Looking for a real Fortran-66 compatible PC compiler (CP/M or DOS or also Windows, doesn't matter)

Peter Dassow

Dec 26, 2010, 6:05:49 AM12/26/10

I have to compile some very old Fortran-66 programs, but I do not have
an IBM host or a TOPS-10/VMS machine.
So I am looking for a real compatible compiler for these old sources,
Fortran-80 (CP/M) is one of the candidates, but there are problems with
the data types. Are there any other PC compatible Fortran-66 compilers
out there ?

Regards
Peter

Tarkin

Dec 26, 2010, 11:54:49 AM12/26/10

Intel has one, as part of some sort of Fortran Developer Suite or
somesuch. Requires registration, may only be for linux, as well.

A discussion here:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?11322-Nevada-FORTRAN

...leads me to believe that a product known as "Nevada Fortran" is for
CP/M-80 and (only!) works with Fotran 66; it is available here:
http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/lang/nevfort.zip

HTH,
Tarkin

Peter Dassow

Dec 26, 2010, 2:02:55 PM12/26/10
On 26.12.2010 17:54, Tarkin wrote:
>> I have to compile some very old Fortran-66 programs, but I do not have
>> an IBM host or a TOPS-10/VMS machine.
>> So I am looking for a real compatible compiler for these old sources,
>> Fortran-80 (CP/M) is one of the candidates, but there are problems with
>> the data types. Are there any other PC compatible Fortran-66 compilers
>> out there ?
>
> Intel has one, as part of some sort of Fortran Developer Suite or
> somesuch. Requires registration, may only be for linux, as well.

No, it should not a modern compiler. That new Intel Fortran compiler is
definitely not F66 compatible.

> A discussion here:
> http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?11322-Nevada-FORTRAN
>
> ...leads me to believe that a product known as "Nevada Fortran" is for
> CP/M-80 and (only!) works with Fotran 66; it is available here:
> http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/lang/nevfort.zip

Unfortunately Nevada Fortran (3.0) produces only .obj (Object) code.
I have to use always FRUN as a runtime to start such generated programs.
And there's no LINKer included, and for sure that object code from
Nevada will be linkable with a Microsoft L80 (and with what library
btw...) .

Regards
Peter

Tarkin

Dec 26, 2010, 5:02:12 PM12/26/10
On Dec 26, 2:02 pm, Peter Dassow <z8...@arcor.de> wrote:
> On 26.12.2010 17:54, Tarkin wrote:
>
> >> I have to compile some very old Fortran-66 programs, but I do not have
> >> an IBM host or a TOPS-10/VMS machine.
> >> So I am looking for a real compatible compiler for these old sources,
> >> Fortran-80 (CP/M) is one of the candidates, but there are problems with
> >> the data types. Are there any other PC compatible Fortran-66 compilers
> >> out there ?
>
> > Intel has one, as part of some sort of Fortran Developer Suite or
> > somesuch. Requires registration, may only be for linux, as well.
>
> No, it should not a modern compiler. That new Intel Fortran compiler is
> definitely not F66 compatible.
>
> > A discussion here:
> >http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?11322-Nevada-F...

> > ...leads me to believe that a product known as "Nevada Fortran" is for
> > CP/M-80 and (only!) works with Fotran 66; it is available here:
> >http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/lang/nevfort.zip
>
> Unfortunately Nevada Fortran (3.0) produces only .obj (Object) code.
> I have to use always FRUN as a runtime to start such generated programs.
> And there's no LINKer included, and for sure that object code from
> Nevada will be linkable with a Microsoft L80 (and with what library
> btw...) .
>
> Regards
>   Peter

Intel claims differently:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-fortran-compiler-support-for-fortran-language-standards/?wapkw=%28Fortran%29

"Intel Fortran also fully supports programs that conform to the
earlier
standards Fortran 90, FORTRAN 77 and FORTRAN IV (FORTRAN 66.)
In some cases, compiler options may need to be specified to enable
support of behavior that was different in earlier versions of the
Fortran standard."

Another discussion here
http://www.rhinocerus.net/forum/lang-fortran/92456-i-searches-fortran-66-fortran-iv-dos-ibm-pc.html

...basically says the same thing about OpenWatcom, although a quick
perusal of a couple of pdfs did not leave me with that impression.

That discussion also hints at Hercules/370 emulators, and of course
for
TOPS-10/20 and VMS there are the SIMH family of simulators...

HTH,
Tarkin

dott.Piergiorgio

Dec 26, 2010, 7:31:56 PM12/26/10
[snip of previous discussions]

Out of curiosity, what is the deprecated feature of Fortran IV whose you
don't find in Fortran 77 and later compiler ?

If you enlighten us, perhaps we can point to a good solution, perhaps in
some arcane combination of switches or options.

Fortran and C are the most "legacy code-friendly" languages, IMVHO if
you really don't want to patch the sources, a mean of compiling can be
find...

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

glen herrmannsfeldt

Dec 26, 2010, 9:35:23 PM12/26/10
dott.Piergiorgio <dott.Pierg...@kaigun.fastwebnet.it> wrote:
> [snip of previous discussions]

> Out of curiosity, what is the deprecated feature of Fortran IV whose you
> don't find in Fortran 77 and later compiler ?

There are many Fortran IV features that didn't make it into Fortran 66.
Many of those did make it into Fortran 77, though.

> If you enlighten us, perhaps we can point to a good solution, perhaps in
> some arcane combination of switches or options.

-- glen

Kenneth Scharf

Dec 27, 2010, 8:08:41 PM12/27/10
GNU Fortran will support F-66 extensions, use the -ff66 command line option.

dott.Piergiorgio

Dec 28, 2010, 7:42:33 PM12/28/10
Il 27/12/2010 03:35, glen herrmannsfeldt ha scritto:
> dott.Piergiorgio<dott.Pierg...@kaigun.fastwebnet.it> wrote:
>> [snip of previous discussions]
>
>> Out of curiosity, what is the deprecated feature of Fortran IV whose you
>> don't find in Fortran 77 and later compiler ?
>
> There are many Fortran IV features that didn't make it into Fortran 66.
> Many of those did make it into Fortran 77, though.

mh... aside the calculated goto, and the machine-specific sense switch
command in the passage between Fortran I and Fortran II, what are these ?

glen herrmannsfeldt

Dec 30, 2010, 2:18:27 AM12/30/10
dott.Piergiorgio <dott.Pierg...@kaigun.fastwebnet.it> wrote:
(snip, someone wrote)

>>> Out of curiosity, what is the deprecated feature of Fortran IV whose you
>>> don't find in Fortran 77 and later compiler ?

>> There are many Fortran IV features that didn't make it into Fortran 66.
>> Many of those did make it into Fortran 77, though.

> mh... aside the calculated goto, and the machine-specific sense switch
> command in the passage between Fortran I and Fortran II, what are these ?

Apostrophes for character constants, IMPLICIT, END= and ERR= on READ,
T format descriptor, rank 7 arrays, are the ones I see in the OS/360
Fortran IV manual that I believe are in Fortran 77.

I believe that the Fortran II I/O statements, direct access I/O,
and alternate returns from subroutines are also in Fortran 77,
though I am not so sure.

-- glen

Tarkin

Jan 14, 2011, 12:57:06 PM1/14/11

Did you ever come up with a solution?

TTFN,
Tarkin

Peter Dassow

Jan 15, 2011, 3:43:01 AM1/15/11
On 14.01.2011 18:57, Tarkin wrote:
>> [...] Are there any other PC compatible Fortran-66 compilers
>> out there ?
>

> Did you ever come up with a solution?

Yes. I am using for some sources g77 (gnu fortran) with option f66, for
others Silverfrost's old Fortran 77 compiler.
See http://www.z80.eu/for-compiler.html for more links.

Regards
Peter

sk...@st.medipol.edu.tr

Nov 9, 2015, 12:11:51 PM11/9/15
15 Ocak 2011 Cumartesi 10:43:01 UTC+2 tarihinde Peter Dassow yazdı:
hi peter
i wonder if you are still working on fortran IV or fortran 66 compilers. I need some help regarding the compilation syntax.
I would be grateful for your help.
Thanks.
Sana