Scanned issues of Byte finally available

rob zenilman

Mar 15, 2011, 9:37:35 AM3/15/11
FYI, PDFs of scanned issues of Byte Magazine are now available at

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/167235-byte-magazine/

Brings back lots of memories

monahanz

Mar 17, 2011, 1:32:16 PM3/17/11

Fantastic work Rob. Please continue to show the covers as I have many
issues and can tell the ones I am missing by never seeing that cover.
Really would like to see early issues first
John

Enrico lazzerini

Mar 17, 2011, 2:40:00 PM3/17/11
I think you could take a look here:
http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/MAGAZINE/BYTE/index.html
Maybe adding your great job.

I collected some issues of microcornucopia magazine i left for free here:
http://enricolazzerini.interfree.it/

Regards
Enrico - Pisa - ITALY

monahanz

Mar 18, 2011, 7:27:37 PM3/18/11
On Mar 17, 11:40 am, Enrico lazzerini <enrico.lazzer...@tiscali.it>
wrote:

The maben web site has become very slow lately does anybody know if
there is an alternative mirror site.

Enrico lazzerini

Mar 19, 2011, 9:23:06 AM3/19/11
Il Fri, 18 Mar 2011 16:27:37 -0700 (PDT), monahanz ha scritto:

> an alternative mirror site.

i not have a mine ftp space big enough to contain all issues available on
maben web site that i slowly i downloaded during past time. If anybody has
an idea i'm ready to upload the following issues (about 30Gbytes):

198001 Byte Magazine January 1980 315.pdf
198002 Byte Magazine Februay 1980 233.pdf
198003 Byte Magazine March 1980 262.pdf
198004 Byte Magazine April 1980 289.pdf
198005 Byte Magazine May 1980 333.pdf
198006 Byte Magazine June 1980 261.pdf
198007 Byte Magazine July 1980 288.pdf
198008 Byte Magazine August 1980 285.pdf
198009 Byte Magazine Septembe 1980 363.pdf
198010 Byte Magazine October 1980.pdf
198011 Byte Magazine November1980 455.pdf
198012 Byte Magazine December 1980 390-391.pdf

198101 Byte Magazine January 1981 365.pdf
198102 Byte Magazine February 1981.pdf
198103 Byte Magazine March 1981.pdf
198104 Byte Magazine April 1981.pdf
198105 Byte Magazine May 1981.pdf
198106 Byte Magazine June 1981.pdf
198107 Byte Magazine July 1981.pdf
198108 Byte Magazine August 1981.pdf
198109 Byte Magazine September 1981.pdf
198110 Byte Magazine October 1981.pdf
198111 Byte Magazine November 1981.pdf
198112 Byte Magazine December 1981.pdf

198201 Byte Magazine January 1982.pdf
198202 Byte Magazine February 1982.pdf
198203 Byte Magazine March 1982.pdf
198204 Byte Magazine April 1982.pdf
198205 Byte Magazine May 1982.pdf
198206 Byte Magazine June 1982.pdf
198207 Byte Magazine July 1982.pdf
198208 Byte Magazine August 1982.pdf
198209 Byte Magazine September 1982.pdf
198210 Byte Magazine October 1982.pdf
198211 Byte Magazine November 1982.pdf
198212 Byte Magazine December 1982.pdf

198301 Byte Magazine January 1983.pdf
198302 Byte Magazine February 1983.pdf
198303 Byte Magazine March 1983.pdf
198304 Byte Magazine April 1983.pdf
198305 Byte Magazine May 1983.pdf
198306 Byte Magazine June 1983.pdf
198307 Byte Magazine July 1983.pdf
198308 Byte Magazine August 1983.pdf
198309 Byte Magazine September 1983.pdf
198310 Byte Magazine October 1983.pdf

198311 Byte Magazine November 1983.pdf
198312 Byte Magazine December 1983.pdf

198402 Byte Magazine February 1984.pdf
198403 Byte Magazine March 1984.pdf
198404 Byte Magazine April 1984.pdf
198405 Byte Magazine May 1984.pdf
198406 Byte Magazine June 1984.pdf
198407 Byte Magazine July 1984.pdf
198408 Byte Magazine August 1984.pdf
198409 Byte Magazine September 1984.pdf
198410 Byte Magazine October 1984.pdf
198411 Byte Magazine November1984.pdf
198412 Byte Magazine December 1984.pdf

198408 MicroSystems August 1984.pdf
198409 MicroSystems September 1984.pdf
198410 MicroSystems October 1984.pdf
198411 MicroSystems November 1984.pdf
198505 MicroSystems May 1985.pdf

Enrico

MikeS

Mar 19, 2011, 12:32:23 PM3/19/11

I've passed this on to Marcus in case there's a problem of which he's
unaware.

As a matter of fact he and I just discussed having a mirror or two of
his site somewhere and he's certainly willing to help set it up; just
a question of finding an appropriate and reliable host.

monahanz

Mar 19, 2011, 1:03:48 PM3/19/11

I hope we can somehow do that. Marcus has a fantastic site (probably
the most extensive in the whole world right now) for S-100/CPM etc
information. It must represent an enormous amount of work -- thanks
Marcus
John

Bill Gunshannon

Mar 19, 2011, 6:11:08 PM3/19/11
In article <cd3aabc9-6409-4fb4...@k15g2000prk.googlegroups.com>,

I would love to do it but I expect the lawyers here might have a problem
or two. Is there some written document from BYTE giving permission to
make this available?

bill

bill...@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>

Enrico lazzerini

Mar 19, 2011, 6:58:04 PM3/19/11
> I would love to do it but I expect the lawyers here might have a problem
> or two. Is there some written document from BYTE giving permission to
> make this available?
>
> bill

May i say my point of view? There is not any wish to make business with
this. My think is that would be just a way (not the only way) to save for
the history of those so far and precious mags. So while it would so hard to
find the right interface with which to get permission, it is so easy save
copies and not for this make business. So if anyone make business with it i
thinks this is a right thing.

For example Who would to think how to find the Microcornucopia Editor David
J. Thompson or the Bigboard project engineer Jim. B. Ferguson? This would
be just like an needle in a haystack. The most important things is to not
to make busines or money with them.

Regards
Enrico

Bill Gunshannon

Mar 19, 2011, 8:17:42 PM3/19/11
In article <3cehydvmkdpx.1...@40tude.net>,

Enrico lazzerini <enrico.l...@tiscali.it> writes:
>> I would love to do it but I expect the lawyers here might have a problem
>> or two. Is there some written document from BYTE giving permission to
>> make this available?
>
> May i say my point of view? There is not any wish to make business with
> this. My think is that would be just a way (not the only way) to save for
> the history of those so far and precious mags. So while it would so hard to
> find the right interface with which to get permission, it is so easy save
> copies and not for this make business. So if anyone make business with it i
> thinks this is a right thing.
>
> For example Who would to think how to find the Microcornucopia Editor David
> J. Thompson or the Bigboard project engineer Jim. B. Ferguson? This would
> be just like an needle in a haystack. The most important things is to not
> to make busines or money with them.

It doesn't matter if it is a business or not. The magazines are
Copyrighted. Which is why I aid the University's lawyers were likely
to have a problem with it. I have had to take down numerous student
websites because they contained copyrighted material and currently
Universities are a prime target of lawsuits for these violations.

glen herrmannsfeldt

Mar 19, 2011, 9:52:53 PM3/19/11
Bill Gunshannon <bill...@cs.uofs.edu> wrote:
(snip on scanned BYTE magazines)

> I would love to do it but I expect the lawyers here might have a problem
> or two. Is there some written document from BYTE giving permission to
> make this available?

At some point, not so long before the magazine closed down,
they were selling CDs. I almost bought one, and then after they
closed down didn't see where to buy anymore. Probably not full
scanned images, though.

-- glen

Bill Gunshannon

Mar 19, 2011, 10:20:15 PM3/19/11
In article <im3mll$mr3$2...@news.eternal-september.org>,

Closing down does not release copyright. Someone stil owns all their
IP.

glen herrmannsfeldt

Mar 19, 2011, 10:33:06 PM3/19/11
Bill Gunshannon <bill...@cs.uofs.edu> wrote:

(snip, I wrote)

>> At some point, not so long before the magazine closed down,
>> they were selling CDs. I almost bought one, and then after they
>> closed down didn't see where to buy anymore. Probably not full
>> scanned images, though.

> Closing down does not release copyright. Someone stil owns all their
> IP.

Yes. I didn't say otherwise. Now, how to find the CD that
already has all the Byte articles. Then no need to scan.

-- glen

dott.Piergiorgio

Mar 20, 2011, 1:00:10 AM3/20/11
Il 19/03/2011 23:58, Enrico lazzerini ha scritto:

> May i say my point of view? There is not any wish to make business with
> this. My think is that would be just a way (not the only way) to save for
> the history of those so far and precious mags. So while it would so hard to
> find the right interface with which to get permission, it is so easy save
> copies and not for this make business. So if anyone make business with it i
> thinks this is a right thing.
>
> For example Who would to think how to find the Microcornucopia Editor David
> J. Thompson or the Bigboard project engineer Jim. B. Ferguson? This would
> be just like an needle in a haystack. The most important things is to not
> to make busines or money with them.

In some cases, on who owns what, USPTO is still valid, but in many cases
(like very early hardware manufacturer, whose sadly is more the case in
the CP/M context...) the things can be hard to pinpoint, and mags like
byte, can be of help, giving in many cases a good starting point, where
was the company and what was the address to send inquiries, easing the
process, knowing what chamber of commerce and court/bureaucratic
archives are involved works wonders. (I'm an historian....)

the basic process can be: magazine ads --> office address back then -->
country/town archives --> follow the trail up to the rights owner.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

dott.Piergiorgio

Mar 20, 2011, 1:02:37 AM3/20/11
Il 20/03/2011 01:17, Bill Gunshannon ha scritto:

> It doesn't matter if it is a business or not. The magazines are
> Copyrighted. Which is why I aid the University's lawyers were likely
> to have a problem with it. I have had to take down numerous student
> websites because they contained copyrighted material and currently
> Universities are a prime target of lawsuits for these violations.

Sometimes I think that lawyers ought to be exterminated (and I'm of
Hebrew heritage, and I don't use lightly this word...)

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.

Torfinn Ingolfsen

Mar 20, 2011, 5:58:53 AM3/20/11
On 03/20/2011 03:20 AM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> In article<im3mll$mr3$2...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> glen herrmannsfeldt<g...@ugcs.caltech.edu> writes:
>> Bill Gunshannon<bill...@cs.uofs.edu> wrote:
>> (snip on scanned BYTE magazines)
>>
>>> I would love to do it but I expect the lawyers here might have a problem
>>> or two. Is there some written document from BYTE giving permission to
>>> make this available?
>>
>> At some point, not so long before the magazine closed down,
>> they were selling CDs. I almost bought one, and then after they
>> closed down didn't see where to buy anymore. Probably not full
>> scanned images, though.
>
> Closing down does not release copyright. Someone stil owns all their
> IP.

And that someone might be United Business Media, see reference here:
http://www.halfhill.com/bytelink.html

In case anyone is interested in talking to them.
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway

marcusb

Mar 20, 2011, 11:31:19 AM3/20/11
Dear All,

Yes, whilst in retirement I did have some time, well over 1000 hours
in fact, to buy the issues of BYTE that I carelessly discarded on one
of my house/continent moves. Then laboriously Image scan, reassemble,
and PDF to text convert using Adobe Acrobat. I'd be happier if
people can "take what they need" from our site, rather than trying en-
masse to download everything.

With most of this printed matter being about 30 years old now, I think
we should all take a mature attitude to preserving it for future
access, this is the object of the site which is originally focused on
Cromemco Computer documents. That lives here
http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/cromemco/index.html of course.

Since I run all sort of scripts (e.g. Python) and JavaScript and other
stuff on our site, I'd need a Virtual host that would allow be
control of that sort of aspect, if you want me to move files to a
faster hosted site. Still I am of course open to suggestions. Pls
feel free to email me back. Also due to having been un-retired, the
solution would need to be as simple as possible, since my current
employer would like me to work for them round-the-clock if possible.

Regards marcus bennett.

Axel Berger

Mar 20, 2011, 3:27:00 AM3/20/11
*dott.Piergiorgio* wrote on Sun, 11-03-20 06:02:

>Sometimes I think that lawyers ought to be exterminated

And you're not even in Germany, where lawyers, courts and parliament
have installed a scam, that is, as far as I know, unique in the world,
where lawyers on there own, not the owners of rights, seek out small
time, unknowing transgressors and extort large amounts of fees from
them. Not fines or compensation, which might be testable in court, but
just very high fees for their own letters asking them to remove that
material while bolstering their blackmail with threats.

The Mishnah forbids any Jew to live in a town without court and police
force but expressly forbids anyone to act as lawyer.

Enrico lazzerini

Mar 20, 2011, 1:40:20 PM3/20/11
I wish to thank for the great job you made to preserving it for future
access. I'm doing the same thing with Microcornucopia Magazine, or almost
beginning from the first 20 issues that were dedicated to the Ferguson
Bigboards (I and II). I needed to collocate the adv of the cards in those
far years so for this reason i downloaded all issues to check into them
page by page.
Anyway when i said to not make this for business or money i wanted to to
say exactly what you said: "I think we should all take a mature attitude
to preserving it for future access" and nothing of different.
This has more value when magazine or other document are no more available
to buy. If this hurts someones it not was in my thoughts.

Enrico

Peter Hill

Mar 21, 2011, 4:21:52 AM3/21/11
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 08:31:19 -0700 (PDT), marcusb <amo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>Yes, whilst in retirement I did have some time, well over 1000 hours
>in fact, to buy the issues of BYTE that I carelessly discarded on one
>of my house/continent moves. Then laboriously Image scan, reassemble,
>and PDF to text convert using Adobe Acrobat.

What resolution did you scan at? The files seem quite large ~65Mb.
Complete 600 page engineering text books are around that size.
Archival does need good resolution so scan only needs to be done once
but internet copies only need to be readable. As you have converted
them to text, 100dpi should be fine.

> I'd be happier if
>people can "take what they need" from our site, rather than trying en-
>masse to download everything.

The indexes are all 0 bytes. Without an index the only way to find
what I need is to download everything.

--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header

glen herrmannsfeldt

Mar 21, 2011, 5:25:57 AM3/21/11
Peter Hill <peter....@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
(snip)

> What resolution did you scan at? The files seem quite large ~65Mb.
> Complete 600 page engineering text books are around that size.
> Archival does need good resolution so scan only needs to be done once
> but internet copies only need to be readable. As you have converted
> them to text, 100dpi should be fine.

I recommend JBIG2 compression. It is an option in PDF since
about version 1.4. It is very good for black and white text,
about three times better than LZW or G4.

100dpi is probably too small for Byte text. Bitsavers like 400dpi.

-- glen

dott.Piergiorgio

Mar 21, 2011, 8:52:37 AM3/21/11
Il 20/03/2011 08:27, Axel Berger ha scritto:
> *dott.Piergiorgio* wrote on Sun, 11-03-20 06:02:
>> Sometimes I think that lawyers ought to be exterminated
>
> And you're not even in Germany, where lawyers, courts and parliament
> have installed a scam, that is, as far as I know, unique in the world,
> where lawyers on there own, not the owners of rights, seek out small
> time, unknowing transgressors and extort large amounts of fees from
> them. Not fines or compensation, which might be testable in court, but
> just very high fees for their own letters asking them to remove that
> material while bolstering their blackmail with threats.

untils someone is fool or greed enough to piss off autonomen, causing a
major ruckus...

Here, in Italy, lore says that once a clueless SIAE (italian equivalent
of RIAA/MPAA) representative dare to show a live concert of an "centro
sociale" asking if they have payed the dues and rights. As far as I
known, someone have haved the pity of suggesting that he was victim of
some sort of not-so-much-brisk joke by office co-workers, and the fool
was quick and smart enough to get the hint, acting accordingly, and in
the end he escapes only with few bruisures, dents on his car, and the
"esproprio proletario" of his wallet and gold cufflinks.... no legal
action taken after, of course ;)

> The Mishnah forbids any Jew to live in a town without court and police
> force but expressly forbids anyone to act as lawyer.

both are wise, indeed. esp. the first.

Best regards from Italy.

dott.Piergiorgio

Mar 21, 2011, 8:55:16 AM3/21/11
Il 20/03/2011 16:31, marcusb ha scritto:

> Since I run all sort of scripts (e.g. Python) and JavaScript and other
> stuff on our site, I'd need a Virtual host that would allow be
> control of that sort of aspect, if you want me to move files to a
> faster hosted site.

knowing the "fastness" of the current site, and the frequent failures of
DL's, I guess that a faster host is really needed, so I fully endorse
this request for help....

rob zenilman

Mar 23, 2011, 2:31:14 PM3/23/11

I wish I could take credit for it, but I only found the link and
reported it.

rob zenilman

Mar 23, 2011, 2:32:35 PM3/23/11
On Mar 19, 3:23 pm, Enrico lazzerini <enrico.lazzer...@tiscali.it>
wrote:

The AtariAge site that I found mirrored the PDFs to rapidshare, which
has a 50GB limit. Fast too!

Rob

psf...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2013, 2:03:56 PM4/13/13
For the record, I found a very complete archive of scanned byte magazines at

http://archive.org/details/byte-magazine

Greg

Jan 22, 2014, 8:23:56 PM1/22/14
On Saturday, April 13, 2013 11:03:56 AM UTC-7, psf...@gmail.com wrote:
> For the record, I found a very complete archive of scanned byte magazines at
>

> http://archive.org/details/byte-magazine

Thanks…this is much faster than the above PDF links.