C-R Is SPAM

Frostbite

Feb 27, 2004, 9:30:13 PM2/27/04

If anyone ever sends me a "challenge" when I email them, they will
never hear from me again.

--
wq!

Alan Connor

Feb 27, 2004, 11:58:19 PM2/27/04
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 02:30:13 GMT, Frostbite <bill....@ms.com> wrote:

Sure they are. Now take a deep breath and relax. The nice young men

in the white coats will be along soon, with a nice shot for you.

AC
--
Pass-List -----> Block-List ----> Challenge-Response
The key to taking control of your mailbox.

Thor Kottelin

Feb 28, 2004, 2:48:38 AM2/28/04

Frostbite wrote:

> If anyone ever sends me a "challenge" when I email them, they will
> never hear from me again.

Yes, they are a wonderful thing, aren't they.

Thor

--
http://thorweb.anta.net/

D. Stussy

Mar 1, 2004, 2:19:08 AM3/1/04
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Frostbite wrote:
> If anyone ever sends me a "challenge" when I email them, they will
> never hear from me again.

I'm not certain that it should be called "spam" - but I certainly agree that it
should be considered part of the "noise" of the Internet in the same way that
"virus mail" isn't spam but is still undesirable.

I'm still waiting for the case where a spammer uses his (or any other C/R
system) to actually send their spam where the C/R attachment quotes the "mail"
under challenge..... Right there, that will disprove C/R systems as an
anti-spamming tool and prove that THEY ARE A SPAMMING TOOL.

Thor Kottelin

Mar 1, 2004, 2:32:56 AM3/1/04

"D. Stussy" wrote:

> I'm still waiting for the case where a spammer uses his (or any other C/R
> system) to actually send their spam where the C/R attachment quotes the "mail"
> under challenge.....

This has been tried, and serves to prove that such quotes are undesirable.
Even the "Subject:" line should probably not be quoted in full.

Thor

--
http://thorweb.anta.net/

Frostbite

Mar 1, 2004, 3:00:07 AM3/1/04
I believe it was D. Stussy who said...

And what a great tool to confirm email addresses and make spam
marketing lists more valuable.

--
wq!

Peter Peters

Mar 1, 2004, 4:38:38 AM3/1/04
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 02:30:13 GMT, Frostbite <bill....@ms.com> wrote:

> If anyone ever sends me a "challenge" when I email them, they will
> never hear from me again.

If someone sends me a challenge for a message I did not send I'll
complain to their provider. It is as much spam as those messages from AV
software claiming they are so good at detecting virii.

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)

Peter Peters

Mar 1, 2004, 4:40:35 AM3/1/04
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:32:56 +0200, Thor Kottelin <th...@anta.net> wrote:

>> I'm still waiting for the case where a spammer uses his (or any other C/R
>> system) to actually send their spam where the C/R attachment quotes the "mail"
>> under challenge.....
>
>This has been tried, and serves to prove that such quotes are undesirable.
>Even the "Subject:" line should probably not be quoted in full.

But when the subject is changed I will not see (at first glance) that it
was of a message I sent.

The same about subjects of replies from ISP's after I sent them a
complaint. No way to figure out about what they are talking.

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard

Mar 1, 2004, 6:20:37 AM3/1/04
TK> Even the "Subject:" line should probably not be quoted in full.

PP> But when the subject is changed I will not see (at first
PP> glance) that it was of a message I sent.

It will if it contains a "References:" header referencing the message ID of
the message that you sent, because a halfway decent MUA will display it as a
response to your message.

Peter Peters

Mar 1, 2004, 11:54:19 AM3/1/04

Have you ever seen such a message? I have one with a Subject: "Reply to
your message" without any shread of information about the original
e-mail. And they can't claim they won't get more than one complaint from
anybody.

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard

Mar 1, 2004, 6:37:17 PM3/1/04
TK> Even the "Subject:" line should probably not be quoted in full.

PP> But when the subject is changed I will not see (at first
PP> glance) that it was of a message I sent.

JdeBP> It will if it contains a "References:" header referencing
JdeBP> the message ID of the message that you sent, because a
JdeBP> halfway decent MUA will display it as a response to your
JdeBP> message.

PP> Have you ever seen such a message?

What such message ? A message with a "References:" header ? I see them all
of the time, and my halfway decent MUA displays them as responses to my
messages.

PP> I have one with a Subject: "Reply to your message" without
PP> any shread of information about the original e-mail.

If it contains no "shred of information" about the original message, then it
isn't what I described above.

Peter Peters

Mar 3, 2004, 4:02:52 AM3/3/04
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 23:37:17 +0000, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard
<J.deBoyn...@Tesco.NET> wrote:

>TK> Even the "Subject:" line should probably not be quoted in full.
>
>PP> But when the subject is changed I will not see (at first
>PP> glance) that it was of a message I sent.
>
>JdeBP> It will if it contains a "References:" header referencing
>JdeBP> the message ID of the message that you sent, because a
>JdeBP> halfway decent MUA will display it as a response to your
>JdeBP> message.
>
>PP> Have you ever seen such a message?
>
>What such message ? A message with a "References:" header ? I see them all
>of the time, and my halfway decent MUA displays them as responses to my
>messages.

I was talking about abuse departments that send back responses without
any indication (including References:) to the message the respond to.

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard

Mar 3, 2004, 7:55:35 AM3/3/04
TK> Even the "Subject:" line should probably not be quoted in full.

PP> But when the subject is changed I will not see (at first
PP> glance) that it was of a message I sent.

JdeBP> It will if it contains a "References:" header referencing
JdeBP> the message ID of the message that you sent, because a
JdeBP> halfway decent MUA will display it as a response to your
JdeBP> message.

PP> Have you ever seen such a message?

JdeBP> What such message ? A message with a "References:" header ?
JdeBP> I see them all of the time, and my halfway decent MUA
JdeBP> displays them as responses to my messages.

PP> I was talking about abuse departments that send back responses
PP> without any indication (including References:) to the message
PP> the respond to.

That's _not_ such a message as I described above.