Re: New mama board. Linux shines. Windows dies, at least it was a quick death!

Message has been deleted

Freeride

Aug 11, 2005, 7:39:20 PM8/11/05
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:07:14 -0400, flatfish wrote:

> Windows XP with SP2...
> Total time = unknown.
> I still haven't been able to make it boot, even in safe mode. It loops
> at the login screen rebooting over and over again.

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=3518&gprid=185522

"2 support request(s) submitted online or by a phone call are included at
no charge. Unlimited installation support is available by phone at no
charge. (866) 234-6020"

"All additional support requests are $35.00 US per request or use an existing contract
(800) 936-5700
Advanced Issues $245.00 US"

This is assuming you actually bought the software from a store.

Message has been deleted

Rich Bell

Aug 11, 2005, 8:15:33 PM8/11/05
flatfish wrote:
> Swapped out an older P4 Soyo board which was a real POS for an Asus
> P4P800d on one of my dual boot systems.
>
> Suse 9.3 Linux?
> No troubles.
> Linux found the Giga ethernet port, set it up and found the sound
> chip and configured it, except for the volume which I fixed.
> Total time = 15 minutes, maybe.
> Ok so I'm impressed. Yea, this is pretty cool.

> Windows XP with SP2...
> Total time = unknown.
> I still haven't been able to make it boot, even in safe mode.
> It loops at the login screen rebooting over and over again.
>
> Any suggestions before I put this load out of it's misery will be
> appreciated, but it looks like a scratch reload to me.

A "repair install" will fix you right up. Been there. Done that.

Message has been deleted

Kelsey Bjarnason

Aug 11, 2005, 11:01:02 PM8/11/05
[snips]

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:07:14 -0400, flatfish wrote:

> Swapped out an older P4 Soyo board which was a real POS for an Asus
> P4P800d on one of my dual boot systems.
>
> Suse 9.3 Linux?
> No troubles.
> Linux found the Giga ethernet port, set it up and found the sound chip and
> configured it, except for the volume which I fixed.
> Total time = 15 minutes, maybe.
> Ok so I'm impressed. Yea, this is pretty cool.
>
> Windows XP with SP2...
> Total time = unknown.
> I still haven't been able to make it boot, even in safe mode.
> It loops at the login screen rebooting over and over again.

This machine:

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 6
model name : Celeron (Mendocino)
stepping : 5
cpu MHz : 434.365
Installed RAM : 96Mb

Win2K *crawls* on this thing. Meanwhile, I've got Ubuntu, using the
enlightenment desktop, running Pan and Sylpheed Claws at the moment, and
all is good. Hmm, just realized I'm also running mysqld. Should kill
that. Funny, though, how I can be running a DB server on such a low-end
box and not even be aware of it. :)

Linønut

Aug 11, 2005, 11:04:22 PM8/11/05
flatfish poked his little head through the XP firewall and said:

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 00:15:33 +0000, Rich Bell wrote:
>
>>> Windows XP with SP2...
>>> Total time = unknown.
>>> I still haven't been able to make it boot, even in safe mode.
>>> It loops at the login screen rebooting over and over again.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions before I put this load out of it's misery will be
>>> appreciated, but it looks like a scratch reload to me.
>>
>> A "repair install" will fix you right up. Been there. Done that.
>

> You got me just in time!
> Sure enough, I did a boot of the CD and chose the Repair option and it
> seems to be doing something useful.
> Thanks for the advice!
> I'll keep you posted and I have my fingers crossed!

It's good to see Rich contributing in a positive way for a change.

--
Linux - A most satisfying eXPerience

Message has been deleted

rapskat

Aug 12, 2005, 12:52:13 AM8/12/05

How much "help" do you think he would have offered if the situation was
reversed?

--
rapskat - 00:51:04 up 15 days, 10:06, 7 users, load average: 2.23, 2.43, 2.14
"Put down those Windows disks, Dave..."

Rick

Aug 12, 2005, 2:09:29 AM8/12/05
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:07:14 -0400, flatfish wrote:

> Swapped out an older P4 Soyo board which was a real POS for an Asus
> P4P800d on one of my dual boot systems.
>
> Suse 9.3 Linux?
> No troubles.
> Linux found the Giga ethernet port, set it up and found the sound chip and
> configured it, except for the volume which I fixed. Total time = 15
> minutes, maybe.
> Ok so I'm impressed. Yea, this is pretty cool.
>

> Windows XP with SP2...
> Total time = unknown.
> I still haven't been able to make it boot, even in safe mode. It loops at
> the login screen rebooting over and over again.
>
> Any suggestions before I put this load out of it's misery will be
> appreciated, but it looks like a scratch reload to me.

Yes ...

Self-qualify for a Darwin Award.

--
Rick

Jamie Hart

Aug 12, 2005, 3:52:07 AM8/12/05
flatfish <flat...@linuxmail.com> wrote in

> Sorry but I just don't believe you.
> Oh yea, Windows 2000 will be slow as a snail because it wants memory,
> at least 128m in my experience. Startup in particular will be
> painfully slow.
>
> But if you think Ubuntu is fast on that same machine you are not being
> honest.
> Sorry.

The magic words are "enlightenment desktop". Ubuntu, by default, uses the
Gnome desktop and does, as you say, suck without lots of memory.

Enlightenment is a much lighter weight desktop, so probably does make a
big difference. Of course it doesn't have all the bells and whistles
that gnome does.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

GreyCloud

Aug 12, 2005, 9:59:38 PM8/12/05

I've seen this problem on someones machine as well. But
where is the "Repair Install" option found for the XP Home
user? (It's been a couple of years).

GreyCloud

Aug 13, 2005, 3:40:11 PM8/13/05
flatfish wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:59:38 -0600, GreyCloud wrote:
>

> > I've seen this problem on someones machine as well. But
> > where is the "Repair Install" option found for the XP Home
> > user? (It's been a couple of years).
>
> It's not an easy find :(
> What you have to do is boot the xp cd and pretend you are doing a new
> install, let it find the partitions and then select it from there.
>
> FWIW Rich's instructions worked perfectly and I am back in action.

I'm not sure I exactly follow you, but if I see it again and
a neighbor begs for help, I'll pay closer attention to the
"Repair Install" option. Of course it makes you wonder what
got broken in the first place.

Kelsey

Aug 14, 2005, 2:00:43 AM8/14/05
[snips]

In article <9RUKe.29494$Kx6....@fe12.lga>, flat...@linuxmail.com
says...

> > Win2K *crawls* on this thing. Meanwhile, I've got Ubuntu, using the
> > enlightenment desktop, running Pan and Sylpheed Claws at the moment, and
> > all is good. Hmm, just realized I'm also running mysqld. Should kill
> > that. Funny, though, how I can be running a DB server on such a low-end
> > box and not even be aware of it. :)
>

> Sorry but I just don't believe you.
> Oh yea, Windows 2000 will be slow as a snail because it wants memory, at
> least 128m in my experience. Startup in particular will be painfully slow.
>
> But if you think Ubuntu is fast on that same machine you are not being
> honest.
> Sorry.

> I have a P4 2.6ghz and *I* find Ubuntu to be bloated on that machine. Suse
> 9.3 is much, much faster as is yoper and Mandriva. Just about as fast,

They may well be fast. On the other hand, when you say "Ubuntu", what -
exactly - do you mean? For example, Ubuntu's default is to use Gnome,
which is a serious heavyweight, whereas I am _not_ using Gnome. Nor
KDE. I'm flipping between icewm, windowmaker and enlightenment, all of
which are *way* lighter than either KDE or Gnome.

It's a Ubuntu distro, but that doesn't mean it's set up the default way
Ubuntu ships it... any more than a Windows desktop is typically left the
way MS ships it.

Kelsey

Aug 14, 2005, 2:00:44 AM8/14/05
[snips]

In article <sM1Le.8586$9v3....@fe09.lga>, flat...@linuxmail.com
says...

> Enlightenment?
> Last time I looked
> enlightenment was a gigantic resource sucker, albeit a
> very nice desktop.

That may depend on which bells and whistles you have included. For
obvious reasons, I don't have a lot installed; if I wanted them, I'd
just go KDE.

> Maybe you mean Windowmaker, ice or one of the blackbox variants?

They're all pretty lightweight, too.

> I'm sorry, but in my experience 96m on a Celeron will NOT run Ubuntu well
> at all and especially with what Kelsey claims to have running.

Runs it fine, thanks. Not, granted, an out-of-the-box setup, the DM is
way too heavy.

Message has been deleted

Kelsey

Aug 15, 2005, 5:00:08 AM8/15/05
[snips]

In article <VbJLe.4127$Gx1....@fe11.lga>, flat...@linuxmail.com
says...

> It doesn't matter what Window manager you are running, ok maybe Fvwm or
> TWM, but the applications you say you are running.

Pan and Sylpheed, both of which are relative lightweights, under a
lightweight wm? Why shouldn't it work just fine?

> I'm sorry I don't care what you have done to customize ubuntu, short of
> running a complete CLI system, on that particular piece of hardware there
> is no way that it is not crawling on that hardware.

Works pretty sweet, actually. It's not going to win any races against a
2800+ box, even running heavy processes, but it's more than usable.

Message has been deleted

Kelsey Bjarnason

Aug 15, 2005, 6:50:02 PM8/15/05
[snips]

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:48:39 -0400, flatfish wrote:

>> Pan and Sylpheed, both of which are relative lightweights, under a
>> lightweight wm? Why shouldn't it work just fine?
>

> You forgot one application Kelsey, what happened to mysqld?

Oh, yes, I forgot, you have no concept of how a sensible system works.
Allow me to educate you.

Whilst mysqld is nominally loaded and active, in fact it's not, really, as
it isn't a heavily-used process; in fact, it's only really used
occasionally on the system.

This means it can be effectively mapped out, for the most part, and given
all the priority it deserves, to wit, none.

This leaves it available for when it is needed, but without sucking up the
resources for the full-blown active server when it isn't actually being
active.

This is why you can basically forget about such things, unless you're
really actively using them - in which case, you'd probably not be doing it
on that box in any case.

Doesn't Windows have some way to shuffle low-use apps to virtual memory,
freeing up resources for active processes? If not, it should.

Message has been deleted

Tim Smith

Aug 18, 2005, 9:01:03 PM8/18/05
In article <xSQKe.3603$Gx1...@fe11.lga>,

flatfish <flat...@linuxmail.com> wrote:
> Swapped out an older P4 Soyo board which was a real POS for an Asus
> P4P800d on one of my dual boot systems.
>
> Suse 9.3 Linux?
> No troubles.
> Linux found the Giga ethernet port, set it up and found the sound chip and
> configured it, except for the volume which I fixed.
> Total time = 15 minutes, maybe.
> Ok so I'm impressed. Yea, this is pretty cool.

Yup. The only time I've not been able to do this with Linux was when I
went from an AMD system to a P4. My distro had installed a kernel
compiled specifically for AMD, so I had to go find the generic kernel.

> Windows XP with SP2...
> Total time = unknown.
> I still haven't been able to make it boot, even in safe mode.
> It loops at the login screen rebooting over and over again.
>
> Any suggestions before I put this load out of it's misery will be
> appreciated, but it looks like a scratch reload to me.

I think I've seen this work, with enough patience. Patience in this
case means letting it reboot over and over for about 8 hours. It will
probably be faster to just reinstall.

I don't recall if XP does this, but 9x/Me used to really annoy me in
these situations, because it would interrupt you with dialogs to tell
you things like "Found new hardware: IDE FIFO...installing drivers".

That's one of those "who the fuck cares?" dialogs. 99.9% of the people
seeing it will have no idea what it means, they have no choice to make
anyway, and gain no benefit whatsoever from having to waste a few
seconds looking to see if this is something they should be dealing with.
The other 0.01% who do know what it means don't give a damn.

When people said Windows was insecure, I didn't realize they meant that
it was needy and craved human contact! :-) If I wanted that, I'd get a
Tamagotchi.

--
--Tim Smith