Patrick Logon the troll.

Thaddeus L Olczyk

Jan 14, 2001, 5:39:18 PM1/14/01
In the last few I've seen PL start at least ten threads as responses
to other threads. These responses are not posts where the subject is
changed significantly enough to justifiy a new thread, they are just
posted for the sake of being contentious.
Stop it. It makes you look bad.

Phlip

Jan 14, 2001, 5:45:08 PM1/14/01

Yeah, how dare he name the thread after its contents!!!

--
 Phlip

Patrick Logan

Jan 15, 2001, 12:25:11 AM1/15/01
"Thaddeus L Olczyk" <olc...@interaccess.com> wrote in message

What makes me a troll? What makes me inappropriately contentious?
I am trying to respectfully disagree with the positions of the people
I am responding to.

Am I not sticking to the issues? It seems the only thing you are
objecting to is that I am using a new subject name. I prefer
this because I typically read only 10% of the long, on-going
threads. These threads keep the same subject from start to
finish. I cannot distinguish much about the "nuances" in each
sub-thread. So to distinguish the ones I am participating in
actively, I rename them.

I am not sure why this bothers you, or why it makes me look
bad. If more people want me to stop that practice, I'll concider
it. Until then I'll assume that most people don't care and that the
benefit to me is more than the cost to just you. Feel free to
respond politely describing the cost to you, and I'll even consider
changing this practice just for you.

--
Patrick Logan
mailto:patric...@home.com

Daniel T.

Jan 15, 2001, 12:08:40 PM1/15/01
In article <XQv86.264702$U46.8...@news1.sttls1.wa.home.com>,
"Patrick Logan" <patric...@home.com> wrote:

> It seems the only thing you [Thaddeus L Olczyk] are

> objecting to is that I am using a new subject name.
>

> I am not sure why this bothers you, or why it makes me look
> bad. If more people want me to stop that practice, I'll concider
> it. Until then I'll assume that most people don't care and that the
> benefit to me is more than the cost to just you. Feel free to
> respond politely describing the cost to you, and I'll even consider
> changing this practice just for you.

I would like it if you kept the old name of the thread (in parans with a
was at the beginning for example) so that my client's filter can tract
that you responded to me. Otherwise, I don't mind.

Lex Spoon

Jan 15, 2001, 6:18:56 PM1/15/01
Phlip <phli...@my-deja.com> writes:

> Thaddeus L Olczyk's evil twin wrote:
>
> > In the last few I've seen PL start at least ten threads as responses
> > to other threads. These responses are not posts where the subject is
> > changed significantly enough to justifiy a new thread, they are just
> > posted for the sake of being contentious.
> > Stop it. It makes you look bad.
>
> Yeah, how dare he name the thread after its contents!!!

Agreed--it's much much better style if posts are named after their
contents. The only small, teency weency problem, is that a lot of
newsreaders can't handle this. On my newsreader, Patrick's posts show
up in the thread they are a part of, but.

While I'm usually in favor of staying compatible, in this case the new
protocol is *vastly* better than the old one. It's not like HTML
posts, where a simple format (80-column fixed-width text) is replaced
by a braindead, cutesy one. Thread-tracking by message id's instead
of subjects means that people can skim threads without reading all the
messages. To get an idea, try reading Slashdot's forums, for example.

In this case, let's all just get better newsreaders. Here's to a
better USENET!

-Lex

Phlip

Jan 15, 2001, 10:02:53 PM1/15/01
Lex Spoon wrote:

> In this case, let's all just get better newsreaders. Here's to a
> better USENET!

Uh, instead of removing the perfectly good Usenet feature that links posts
by a hidden header tag instead of the Subject line, you could instead ask
that we add a feature to our newsreader called "Post as New Thread". We
could add the ability to erase that hidden header tag in an outgoing post
entirely as a user-agent ability. No RFC required.

This would solve the terrible problem with some newsreaders, such as
www.deja.com, that >can't< display posts except in thread mode.
Philosophical groups (you know who you are) often generate 500 post
threads, and the tips are real hard to find in those newsreaders.

--
Phlip
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PhlIp

top...@technologist.com

Jan 15, 2001, 10:32:46 PM1/15/01
In article <3a6226ed...@nntp.interaccess.com>,

Who the hell made *you* God of Topics?

What is your metric for "changed significantly" anyhow?

-tmind-
oop.ismad.com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Patrick Logan

Jan 16, 2001, 2:45:51 AM1/16/01

"Daniel T." <notda...@gte.net> wrote in message

> I would like it if you kept the old name of the thread (in parans with a
> was at the beginning for example) so that my client's filter can tract
> that you responded to me. Otherwise, I don't mind.

Fair enough. I'll do that. (Er, I've done that.)

sk...@my-deja.com

Jan 16, 2001, 4:50:55 AM1/16/01

>In the last few I've seen PL start at least ten threads as responses
>to other threads.

You've only just noticed this !!?? :-O
I spotted this months ago in exchanges with the man :-)

To verify this, use Deja etc to search on my surname and phrases like
"branch" , #BP etc. I started to insert these for fun to see if I
could predict where from my postings he would spawn off a new thread.
:-)

I cannot comment on the "troll" bit as I am not even sure what the
"canonical" Usenet definition of a troll actually is.

>These responses are not posts where the subject is changed
>significantly enough to justifiy a new thread, they are just
>posted for the sake of being contentious.

>Stop it. It makes you look bad.

One should be flattered IMHO.

Where this has happened on my postings, normally he was trying to
narrow/change the context on a debate with me that IMHO he wasn't
having too much success in winning. :-)

But compared to the "giants" like CJ-III, Ell in his "Reagan-esque"
period etc, Patrick Logan is hardly public enemy #1 is he.

Live and let live ...

Regards,
Steven Perryman

A Patrick Logan advocate - if only to give me something to do now I'm
semi-retired at the decrepit age of 33. ;-)

Patrick Logan

Jan 16, 2001, 11:06:25 PM1/16/01

<sk...@my-deja.com> wrote
in message news:9415ht$93h$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> Where this has happened on my postings, normally he was trying to
> narrow/change the context on a debate with me that IMHO he wasn't
> having too much success in winning. :-)

Rats.

> But compared to the "giants" like CJ-III, Ell in his "Reagan-esque"
> period etc, Patrick Logan is hardly public enemy #1 is he.

Phew.

> Live and let live ...

Um. Thanks.

> A Patrick Logan advocate - if only to give me something to do now I'm
> semi-retired at the decrepit age of 33. ;-)

Bring it on.

michael

Jan 17, 2001, 4:11:35 AM1/17/01
> I would like it if you kept the old name of the thread (in parans with a
> was at the beginning for example) so that my client's filter can tract
> that you responded to me. Otherwise, I don't mind.

does it matter if the redundant "Re:" is dropped?

Daniel T.

Jan 17, 2001, 1:58:11 PM1/17/01
In article <gNe96.4240$kb5....@ozemail.com.au>, "michael"
<ser...@ozemail.com.au> wrote: