billion.

[more here...]

http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/26/technology/apple_microsoft

-Ramon

ps: I am been waiting since 1984 to say this: "I told you!!"

RayLopez99

May 27, 2010, 4:40:01 AM5/27/10
On May 27, 1:23 am, Ramon F Herrera <ra...@conexus.net> wrote:
> Apple topples Microsoft's throne
>
> ps: I am been waiting since 1984 to say this: "I told you!!"

So, is AAPL a buy then Herrera? Or is MSFT? You are the stock wizard
I'm sure.

RL

Roy Schestowitz

May 27, 2010, 6:49:02 AM5/27/10

Ramon F Herrera

May 27, 2010, 11:52:40 AM5/27/10

I am sorry to disappoint you, tocayo. I am not the stock wizard. I
only care about the stock of my small (more like tiny) company.

-Ramon

(*) http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltConsulta?TIPO_BUS=3&LEMA=tocayo

MuahMan

May 27, 2010, 1:08:44 PM5/27/10

How has your life changed since Apple has overtaken Microsoft? It
must have had some sort of positive impact for you to mention it.

chrisv

May 27, 2010, 1:26:43 PM5/27/10
Ramon F Herrera wrote:

>Apple topples Microsoft's throne

Micro$oft is the BP of software companies. 8)

Edwin

May 27, 2010, 2:06:53 PM5/27/10

MFST
Gross Profit (ttm): 46.28B

APPL
Gross Profit (ttm): 17.22B

--
"My aunt bought herself a used Dell" -- Alan Baker

KDT

May 27, 2010, 2:12:44 PM5/27/10

So exactly where are you getting either of these "profit" numbers from?

Lloyd Parsons

May 27, 2010, 2:18:51 PM5/27/10
In article <4pcqjv3qt1h$.1sb6nnfu...@40tude.net>,
Edwin <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

How about net profit? Gross profit means jack and shit and jack left
town... :)

--
Lloyd

Edwin

May 27, 2010, 2:19:36 PM5/27/10

Yahoo!Finance.

Switch to Windows. Google doesn't seem to work too well from a Mac.

Lloyd Parsons

May 27, 2010, 2:19:51 PM5/27/10
In article
<590c8f7e-35f3-4d5a...@u7g2000vbq.googlegroups.com>,
KDT <scarf...@yahoo.com> wrote:

You didn't notice the brown color of the numbers? :)

--
Lloyd

Edwin

May 27, 2010, 2:22:30 PM5/27/10

Being full of sh*t is affecting your vision again, Lloyd.

My numbers are easily verified.

Edwin

May 27, 2010, 2:29:00 PM5/27/10

Your iPad toy must not be able to access Yahoo!Financial. Or did BestBuy
just stop letting you play with their demo units?

MSFT
Net Income Avl to Common (ttm): 17.29B

APPL
Net Income Avl to Common (ttm): 10.81B

Lloyd Parsons

May 27, 2010, 2:33:56 PM5/27/10
In article <l6a5gc0jloz8.1gwoaooeu0m0v$.d...@40tude.net>,
Edwin <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

so Apple keeps more of the gross than does MS, interesting....

And I could look it up, but then you wouldn't be able to make some
snarky remark and I wouldn't want to deprive you of the joy it seems to
bring you!

--
Lloyd

Edwin

May 27, 2010, 2:42:37 PM5/27/10

Having less net profit does not mean "Apple keeps more of the gross."

Apple's gross and net profits are both much less than those of Microsoft.

> And I could look it up, but then you wouldn't be able to make some
> snarky remark and I wouldn't want to deprive you of the joy it seems to
> bring you!

You make a fool out of yourself because you think I enjoy it? You're
right, dumbass! LOL

KDT

May 27, 2010, 3:27:56 PM5/27/10

Just as I suspected. Those numbers aren't "gross profits". Those
numbers are *Revenue*. Please learn the difference between profit and
revenue

Homer

May 27, 2010, 3:29:30 PM5/27/10
Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:

> Ramon F Herrera wrote:
>
>> Apple topples Microsoft's throne
>
> Micro$oft is the BP of software companies. 8)

More like a greasy KFC being kicked by a slightly less greasy McDonalds.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| When all else fails, MOVE.L 4.W,A6 and JSR -726(A6)
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
20:29:16 up 57 days, 6:19, 3 users, load average: 0.08, 0.09, 0.05

Homer

May 27, 2010, 3:23:39 PM5/27/10
Verily I say unto thee, that MuahMan spake thusly:

> How has your life changed since Apple has overtaken Microsoft? It
> must have had some sort of positive impact for you to mention it.

It's called hope, although it may be somewhat misguided, since as much
as I too hope for the demise of a corporate tyrant like Microsoft, I'd
also hope that tyrant wasn't simply replaced by another like Apple.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| When all else fails, MOVE.L 4.W,A6 and JSR -726(A6)
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5

20:23:15 up 57 days, 6:13, 3 users, load average: 0.02, 0.08, 0.04

MuahMan

May 27, 2010, 3:34:58 PM5/27/10
On May 27, 3:23 pm, Homer <use...@slated.org> wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee, that MuahMan spake thusly:
>
> > How has your life changed since Apple has overtaken Microsoft?  It
> > must have had some sort of positive impact for you to mention it.
>
> It's called hope, although it may be somewhat misguided, since as much
> as I too hope for the demise of a corporate tyrant like Microsoft, I'd
> also hope that tyrant wasn't simply replaced by another like Apple.
>
> --
> K.http://slated.org

> .----
> | When all else fails, MOVE.L 4.W,A6 and JSR -726(A6)
> `----
>
> Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
>  20:23:15 up 57 days,  6:13,  3 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.08, 0.04

In recent years (past 5 years) who would you say is the bigger tyrant?
Apple or Microsoft. Keep in mind Bill Gates retired and is spending
billions a year on philanthropy and Steve Jobs jumped the donor line
and stole a liver. Apple is trying to put Adobe out of business.
Apple is influence local law enforcement officials to kick in the
doors of private citizens. Apple is employing thousands of slaves in
China. They hire slaves make an iPhone for around .87 cents then sell
it for $800.00 US. Apple is being investigated for anti-trust
violations. Steve Jobs is being investigated for shady stock
dealings.....

Edwin

May 27, 2010, 3:43:57 PM5/27/10

Those numbers labeled as "gross profits" aren't gross profits?

> Those numbers are *Revenue*.

Even though they are labeled as gross profits?

> Please learn the difference between profit and
> revenue

MFST
Revenue (ttm): 59.54B

APPL
Revenue (ttm): 51.12B

You should go get a CAT scan.

Tim Murray

May 27, 2010, 4:12:52 PM5/27/10
Edwin wrote:
> MFST
> Gross Profit (ttm): 46.28B
>
> APPL
> Gross Profit (ttm): 17.22B

We're talking about the overall *value* of the companies; what their *worth*
is. Your chiming in with gross profit doesn't mean squat. Please, let the
adults speak here.

DFS

May 27, 2010, 4:19:05 PM5/27/10

chrisv is the septic tank for cola posters

DFS

May 27, 2010, 4:28:22 PM5/27/10
On 5/27/2010 3:23 PM, Homer wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee, that MuahMan spake thusly:
>
>> How has your life changed since Apple has overtaken Microsoft? It
>> must have had some sort of positive impact for you to mention it.
>
> It's called hope, although it may be somewhat misguided, since as much
> as I too hope for the demise of a corporate tyrant like Microsoft, I'd
> also hope that tyrant wasn't simply replaced by another like Apple.

As the sage amicus_curious once said: "hope is what replaces action when
you run out of ideas"

Technically, the Linux/OSS world never had any ideas of its own (hedge:
that I know of).

DFS

May 27, 2010, 4:30:14 PM5/27/10

There are lots of ways to measure the value of a company, public or
otherwise.

Ask your Daddy.

Edwin

May 27, 2010, 4:45:03 PM5/27/10
On Thu, 27 May 2010 16:12:52 -0400, Tim Murray wrote:

> Edwin wrote:
>> MFST
>> Gross Profit (ttm): 46.28B
>>
>> APPL
>> Gross Profit (ttm): 17.22B
>>

> We're talking about the overall *value* of the companies; what their *worth*
> is.

Market cap has nothing to do with the value of the company. People found
that out the hard way during the Dot Com bubble.

> Your chiming in with gross profit doesn't mean squat.

Not to somebody with your limitations.

> Please, let the adults speak here.

That means I should speak and you should shut up.

Homer

May 27, 2010, 4:59:26 PM5/27/10
Verily I say unto thee, that MuahMan spake thusly:

> In recent years (past 5 years) who would you say is the bigger
> tyrant? Apple or Microsoft.

Microsoft by a country mile, based on their financial prowess and
political influence, and thus their ability (and eagerness) to corrupt
and destroy others.

> Keep in mind Bill Gates retired and is spending billions a year on
> philanthropy

Bill Gates is spending billions a year on lobbying, slush funding and
aid extortion, thinly veiled by philanthropy. That's not exactly what
I'd call altruism.

> and Steve Jobs jumped the donor line and stole a liver.

What's one "dead peasant" [1] compared to the millions Gates helps kill
with his "aid" partners like Monsanto?

> Apple is trying to put Adobe out of business. Apple is influence
> local law enforcement officials to kick in the doors of private
> citizens. Apple is employing thousands of slaves in China. They hire
> slaves make an iPhone for around .87 cents then sell it for $800.00
> US. Apple is being investigated for anti-trust violations. Steve
> Jobs is being investigated for shady stock dealings.....

Steve Jobs is also waging war against freedom and altruism, as he
apparently wants to "go after Theora" [2]. Yes, I'm well aware of what
Messiah Jobs is.

But purely in quantitative terms, so far anyway, Microsoft is a much
bigger threat to our freedom, even if their smaller (now bigger [3])
cousin is just as evil.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_peasant_insurance
[2] http://hugoroy.eu/jobs-os.php
[3] http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/26/apple-microsoft-market-cap-2/

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| When all else fails, MOVE.L 4.W,A6 and JSR -726(A6)
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5

21:59:01 up 57 days, 7:49, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00

Rick

May 27, 2010, 5:11:25 PM5/27/10

One Shot, One Kill

May 27, 2010, 5:57:01 PM5/27/10

"chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> Ramon F Herrera wrote:
>
>>Apple topples Microsoft's throne
>
> Micro$oft is the BP of software companies. 8)

chrisv is a liar. chrisv is a fscking piece of shit.

Rex Ballard

May 27, 2010, 6:12:06 PM5/27/10
On May 26, 6:23 pm, Ramon F Herrera <ra...@conexus.net> wrote:
> Apple topples Microsoft's throne
> By Blake Ellis, staff reporterMay 26, 2010: 6:10 PM ET

> NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Microsoft's dominance as the tech
> industry's most valuable player has ended.

This is a chart that really shows the ugly situation for Microsoft.

Company MarketCap Revenue ProfitMargin OpMargin
IBM 162B 96 B 14.7% 19%
MSFT 227B 59 B 29% 38%
AAPL 230B 51 B 21% 29%
HPQ 110B 120 B 7% 10%
DELL 26B 52 B 3% 5%

Microsoft is a pure software play, while AAPL is a hardware and
software play. So AAPL should be making profits similar to Dell or
HP, right?

The only problem is that even though HP and Dell are making big
revenue, they are only making 3% profit margins - while Microsoft
gets' 38% profit margins.

Apple has it's own software so it can charge more for it's highly
differentiated and distinguished products.

IBM uses Linux, AIX, and Z/OS and as a result makes better profit
margins that either Dell or HP.

Moral of the story - if you make yourself dependent on Microsoft
Windows - you make Microsoft rich while you figure out how to cut
costs to the bone in order to show any profit at all. On the other
hand, if you maintain independence - choosing to support UNIX and
Linux - you make substantially higher profits.

Gateway and E-Machines didn't learn that in time - they are now owned
by Acer which is privately held.

Internationally, Acer has maintained a level of independence - and
it's paid off.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=2353.TW

Taiwan Acer's April sales up by 25 pct y/y
http://www.reuters.com/article/idCNTPV00152820100510?rpc=44

> On Wednesday, Apple's market capitalization edged past its longtime
> rival's as investors made official what consumers have long suggested:
> Microsoft is no longer the industry's alpha dog.

The hype from Microsoft's Windows 7 is wearing out, and OEMs are
likely to push for many concessions from Microsoft this year. This is
likely to include configuration flexibility, as well as more control
over ads and packaging that use the Microsoft trademarks.

Google has been courting OEMs as well, with it's Chrome OS, and in
spite of the highly publicized (in this group) problems with Lucid
Lynx, Chrome/Ubuntu is likely to be installed co-resident with Windows
in the very near future.

> Just last month, Microsoft's market cap exceeded Apple's by about $25
> billion, but now Apple is in the lead by nearly $3 billion.

It also appears that Microsoft's stock is likely to fall more
dramatically.

Meanwhile, Apple's growth rate has been relatively "boring" - the
growth rate is very predictable, as are revenue and growth targets.
As a CEO, Steve really knows his company's financials and plays his
cards close to the cuff. He doesn't depend on vaporware to hype for
failure of products - and even seems a bit upset that Apple's newest
iPhone, which won't be out for several months, was discovered by a
reporter.

> [more here...]
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/26/technology/apple_microsoft
>
> -Ramon
>
> ps: I am been waiting since 1984 to say this: "I told you!!"

Steve's biggest problem is that he won't give up control of any aspect
of OS/X. If he had licensed MacOS to OEMs back in 1984, or even 1985,
he might have been able to shut Microsoft down. Instead, he wouldn't
even let his own customers add memory - which gave Microsoft several
years to catch up - just by offering vapor-ware to the OEMs who hyped
Windows 1, Windows 2, Windows 286 and Windows 386 - like they were
real products.

Microsoft didn't have a functional version of Windows until Windows
3.1, which came out in late 1992,

<q>Windows 3.1 Multimedia PC Version (Beta only, released Nov 1992 —
codenamed Bombay) Included a media viewer, and the ability to play
video files. It was targeted to the new multi-media PC and included
sound and video integration with CD-ROM support.</q>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_3.1

<q>The features listed above and growing market support from
application software developers made Windows 3.0 wildly successful,
selling around 10 million copies in the two years before the release
of version 3.1. Windows 3.0 became a major source of income for
Microsoft, and led the company to revise some of its earlier plans. It
was discontinued on 31 December 2001.[1]</q>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Windows

Hard to imagine that Windows 3.0 only sold 10 million copies, isn't
it?
Acer and ASUS sold over 10 million Linux powered NetBooks in it's
first MONTH!

Apple only sells about 10 million Macs a year.
And several million iPhones
And several million iPods

They all run Unix (OS/X).

Tim Murray

May 27, 2010, 6:22:54 PM5/27/10
Edwin wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2010 16:12:52 -0400, Tim Murray wrote:
>
>> Edwin wrote:
>>> MFST
>>> Gross Profit (ttm): 46.28B
>>>
>>> APPL
>>> Gross Profit (ttm): 17.22B
>>>

>> We're talking about the overall *value* of the companies; what their
>> *worth* is.
>
> Market cap has nothing to do with the value of the company. People found
> that out the hard way during the Dot Com bubble.

Idiot. Google for definitions of market cap, and show me one that does not
include the value of the company as a whole (and if you do find one that
doesn't, I'll show you 30 that do). Dot com valuations were made on smoke;
you didn't even have to show how you would make any money!

Terry Porter

May 27, 2010, 6:48:37 PM5/27/10
On Thu, 27 May 2010 15:12:06 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:

> Moral of the story - if you make yourself dependent on Microsoft Windows
> - you make Microsoft rich while you figure out how to cut costs to the
> bone in order to show any profit at all. On the other hand, if you
> maintain independence - choosing to support UNIX and Linux - you make
> substantially higher profits.

A fact that has not gone unnoticed by hardware companies.

--
This quadcore running Gnu/Linux Archlinux 2009.08 X86_64 and posting via
Pan.

MuahMan

May 27, 2010, 6:55:21 PM5/27/10

Of course Apple has high profits. All their stuff is built by grade
school age children making 19 cents a day for an 18 hour shift.

Tim Murray

May 27, 2010, 7:02:50 PM5/27/10

Did I mention high profits?

DFS

May 27, 2010, 7:15:55 PM5/27/10
On 5/27/2010 6:12 PM, Rex Ballard wrote:

> Chrome/Ubuntu is likely to be installed co-resident with Windows
> in the very near future.

In what alternate fantasy universe will this likely event occur?

KDT

May 27, 2010, 7:27:05 PM5/27/10
On May 27, 4:59 pm, Homer <use...@slated.org> wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee, that MuahMan spake thusly:

> Steve Jobs is also waging war against freedom and altruism, as he

> apparently wants to "go after Theora" [2]. Yes, I'm well aware of what
> Messiah Jobs is.

Newsflash: There are dozens of companies that are part of the H.264
patent pool. Jobs doesn't control patent pool.

KDT

May 27, 2010, 7:30:52 PM5/27/10

Okay they were "gross profits" -- before expenses. Why in the world
did you pull out a number between revenue and net income?

KDT

May 27, 2010, 7:32:45 PM5/27/10

Yeah let's use another number then --- enterprise value:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/apple-is-now-worth-more-than-microsoft/?news=123

"here are other ways to look at the value of a company, but in terms
of the enterprise value, Apple is worth $200 billion, while Microsoft
is worth a measly $197 billion."

So do you have a better number besides market value or enterprise
value?

KDT

May 27, 2010, 7:35:44 PM5/27/10
On May 27, 4:45 pm, Edwin <thorn...@juno.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2010 16:12:52 -0400, Tim Murray wrote:
> > Edwin wrote:
> >> MFST
> >> Gross Profit (ttm):    46.28B
>
> >> APPL
> >> Gross Profit (ttm):    17.22B
>
> > We're talking about the overall *value* of the companies; what their *worth*
> > is.
>
> Market cap has nothing to do with the value of the company.   People found
> that out the hard way during the Dot Com bubble.

In a capitalist society, something is worth whatever someone is
willing to pay. The capital markets have decided that Apple is worth
more than Microsoft.

Even if you go with the theoretical method of valuing a company based
on the net present value of all future earnings -- no that value is
not infinite -- and seeing that Microsoft is basically stagnant and
Apple's revenues and profits are still growing, Apple is still worth
more than Microsoft.

KDT

May 27, 2010, 7:38:34 PM5/27/10
On May 27, 6:48 pm, Terry Porter <linu...@netspace.net.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2010 15:12:06 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:
>
> > Moral of the story - if you make yourself dependent on Microsoft Windows
> > - you make Microsoft rich while you figure out how to cut costs to the
> > bone in order to show any profit at all.  On the other hand, if you
> > maintain independence - choosing to support UNIX and Linux - you make
> > substantially higher profits.
>
> A fact that has not gone unnoticed by hardware companies.

How is using an open source OS (Android) working out for Motorola?
How is working out for Nokia? Hint: Apple makes more selling iPhones
than either one.

DFS

May 27, 2010, 7:53:18 PM5/27/10

What does "better" mean?

nessuno

May 27, 2010, 9:55:30 PM5/27/10
On May 27, 2:19 pm, Lloyd Parsons <lloydpars...@mac.com> wrote:
> In article
> <590c8f7e-35f3-4d5a-8a39-62ff111cb...@u7g2000vbq.googlegroups.com>,

>  KDT <scarface...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > MFST
> > > Gross Profit (ttm):     46.28B
>
> > > APPL
> > > Gross Profit (ttm):     17.22B
>
> > > --
> > > "My aunt bought herself a used Dell"  -- Alan Baker
>
> > So exactly where are you getting either of these "profit" numbers from?
>
> You didn't notice the brown color of the numbers?  :)
>
> --
> Lloyd

It's true that Microsoft's profits are higher than Apple's, even if
now the market cap of Apple exceeds Microsoft's. The market cap
reflects what the market thinks Apple is going to produce in the
future, vs what it thinks Microsoft is going to produce. If you look
at the numbers over the last 10 years, you can see why. Heck, even if
you don't look at the numbers, it's obvious that Apple has been
running circles around Microsoft, which still gets huge profits from
its Windows-Office monopolies, but can't seem to catch up to anyone
anywhere else. Ballmer knows it, too, that's why he fired Bach and
Allard. If you like making money, it's hard not to look at the Apple
figures and wish you had invested 10 years ago. Not many can say that
about Microsoft, apart from Ray Lopez types.

I agree with Homer, Apple certainly seems the less evil empire at this
point, but they're starting to look pretty threatening, too. At least
if Apple takes over the computing world I expect flatfish and Hadron
will be out of a job.

Rick

May 27, 2010, 10:31:43 PM5/27/10

Some people will overpay for almost anything.

--
Rick

Tim Murray

May 27, 2010, 11:23:28 PM5/27/10
DFS wrote:
> What does "better" mean?

Not worse.

Tim Murray

May 27, 2010, 11:24:37 PM5/27/10
Rick wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2010 16:38:34 -0700, KDT wrote:

>>> A fact that has not gone unnoticed by hardware companies.
>>
>> How is using an open source OS (Android) working out for Motorola? How
>> is working out for Nokia? Hint: Apple makes more selling iPhones than
>> either one.
>
> Some people will overpay for almost anything.

And that contradicts ... what?

Rick

May 27, 2010, 11:31:46 PM5/27/10

I dunno... was it supposed to contradict something?

--
Rick

KDT

May 27, 2010, 11:58:27 PM5/27/10

So are Android phones cheaper than iPhones?

Rick

May 28, 2010, 12:00:39 AM5/28/10

Go shopping and see...

--
Rick

RonB

May 28, 2010, 12:04:21 AM5/28/10
Homer wrote:

> It's called hope, although it may be somewhat misguided, since as much
> as I too hope for the demise of a corporate tyrant like Microsoft, I'd
> also hope that tyrant wasn't simply replaced by another like Apple.

In my opinion Apple is worse than Microsoft. Microsoft is a soulless
machine designed to make money. Jobs is a control-freak with a God
complex -- and millions of little cultists are glad to kiss his ass.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"

Snit

May 28, 2010, 12:07:59 AM5/28/10
Rick stated in post kaadnYYWJ-i_pGLW...@supernews.com on
5/27/10 8:31 PM:

> On Thu, 27 May 2010 23:24:37 -0400, Tim Murray wrote:
>
>> Rick wrote:

>>> Some people will overpay for almost anything.
>>>

>> And that contradicts ... what?
>
> I dunno... was it supposed to contradict something?

The point is, and you clearly missed it, is that your comment made no real
and relevant point. Not even you know if it was supposed to contradict
anything - it was said to sound clever without saying a thing.

And Tim and I - and I am sure others - saw right through your comments

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Snit

May 28, 2010, 12:08:21 AM5/28/10
RonB stated in post htnfc5$68h$1...@news.eternal-september.org on 5/27/10 9:04
PM:

Who?

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Rex Ballard

May 28, 2010, 12:18:53 AM5/28/10

Negotiations with the OEMs usually starts right about now, and
normally conclude in early July, which gives Microsoft about a month
to spin any significant changes to revenue models.

Back in the days when computers barely had enough hard drive, memory,
and CPU to support Windows, and nobody made a GUI based OS that could
support the wide diversity of hardware typically used in most PCs, it
made sense to agree to pre-install Windows, and only Windows, as the
sole operating system.

When Microsoft tried to replace Windows 3.1 with Windows NT 3.1 and
3.5, it created a huge problem for Microsoft. Many OEMs had been
looking at OS/2, UnixWare, and Solaris, and when Windows NT 3.x came
out and needed substantially more memory, CPU, and hard drive. Many
corporations who tried the upgrade were very public about their desire
to NOT do Windows NT. After nearly 2 years of Vaporware, Bill
announced another round of VaporWare - "Chicago" - and when OEMs
started getting fed up with the 4 year wait, Bill announced it as
"Windows 95" to indicate that it would be available in Windows 95.
Unfortunately, the stable version, Windows 95B wasn't available until
almost a year later (April 1996).

Microsoft got an extension, and more power, with Windows 95 and
Windows 98, where they slipped in clauses that limited the ability of
OEMs to include other software. Eventually, Compaq and Gateway
couldn't even put in 3rd party software without getting prior written
approval. If it was something that didn't compete with Microsoft,
they MIGHT be able to pre-install it.

In spite of the dismal failure of Windows ME and the slow start of
Windows XP, the manufacturers were willing to continue with Microsoft,
primarily because Microsoft had successfully "Force Fed" Windows XP
Professional into corporate customers- whether they wanted it or not.

But then came Vista, which was very much rejected by the market,
ranking up there with Windows NT 3.x and Windows ME in terms of it's
failure to generate revenue, profits, and capture market share.
Windows 7 is getting the left-handed compliment of "It's better than
Vista", but this isn't really an endorsement. It's more of an attempt
to placate upset Vista users.

Dell is making profit margins of 3% and most of that is AFTER cutting
staff, cutting costs to the bone, and subsidizing the Laptop market
with the Server market revenues. Dell makes profit on it's Linux
servers that keep the Laptop division alive.

And NetBook hasn't helped. Instead, Windows 7 on NetBooks has put
more downward pressure on NoteBook prices. And with Acer and ASUS now
offering very aggressive prices on laptops, the margins on Notebooks
are negative.

The problem now is that Windows is so disk-bound that even though you
can get quad-core processors, 8 gigabytes of RAM, and 7200 RPM drives
on a laptop, the performance is actually SLOWER than Windows XP
running on a single 1 Ghz processor with 5400 RPM hard drive and 1 GB
of RAM - the typical NetBook configuration - including the option that
more NetBook vendors are switching to.

NetBook makers have already declared their intent to get around
Microsoft's threats of suing them for full retail price of Windows -
by using ARM chips in the NetBooks. They can't be called SmartBooks,
but the Madison Avenue boys will come up with some clever name for the
new Linux devices and tablets.

It's possible that Google will have a hand in this. DroidBooks?
ChromeBooks? LinBooks? P-Books (P for Penguin) or T-Books ( for Tux).

Microsoft is being confronted with the reality that if they refuse to
play nice with Linux and/or Unix variants, that they may end up being
excluded from entire lines.

KDT

May 28, 2010, 1:21:39 AM5/28/10

Sprint:

HTC Hero (2GB): $99
Samsung Moment (2GB): $99

Verizon:

All Android phones are between $79 - $199

AT&T
Motorala BackFlip $99

The iPhone costs between $99 (8GB) and $299 (32GB). Actually right
this second you can get a 16GB iPhone 3GS for $97 from Walmart.

As you were saying?

KDT

May 28, 2010, 1:23:02 AM5/28/10
On May 27, 7:53 pm, DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote:
> On 5/27/2010 7:32 PM, KDT wrote:

> >> There are lots of ways to measure the value of a company, public or
> >> otherwise.
>
> >> Ask your Daddy.
>
> > Yeah let's use another number then --- enterprise value:
>
> >http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/apple-is-now-worth-more-than-m...

> > "here are other ways to look at the value of a company, but in terms
> > of the enterprise value, Apple is worth $200 billion, while Microsoft
> > is worth a measly $197 billion."
>
> > So do you have a better number besides market value or enterprise
> > value?
>
> What does "better" mean?

So what are these "other ways" that are commonly accepted besides
market cap and enterprise value?

Rick

May 28, 2010, 6:07:39 AM5/28/10

Homer

May 28, 2010, 6:46:44 AM5/28/10
Verily I say unto thee, that KDT spake thusly:

No, but he obviously supports it with great enthusiasm, judging by his
sarcastic attitude towards "open source" in the quoted article. This is
not someone reluctantly being swept up by a greater movement waging war
on our liberty; Steve Jobs is one of the main protagonists, who sneers
and makes threats against its victims.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| When all else fails, MOVE.L 4.W,A6 and JSR -726(A6)
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
11:46:28 up 57 days, 21:36, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00

Chris Ahlstrom

May 28, 2010, 6:57:30 AM5/28/10
nessuno pulled this Usenet boner:

> I agree with Homer, Apple certainly seems the less evil empire at this
> point, but they're starting to look pretty threatening, too. At least
> if Apple takes over the computing world I expect flatfish and Hadron
> will be out of a job.

Try visualizing them as Mac fanbois. :-D

--
"They ought to make butt-flavored cat food." --Gallagher

Tattoo Vampire

May 28, 2010, 7:00:39 AM5/28/10
Snit wrote:

> The

Snit, if I send you a computer to work on, will you shut up for a day or
two?

--
Regards,
[tv]

...If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?

Tattoo Vampire

May 28, 2010, 7:02:23 AM5/28/10
KDT wrote:

> AT&T
> Motorala BackFlip $99

My boss bought one of these and I had to show her how to use some of the
features. It is a pretty slick little phone... my first look at Android...
and I really like the interface.

KDT

May 28, 2010, 7:14:47 AM5/28/10
On May 28, 6:46 am, Homer <use...@slated.org> wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee, that KDT spake thusly:
>
> > On May 27, 4:59 pm, Homer <use...@slated.org> wrote:
> >> Verily I say unto thee, that MuahMan spake thusly:
>
> >> Steve Jobs is also waging war against freedom and altruism, as he
> >> apparently wants to "go after Theora" [2]. Yes, I'm well aware of
> >> what Messiah Jobs is.
>
> > Newsflash:  There are dozens of companies that are part of the H.264
> > patent pool.  Jobs doesn't control patent pool.
>
> No, but he obviously supports it with great enthusiasm, judging by his
> sarcastic attitude towards "open source" in the quoted article. This is
> not someone reluctantly being swept up by a greater movement waging war
> on our liberty; Steve Jobs is one of the main protagonists, who sneers
> and makes threats against its victims.
</sarcasm>
You're right, I keep forgetting how Apple refuses to use any open
source code or contribute any of its code back to the open source
community.....
<sarcasm>

KDT

May 28, 2010, 7:16:22 AM5/28/10

So is everyone buying an Android (usually with less memory) for the
same price as an iPhone also overpaying?

Rick

May 28, 2010, 7:29:10 AM5/28/10

Is the phone the only thing they are getting?

--
Rick

DFS

May 28, 2010, 8:06:17 AM5/28/10
On 5/28/2010 12:18 AM, Rex Ballard wrote:
> On May 27, 7:15 pm, DFS<nospam@dfs_.com> wrote:
>> On 5/27/2010 6:12 PM, Rex Ballard wrote:
>
>>> Chrome/Ubuntu is likely to be installed co-resident with Windows
>>> in the very near future.
>
>> In what alternate fantasy universe will this likely event occur?
>
> Negotiations with the OEMs usually starts right about now, and
> normally conclude in early July, which gives Microsoft about a month
> to spin any significant changes to revenue models.

You made up every claim in that sentence. You have ZERO knowledge of
Microsoft negotiations with OEMs.

You're a congenital liar.

<snip blabbering irrelevancy. I asked when vendors wil be installing
Ubuntu alongside Windows>

> In spite of the dismal failure of Windows ME and the slow start of
> Windows XP, the manufacturers were willing to continue with Microsoft,
> primarily because Microsoft had successfully "Force Fed" Windows XP
> Professional into corporate customers- whether they wanted it or not.

Curiously, the hobbyware experiment called Linux cannot be force-fed
onto anyone's computer. People overwhelmingly reject it at no cost, so
it's clear the world would have to be paid to run Linux.

Having to pay consumers to use your product isn't a very good business
(or adoption) model. Since so few use their software, what keeps Linux
"developers" going? Anti-MS hatred, of course.

> But then came Vista, which was very much rejected by the market,

Another idiotic statement. Vista reached 24% market share 2 years after
it was released (per marketshare.hitslink.com).

Linux just barely passed 1% at the same site, and has never exceeded 1.1%.

> Dell is making profit margins of 3%

3.8%

http://finapps.forbes.com/finapps/jsp/finance/compinfo/Ratios.jsp?tkr=DELL

Remember, you're a Linux "advocate" and you should never let the facts
get in your way when you're on a good roll, making up numbers and
"facts" willy-nilly.

> and most of that is AFTER cutting
> staff, cutting costs to the bone, and subsidizing the Laptop market
> with the Server market revenues. Dell makes profit on it's Linux
> servers that keep the Laptop division alive.

You made this up. You have ZERO knowledge of Dell's profit on Linux
servers, or how they compare to or support Dell's laptop division results.

> And NetBook hasn't helped. Instead, Windows 7 on NetBooks has put
> more downward pressure on NoteBook prices.

Various cola "advocates" have made the opposite claim.

> And with Acer and ASUS now
> offering very aggressive prices on laptops, the margins on Notebooks
> are negative.

uh huh... let's use your earlier fictitious numbers:

Pay $500 for a Skylight
$0 goes to Microsoft
$100 goes to the hard drive.
$100 goes to the ARM chip and video chip.
$100 goes to the motherboard keyboard and case.
$40 for shipping and handling.

So everybody should be making money.

Then you run OpenOffice, so MS has made $0.

An Antivirus - $0/year
Support program - $160 for 3 years
Replacement Program $240 for 3 years

So your $500 computer ends up costing you $900.

But everyone is losing money?

See how ridiculous you are, Rexford? It's one ludicrous, contradictory,
dishonest, fabricated statement after another.

> The problem now is that Windows is so disk-bound that even though you
> can get quad-core processors, 8 gigabytes of RAM, and 7200 RPM drives
> on a laptop, the performance is actually SLOWER than Windows XP
> running on a single 1 Ghz processor with 5400 RPM hard drive and 1 GB
> of RAM - the typical NetBook configuration - including the option that
> more NetBook vendors are switching to.

I would ask for proof of these silly lies, but you'd just run away again
- as you've done for 5 years when I ask you to support your absurd claims.

You're 50 going on 12.

> NetBook makers have already declared their intent to get around
> Microsoft's threats of suing them for full retail price of Windows -

Where and when and who did MS threaten with this?

<now run away from another lie>

> by using ARM chips in the NetBooks. They can't be called SmartBooks,

Speaking of Linux-ARM netbooks... where are they?

> but the Madison Avenue boys will come up with some clever name for the
> new Linux devices and tablets.
>
> It's possible that Google will have a hand in this. DroidBooks?
> ChromeBooks? LinBooks? P-Books (P for Penguin) or T-Books ( for Tux).

Crapbooks has a nice ring to it.

> Microsoft is being confronted with the reality that if they refuse to
> play nice with Linux and/or Unix variants, that they may end up being
> excluded from entire lines.

I'm sure they're real worried by the Linux netbook juggernaut...

chrisv

May 28, 2010, 8:19:32 AM5/28/10
>Edwin wrote:
>>
>> Market cap has nothing to do with the value of the company.

Wow. That's about as stupid a comment as you'll see...

chrisv

May 28, 2010, 8:24:53 AM5/28/10
nessuno wrote:

>I agree with Homer, Apple certainly seems the less evil empire at this
>point, but they're starting to look pretty threatening, too.

I must say, some of their behavior of late, such as discouraging
cross-platform development, is pretty ugly...

>At least
>if Apple takes over the computing world I expect flatfish and Hadron
>will be out of a job.

"Hadron" will be unhappy as long as Free software remains a viable
alternative.

--
"MS is installed for a reason : people wanted it." - "True Linux
advocate" Hadron Quark

High Plains Thumper

May 28, 2010, 8:59:47 AM5/28/10
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> nessuno pulled:

>> I agree with Homer, Apple certainly seems the less evil empire at this
>> point, but they're starting to look pretty threatening, too. At least
>> if Apple takes over the computing world I expect flatfish and Hadron
>> will be out of a job.
>
> Try visualizing them as Mac fanbois. :-D

With Snit, Zara (and socks included of course) in charge, LOL! ;-)

--
HPT

High Plains Thumper

May 28, 2010, 9:06:52 AM5/28/10
chrisv wrote:

> nessuno wrote:
>
>> At least if Apple takes over the computing world I expect flatfish
>> and Hadron will be out of a job.
>
> "Hadron" will be unhappy as long as Free software remains a viable
> alternative.

Chrisv is a ....

Oops, I'm glad to see The Bee perp hasn't posted his usual repetitive
AIOE moronic reply to you this time, LOL.

What did you do to gain his ire, write a LART and get the twit fired?
(Although I must admit that would have felt welcomed similar to Snit,
but he's unemployed allowing his hard working wife to earn the income so
he can troll both COLA and CSMA; Steve Carroll, Wally, Steve MacKay,
please take note, LOL).

--
HPT

Snit

May 28, 2010, 9:17:32 AM5/28/10
Rick stated in post kaadnYAWJ-h2CGLW...@supernews.com on
5/28/10 3:07 AM:

Please note: you are proving me right about your comments:

-----

The point is, and you clearly missed it, is that your comment
made no real and relevant point. Not even you know if it was
supposed to contradict anything - it was said to sound clever
without saying a thing.

And Tim and I - and I am sure others - saw right through your
comments

-----

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Homer

May 28, 2010, 9:30:01 AM5/28/10
Verily I say unto thee, that KDT spake thusly:

> </sarcasm>

> You're right, I keep forgetting how Apple refuses to use any open
> source code or contribute any of its code back to the open source
> community.....
> <sarcasm>

Yes, they're also ambivalent hypocrites, with blatantly ulterior motives
for "supporting" their own competition with one hand, whilst driving an
iron fist into it with the other.

That's not an embrace, it's a headlock.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| When all else fails, MOVE.L 4.W,A6 and JSR -726(A6)
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5

14:29:44 up 58 days, 20 min, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

chrisv

May 28, 2010, 9:57:55 AM5/28/10
High Plains Thumper wrote:

>chrisv wrote:
>> nessuno wrote:
>>
>>> At least if Apple takes over the computing world I expect flatfish
>>> and Hadron will be out of a job.
>>
>> "Hadron" will be unhappy as long as Free software remains a viable
>> alternative.
>
>Chrisv is a ....

... really great guy. 8)

>Oops, I'm glad to see The Bee perp hasn't posted his usual repetitive
>AIOE moronic reply to you this time, LOL.
>
>What did you do to gain his ire, write a LART and get the twit fired?

I don't know for sure... Maybe it pissed him off when I plonked
someone just for quoting his idiocy. What does he expect? He knows
that he posts *nothing* of value...

KDT

May 28, 2010, 9:58:55 AM5/28/10
On May 28, 9:30 am, Homer <use...@slated.org> wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee, that KDT spake thusly:
>
> > </sarcasm>
> > You're right, I keep forgetting how Apple refuses to use any open
> > source code or contribute any of its code back to the open source
> > community.....
> > <sarcasm>
>
> Yes, they're also ambivalent hypocrites, with blatantly ulterior motives
> for "supporting" their own competition with one hand, whilst driving an
> iron fist into it with the other.
>
> That's not an embrace, it's a headlock.
>
> --
> K.http://slated.org

> .----
> | When all else fails, MOVE.L 4.W,A6 and JSR -726(A6)
> `----
>
> Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
>  14:29:44 up 58 days, 20 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

You mean like Google, IBM, Oracle (now that they own Sun) and every
one else in the industry? Where can I find the source code to
Google's PageRank algorithn? IBM's DB2 software, Oracle's database?

Tim Murray

May 28, 2010, 10:06:40 AM5/28/10

True. But you have yet to make a point.

KDT

May 28, 2010, 10:08:15 AM5/28/10

If you are referring to service fees....AT&T and Verizon charge the
same for all of their smart phones and their prices are basically
identical, Only Sprint is significantly cheaper.

Next?

Edwin

May 28, 2010, 10:16:32 AM5/28/10
On Fri, 28 May 2010 07:24:53 -0500, chrisv wrote:

> nessuno wrote:
>
>>I agree with Homer, Apple certainly seems the less evil empire at this
>>point, but they're starting to look pretty threatening, too.
>
> I must say, some of their behavior of late, such as discouraging
> cross-platform development, is pretty ugly...
>
>>At least
>>if Apple takes over the computing world I expect flatfish and Hadron
>>will be out of a job.
>
> "Hadron" will be unhappy as long as Free software remains a viable
> alternative.

It's a mystery to me why anybody would be against free software. Maybe
you can use it, and maybe you can't, but it's not like anybody is trying to
cheat you by giving you software for free.

--
"My aunt bought herself a used Dell" -- Alan Baker

Edwin

May 28, 2010, 10:31:37 AM5/28/10

The fact Microsoft generates far more profits and hold IP that's worth far
more to the market than the IP Apple holds.

Edwin

May 28, 2010, 10:32:42 AM5/28/10

You forgot to add in the price of the two year AT&T contract to the price
of the iPhone.

Lloyd Parsons

May 28, 2010, 10:38:08 AM5/28/10
In article <j6ix2fgxxhn8.3...@40tude.net>,
Edwin <thor...@juno.com> wrote:

Just like any other phone...

--
Lloyd

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Terry Porter

May 28, 2010, 11:03:36 AM5/28/10
On Fri, 28 May 2010 07:00:39 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

> Snit wrote:
>
>> The
>
> Snit, if I send you a computer to work on, will you shut up for a day or
> two?

ROTFL!

--
This quadcore running Gnu/Linux Archlinux 2009.08 X86_64 and posting via
Pan.

Tim Murray

May 28, 2010, 11:24:00 AM5/28/10
Lewis wrote:
> KDT <scarf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Okay they were "gross profits" -- before expenses. Why in the world
>> did you pull out a number between revenue and net income?
>
> Because they were the most misleading numbers he could find.

And also because he didn't think anyone would notice.

Snit

May 28, 2010, 11:33:46 AM5/28/10
Terry Porter stated in post 2IWdnYLc6PPVRmLW...@netspace.net.au
on 5/28/10 8:03 AM:

> On Fri, 28 May 2010 07:00:39 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
>
>> Snit wrote:
>>
>>> The
>>
>> Snit, if I send you a computer to work on, will you shut up for a day or
>> two?
>

> ROTFL!

At least he admits he cannot fix his computer on his own. Wonder what is
wrong. Any guesses?

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Tim Murray

May 28, 2010, 11:34:03 AM5/28/10
Edwin wrote:
>> Sprint:
>> HTC Hero (2GB): $99
>> Samsung Moment (2GB): $99
>>
>> Verizon:
>> All Android phones are between $79 - $199
>>
>> AT&T
>> Motorala BackFlip $99
>>
>> The iPhone costs between $99 (8GB) and $299 (32GB). Actually right
>> this second you can get a 16GB iPhone 3GS for $97 from Walmart.
>>
>> As you were saying?
>
> You forgot to add in the price of the two year AT&T contract to the price
> of the iPhone.

An HTC Hero without service. Handy!

KDT

May 28, 2010, 11:43:33 AM5/28/10

And the Android devices on AT&T and Verizon have the same two year
contract at the same price. Your point being?

Homer

May 28, 2010, 1:34:02 PM5/28/10
Verily I say unto thee, that KDT spake thusly:

> You mean like Google, IBM, Oracle (now that they own Sun) and every

> one else in the industry? Where can I find the source code to
> Google's PageRank algorithn? IBM's DB2 software, Oracle's database?

I don't see either Google, IBM, Oracle, nor many others besides Apple
and Microsoft /attacking/ Free Software so viciously, irrespective of
how lacking in altruism they might otherwise be. Your argument is non
sequitur. I am far less concerned with what's given than what's taken
(or threatened to be taken). Certainly /all/ those companies may have
the potential to cause damage to Free Software, and many do sometimes
flex their corporate muscles, but few seem to express the sheer level
of antipathy towards Free Software that Microsoft ( and more recently
and Apple ) do. They are by far the biggest and most immediate threat
to Free Software and indeed our digital freedom in general. Companies
which merely leech from Free Software do not pose much threat per se,
only a source of some irritation. Microsoft and Apple are rather more
than an irritation, they're corporate thugs on a destructive rampage.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| When all else fails, MOVE.L 4.W,A6 and JSR -726(A6)
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5

18:33:41 up 58 days, 4:24, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

Homer

May 28, 2010, 2:12:24 PM5/28/10
Verily I say unto thee, that Tattoo Vampire spake thusly:

> Snit wrote:
>
>> The
>
> Snit, if I send you a computer to work on, will you shut up for a day
> or two?

A day or two?

It'd take him at least a week just to figure out how to plug it in.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| When all else fails, MOVE.L 4.W,A6 and JSR -726(A6)
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5

19:10:42 up 58 days, 5:01, 2 users, load average: 0.27, 0.13, 0.04

KDT

May 28, 2010, 2:23:02 PM5/28/10
On May 28, 1:34 pm, Homer <use...@slated.org> wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee, that KDT spake thusly:
>
> > You mean like Google, IBM, Oracle (now that they own Sun) and every
> > one else in the industry?  Where can I find the source code to
> > Google's PageRank algorithn? IBM's DB2 software, Oracle's database?
>
> I don't see either Google, IBM, Oracle, nor many others besides Apple
> and Microsoft /attacking/ Free Software so viciously, irrespective of
> how lacking in altruism they might otherwise be. Your argument is non
> sequitur. I am far less concerned with what's given than what's taken
> (or threatened to be taken). Certainly /all/ those companies may have
> the potential to cause damage to Free Software, and many do sometimes
> flex their corporate muscles, but few seem to express the sheer level
> of antipathy towards Free Software that Microsoft ( and more recently
> and Apple ) do. They are by far the biggest and most immediate threat
> to Free Software and indeed our digital freedom in general. Companies
> which merely leech from Free Software do not pose much threat per se,
> only a source of some irritation. Microsoft and Apple are rather more
> than an irritation, they're corporate thugs on a destructive rampage.
>
> --
> K.http://slated.org

> .----
> | When all else fails, MOVE.L 4.W,A6 and JSR -726(A6)
> `----
>
> Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
>  18:33:41 up 58 days,  4:24,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

Let's start with IBM......
http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibms-attack-on-hercules-is-attack-on.html

Rick

May 28, 2010, 4:57:56 PM5/28/10

Is *the phone* the only thing they are getting?

--
Rick

Rick

May 28, 2010, 4:58:24 PM5/28/10

Rick

Rick

May 28, 2010, 4:59:35 PM5/28/10

Is *the phone* the only "thing" they are getting?

--
Rick

JEDIDIAH

May 28, 2010, 4:24:46 PM5/28/10
On 2010-05-28, KDT <scarf...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On May 28, 1:34 pm, Homer <use...@slated.org> wrote:
>> Verily I say unto thee, that KDT spake thusly:
>>
>> > You mean like Google, IBM, Oracle (now that they own Sun) and every
>> > one else in the industry?  Where can I find the source code to
>> > Google's PageRank algorithn? IBM's DB2 software, Oracle's database?
>>
>> I don't see either Google, IBM, Oracle, nor many others besides Apple
>> and Microsoft /attacking/ Free Software so viciously, irrespective of
>> how lacking in altruism they might otherwise be. Your argument is non
>> sequitur. I am far less concerned with what's given than what's taken
>> (or threatened to be taken). Certainly /all/ those companies may have
>> the potential to cause damage to Free Software, and many do sometimes
>> flex their corporate muscles, but few seem to express the sheer level
>> of antipathy towards Free Software that Microsoft ( and more recently
>> and Apple ) do. They are by far the biggest and most immediate threat
>> to Free Software and indeed our digital freedom in general. Companies
>> which merely leech from Free Software do not pose much threat per se,
>> only a source of some irritation. Microsoft and Apple are rather more
>> than an irritation, they're corporate thugs on a destructive rampage.

[deletia]

> Let's start with IBM......

To be clear here, this is an "attack" against a clone of their
proprietary platform.

> http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibms-attack-on-hercules-is-attack-on.html

This is compared to a general purpose computing platform that is
restrictive for both users and developers above and beyond how
Windows is or how the Playstation or Wii are.

Apple's latest platform has licensing that is specifically at odds
with Copyleft licensing.

There's...

1) Preventing the user from running whatever they want.
2) Preventing the user from copying stuff they've paid for
3) A distribution monopoly for software on the platform.
4) Licensing on the platform that enforces that monopoly.
5) Licesning on that platform incompatable with Copyleft.
6) Severe developer restrictions on language and API.

It's restrictive even when put next to WinDOS.

It's like "ultra-proprietary" or "anti-Free".

--

Unauthorized distribution of your work is going to happen. That |||
particular genie left the bottle a long time ago. You can either be / | \

Tim Murray

May 28, 2010, 6:20:57 PM5/28/10

Let me rephrase that: You have yet to make a point that's relevant to the
thread.

KDT

May 28, 2010, 6:30:20 PM5/28/10

So exactly what are you referring to, if not the price of the phone or
the contract?

ZnU

May 28, 2010, 9:50:13 PM5/28/10
In article <r3t4d7-...@sky.matrix>, Homer <use...@slated.org>
wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that KDT spake thusly:
>
> > </sarcasm>
> > You're right, I keep forgetting how Apple refuses to use any open
> > source code or contribute any of its code back to the open source
> > community.....
> > <sarcasm>
>
> Yes, they're also ambivalent hypocrites, with blatantly ulterior motives
> for "supporting" their own competition with one hand, whilst driving an
> iron fist into it with the other.
>
> That's not an embrace, it's a headlock.

They are, among other things, the lead developer of WebKit, which has
emerged as one of the most important bits of OSS software in the world,
serving as the basis for virtually every modern mobile web browser. They
were also for many years practically the only major corporate voice
pushing for an open standard for web video, as Real and Microsoft pushed
their proprietary nonsense.

I know you guys won't be happy until they GPL their operating system and
all of their applications, but it's silly to pretend Apple has never
done anything for the cause of open computing.

--
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it

Rick

May 28, 2010, 10:21:07 PM5/28/10
On Fri, 28 May 2010 21:50:13 -0400, ZnU wrote:

> In article <r3t4d7-...@sky.matrix>, Homer <use...@slated.org> wrote:
>
>> Verily I say unto thee, that KDT spake thusly:
>>
>> > </sarcasm>
>> > You're right, I keep forgetting how Apple refuses to use any open
>> > source code or contribute any of its code back to the open source
>> > community.....
>> > <sarcasm>
>>
>> Yes, they're also ambivalent hypocrites, with blatantly ulterior
>> motives for "supporting" their own competition with one hand, whilst
>> driving an iron fist into it with the other.
>>
>> That's not an embrace, it's a headlock.
>
> They are, among other things, the lead developer of WebKit, which has
> emerged as one of the most important bits of OSS software in the world,
> serving as the basis for virtually every modern mobile web browser. They
> were also for many years practically the only major corporate voice
> pushing for an open standard for web video, as Real and Microsoft pushed
> their proprietary nonsense.
>
> I know you guys won't be happy until they GPL their operating system and
> all of their applications, but it's silly to pretend Apple has never
> done anything for the cause of open computing.

Apple has done much for open computing. They contributed back a great
deal of code... at least for desktops and servers. However, they don't
seem to be as "community minded" in regards to their iPhone and iPad
platforms.

--
Rick

Rick

May 28, 2010, 10:35:31 PM5/28/10

Did you choose your cell provider based solely on the available phones?

--
Rick

Tattoo Vampire

May 28, 2010, 10:57:17 PM5/28/10
Snit wrote:

> At least he admits he cannot fix his computer on his own.

I said I would send you a computer to work on. I didn't say it was mine, and
I didn't say I couldn't fix it. But I'm sure you knew that all along, you
pathetic, trolling, snotfaced, ponytailed, walking fuckstick.

--
Regards,
[tv]
Owner/proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

...The flush toilet is the basis of western civilization.

Tattoo Vampire

May 28, 2010, 10:58:18 PM5/28/10
Homer wrote:

> It'd take him at least a week just to figure out how to plug it in.

Well, the whole concept of male and female connectors eludes him. :-)

--
Regards,
[tv]
Owner/proprietor, Trollus Amongus, LLC

...BUFFERS=20 FILES=15 2nd down, 4th quarter, 5 yards to go!

Gregory Shearman

May 28, 2010, 11:41:43 PM5/28/10
On 2010-05-29, Tattoo Vampire <sit...@this.computer> wrote:
> Snit wrote:
>
>> At least he admits he cannot fix his computer on his own.
>
> I said I would send you a computer to work on. I didn't say it was mine, and
> I didn't say I couldn't fix it. But I'm sure you knew that all along, you
> pathetic, trolling, snotfaced, ponytailed, walking fuckstick.

Don't hold anything back now, Tatts...

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

Snit

May 28, 2010, 11:44:37 PM5/28/10
Tattoo Vampire stated in post wi22plrv...@sitting.at.this.computer on
5/28/10 7:57 PM:

> Snit wrote:
>
>> At least he admits he cannot fix his computer on his own.
>
> I said I would send you a computer to work on.

Right.

And you were trolling. No doubt.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Snit

May 28, 2010, 11:45:06 PM5/28/10
Gregory Shearman stated in post slrni0137m.a8...@netscape.net on
5/28/10 8:41 PM:

> On 2010-05-29, Tattoo Vampire <sit...@this.computer> wrote:
>> Snit wrote:
>>
>>> At least he admits he cannot fix his computer on his own.
>>
>> I said I would send you a computer to work on. I didn't say it was mine, and
>> I didn't say I couldn't fix it. But I'm sure you knew that all along, you
>> pathetic, trolling, snotfaced, ponytailed, walking fuckstick.
>
> Don't hold anything back now, Tatts...

He is just mad his trolling backfired. Now he is all whiney. Poor little
Tattoo.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

It is loading more messages.