Problem with using Pine with gmail.

Samuel W. Heywood

Aug 4, 2005, 2:20:19 AM8/4/05
Hello:

I recently added an incoming folder for Pine so that I could
open and read messages sent to me at my gmail account.

After I open and read a message on the gmail pop server the message
is apparently auto-expunged after I leave the gmail inbox. I cannot
read the same message again when I return later to the gmail inbox.

This behavior is quite different from the way Pine behaves when
I open and read messages on other pop servers. After I open and
read a message on other pop servers the message remains on the
server unless I mark it for deletion and then expunge it.

Is there something I can do with my Pine setup to prevent the
auto-expunging of messages I open on the gmail pop server?

Sam Heywood
-- Message handled by Pine, Version 4.62

NM Public

Aug 4, 2005, 3:19:12 AM8/4/05

I have written extensively about this on my Power Pine page in
this section:

POPping Gmail is Different
<http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#gmail>

Especially note the part that begins with this:

"The following are five ways in which Gmail is different from
other POP service providers."

As I say in that section, after *lots* of experience I decided to
use a Pine #move folder for my Gmail account. My guess is that
that will be the best solution for you too.

Hope this helps,
Nancy

--
Nancy McGough ~ <http://www.ii.com> ~ <http://deflexion.com>
IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more
> > > Please keep the discussion in the group < < <

Vwakes

Aug 4, 2005, 11:25:51 AM8/4/05
On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 NM Public wrote:

> "The following are five ways in which Gmail is different from other
> POP service providers."

Now, I understand why my mails are marked New and get downloaded in my
Thunderbird client, even though I have read them (and so marked read) at
gmail.com. Cool stuff. Thanks.

V.

Samuel W. Heywood

Aug 21, 2005, 6:22:19 AM8/21/05
On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, NM Public wrote:

> On 4 Aug 2005, Samuel W. Heywood wrote:
>>
>> I recently added an incoming folder for Pine so that I could
>> open and read messages sent to me at my gmail account.
>>
>> After I open and read a message on the gmail pop server the message
>> is apparently auto-expunged after I leave the gmail inbox. I cannot
>> read the same message again when I return later to the gmail inbox.
>>
>> This behavior is quite different from the way Pine behaves when
>> I open and read messages on other pop servers. After I open and
>> read a message on other pop servers the message remains on the
>> server unless I mark it for deletion and then expunge it.
>>
>> Is there something I can do with my Pine setup to prevent the
>> auto-expunging of messages I open on the gmail pop server?
>
> I have written extensively about this on my Power Pine page in this section:
>
> POPping Gmail is Different
> <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#gmail>
>
> Especially note the part that begins with this:
>
> "The following are five ways in which Gmail is different from other POP
> service providers."
>
> As I say in that section, after *lots* of experience I decided to use a Pine
> #move folder for my Gmail account. My guess is that that will be the best
> solution for you too.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Nancy

Thanks for the URL. Lots of interesting stuff there, but I couldn't
figure out how to set up a #move folder for automagically snarfing
and moving my gmails.

Currently I am dealing with the gmail problem simply by manually
copying all of my gmails to another folder.

I think gmail really sux because of the weird server behavior.

Another way in which it sux is that the www interface does not
work unless you are using one of the latest and greatest and most
popular big brand name browsers. It won't work even if you are
using a JavaScript and SSL capable browser such as a somewhat
outdated version of Opera that still works fine for doing almost
all web sites.

NM Public

Aug 21, 2005, 7:45:16 AM8/21/05
On 21 Aug 2005, Samuel W. Heywood wrote:

> Thanks for the URL. Lots of interesting stuff there, but I
> couldn't figure out how to set up a #move folder for
> automagically snarfing and moving my gmails.

Hi Sam,

I just updated this section

Using Pine's Built-In Fetch (#move) Ability
<http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#mvMaildrop>

so *maybe* the instructions will work for you now. Can you post
what #move folder specification you tried? Maybe we will be able
to help you figure out how to get it to work.

> I think gmail really sux because [...]

Also, you are subjected to ads in the webmail client, they track
and correlate your web searches, ad clicking, email
correspondents, Google group participation, who invited you to
Gmail and who you've invited. No thanks!