starting up a new Firefox window via url-viewer on MacOS

Robert

Dec 14, 2005, 11:24:25 PM12/14/05
I am trying to set url-viewers in my .pinerc so that it will open a new
browser window with HTML attachments.

If I set it to

url-viewers="open _URL_"

Firefox says "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a
new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart
your system."

On the command line, while Firefox is already up, when I try

$ firefox -remote 'openurl(http://bar)'

it gives the same "already running" error (see above). I also tried

$ firefox -remote 'openurl(http://bar,new-window)'

and

$ firefox -remote 'openurl(http://bar,new-tab)'

All give the same "already running" error.

What should I set url-viewers to in pine to get this to work?

(I did this in Linux using the remote command and it worked great. I
don't know if Mac stores the pid in a file to allow it to communicate the
same way, 'though.)

I'm running on Mac OS X 10.4.

NM Public

Dec 15, 2005, 4:13:44 AM12/15/05
On 15 Dec 2005, Robert wrote:
> I am trying to set url-viewers in my .pinerc so that it will open a new
> browser window with HTML attachments.
>
> If I set it to
>
> url-viewers="open _URL_"
>
> Firefox says "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a
> new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart
> your system."
>
> [ deleted ]

> What should I set url-viewers to in pine to get this to work?
>
> I'm running on Mac OS X 10.4.

I use OS X 10.4.3 with Mozilla Suite and putting this in my
pinerc works:

url-viewers="/usr/bin/open _URL_"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Note the full path!

If using the full path to open doesn't solve your problem, I have
some information about url-viewers here

<http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#url-viewers>

which might give you some clues for solving this.

Let us know what you figure out!
Nancy

--
Nancy McGough ~ <http://www.ii.com> ~ <http://deflexion.com>
IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more
> > > Please keep the discussion in the group < < <

Robert

Dec 15, 2005, 10:45:54 PM12/15/05
I discovered the problem. Apparently, pine on Mac OS does not look at
url-viewers at all. It only looks in the mailcap file.

So, I had to set this in my .pinerc:

mailcap-search-path=~/.mailcap

And then put this into $HOME/.mailcap:

text/html; /usr/bin/open %s
image/jpeg; /usr/bin/open %s

This DOES NOT work:

application/*; /usr/bin/open %s
audio/*; /usr/bin/open %s
image/*; /usr/bin/open %s
video/*; /usr/bin/open %s

NM Public

Dec 16, 2005, 10:15:59 AM12/16/05

I just reread your original message Robert and see that I had
misread your question. For viewing an *attachment*, which is what
you asked, you are right that the ~/.mailcap file is used to
specify the viewer.

But, to launch a URL that is in the message text, for example
this URL:

<http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#url-viewers>

Pine does indeed look at the url-viewers setting. I just updated
the url-viewers section of my Power Pine page (which is where the
above URL goes) to try to make all this a little more clear.

Hope this is useful,

Chris Game

Dec 16, 2005, 12:55:30 PM12/16/05
NM Public wrote:

> I just updated the url-viewers section of my Power Pine page
> (which is where the above URL goes) to try to make all this a
> little more clear.

I find that page (and some of the other ii ones) difficult to use,
even with the 'contents' panel in there. Maybe they're just too
long? Every time I've tried to read through in search of some useful
tips, I've lost the will to live well before the end!

Maybe it's just me.

--
Chris Game

"It's not a good idea to look too hard at the words, they
resent it." -- T. Pratchet, "Mort".

NM Public

Dec 16, 2005, 1:39:59 PM12/16/05
On 16 Dec 2005, Chris Game wrote:
> NM Public wrote:
>
>> I just updated the url-viewers section of my Power Pine page
>> (which is where the above URL goes) to try to make all this a
>> little more clear.
>
> I find that page (and some of the other ii ones) difficult to use,
> even with the 'contents' panel in there. Maybe they're just too
> long? Every time I've tried to read through in search of some useful
> tips, I've lost the will to live well before the end!
>
> Maybe it's just me.

I know my pages are *way* *too* *long*, but I didn't realize that
they made people lose the will to live! Aargh, I've spent too
much time trying to figure out a content management system to
use. I've considered:

MediaWiki
Dokuwiki
Django
Wikka Wiki
Trac or some other Rails app

If anyone has any advice for a good system for me to move my
Infinite Ink stuff too, please let me know. I definitely want to
make it easy for people to add comments!

Maybe in 2006 I'll finally deal with this big daunting project!
For now I just keep tinkering with my existing pages and thinking
that eventually it will all be a part of a much more accessible
system.

Happy Holidays to all,