Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Feb 22)

Cameron Laird

Feb 21, 2008, 8:34:21 PM2/21/08
QOTW: "Tcl doesn't come with its own syscalls :)" - Alexandre Ferrieux
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/msg/1a1d11c4ae49f23d

"Tcl can be understood in pieces; it's not necessary to know the whole
language in order to be able to program in it."
http://mini.net/tcl/3075

Thanks to Arjen Markus for his weekly summary of Wiki action:
Look at the Wiki. Notice anything different? You should: the
categories on the left have been properly filled in. It even
works on IE6 (which is actually a small wonder - thanks,
Steve, Colin, Jos, ...) and pay some attention to the home
page too: <http://wiki.tcl.tk>

What has not changed? The usual amalgam of pages. So let's start!

Musings
- How would you describe Tcl? It is an old page, but still
relevant: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/299>. And check all the other
pages that appear on the left-hand side too.

- A slightly confusing comparison between the two main implementations
that deal with XML in Tcl: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/9098>

- Everybody can make his or her own version or rival of make.
And many do and others use them, as witnessed by
<http://wiki.tcl.tk/10427>

- What is there to tell about "dot-net"? The name should be well-known.
But what is behind it all? <http://wiki.tcl.tk/6192> highlights
some aspects relevant to Tcl.

Techniques
- Oh, those applications with their configuration files ... they
appear everywhere, don't they? Here are a few techniques for
dealing with such files when you write an app.
<http://wiki.tcl.tk/13565>

- Perhaps you want to use a spam filter service ... not a bad
idea according to the latest statistics. So, perhaps you should
look at <http://wiki.tcl.tk/18181>

- And like make or object-orient extensions, it is easy to
think of an alternative to dictionaries. And it has its own
merits: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/20785>

Everything Tcl-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in these
pages:
The "Welcome to comp.lang.tcl" message by Andreas Kupries
http://www.purl.org/net/tcl-welcome
comp.lang.tcl is a crucial resource for Tcl practitioners.
An interesting perspective on its traffic appears at
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/about

The Tcl Developer Site is Tcl's "home base".
http://www.tcl.tk

Larry Virden maintains a comp.lang.tcl FAQ launcher.
http://www.purl.org/NET/Tcl-FAQ/

The Tcl Developer Xchange is a highly organized resource center
of documents and software with provisions for individuals to
maintain references to their own software:
http://www.tcl.tk/resource/
The TDX sponsor, ActiveState, also keeps info to convince your
boss Tcl is a good thing
http://www.tcl.tk/scripting/

The Tcl'ers Wiki is a huge, dynamic, collaboratively edited repository
of documentation, examples, tutorials and pontifications on all things
Tcl.
http://wiki.tcl.tk/0
For the ideal overview of the topics about Tcl most likely to
interest a newcomer, see "Arts and Crafts ..."
http://wiki.tcl.tk/969
There's also a high-quality Wikibook on Tcl:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Tcl

ActiveState maintains binaries distribution and development tools
http://www.activestate.com/Tcl
along with a Cookbook of Tcl recipes
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Tcl

"La Gazette du Técleux" is an important monthly publication.
http://wfr.tcl.tk/1159

deli.cio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
It already aggregates quite a bit of Tcl intelligence.
http://del.icio.us/tag/tcl

Cameron Laird tracks several Tcl/Tk references of interest (but
needs to validate many of the links).
http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.lang.tcl/

Years ago, Cetus Links maintained a Tcl/Tk page with verified links
http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_tcl_tk.html

"Yahoo! Groups" archives comp.lang.tcl.announce posts--even
though clta itself is dormant.

We're working on more useful archives of past installments. In the
meantime, an alternative is
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Tcl-URL&as_ugroup=comp.lang.tcl

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday, ask
<cla...@phaseit.net> to subscribe. Be sure to mention "Tcl-URL!".
--
Phaseit, Inc. (http://phaseit.net) is pleased to participate in and
sponsor the "Tcl-URL!" project.

Tom Conner

Feb 22, 2008, 2:33:49 AM2/22/08
> "Tcl can be understood in pieces; it's not necessary to know the whole
> language in order to be able to program in it."
> http://mini.net/tcl/3075

That certainly is true. I have developed quite an extensive collection of
Tcl test cases for software test automation of networking equipment, and a
powerful environment for running the test cases, and generating reports. In
all of this I have never used eval (to pick one unused command), nor do I
have the slightest idea of why it is needed, or how to use it.

Jeannot

Feb 22, 2008, 3:34:55 AM2/22/08
I guess we forget the announcement of the 7th european Tcl/Tk user
conference!!!!
All welcome in Strasbourg, France. June 6-7 2008. !! details soon...

Jeannot

Andreas Leitgeb

Feb 22, 2008, 9:32:36 AM2/22/08
Cameron Laird <tcl...@phaseit.net> wrote:
> "Tcl can be understood in pieces; it's not necessary to know the whole
> language in order to be able to program in it."
> http://mini.net/tcl/3075

mini.net: This domain may be for sale by its owner!
The correct URL is: http://wiki.tcl.tk/3075

Cameron Laird

Feb 22, 2008, 11:03:19 AM2/22/08
In article <13rsuh1...@corp.supernews.com>,

a) Yes; more than with any other language I know, I find
myself bumping into people who know Tcl, but think of it
as something else ("Expect"; "the CAD programming language";
...), and/or know only a fraction of Tcl, but are perfectly
content with what they have.
b) Thanks to Andreas for pointing out the correct URL is <URL:
http://wiki.tcl.tk/3075 >.
c) While <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/14069 > is accurate, I know
I'd write it differently know. Long ago, eval was at the
heart of Tcl, and much of Tcl programming centered on eval-
based techniques. Now, eval is at the heart of Tcl, but it
should essentially never appear in conventional application
programming, because all its use cases have been wrapped as
miscellaneous conveniences.