Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Apr 10)

Cameron Laird

Apr 10, 2008, 5:17:23 PM4/10/08
QOTW: "... [T]he trick to getting [pack]ed layouts to resize properly is to
pack everything from the outside in." - Joe English

Dynamic Languages are welcome in Cyprus:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/msg/b9a3fb166e9349f0

Alexandre Ferrieux writes a few wise words that often are mysteries
to those learning about DNS, -peername, and so on.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/msg/03c95203bb5edbed

Thanks to Arjen Markus for his weekly summary of Wiki action:
Demonstrations and small applications that are ready for use.
And some discussions and explanations. All on our beloved Wiki!

Community topics
- The history and architecture of the Tclers' Wiki explained:
<http://wiki.tcl.tk/20791>

- You may have heard of the Tcl Association ... Well, it is not
a secret society: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/17045> (We have another
page for that - but that is confidential of course)

- And join it if you can: the 15th Conference on Tcl wil be held
in October - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/20978>

Objects and subjects
- Poet is one of the many object-oriented extensions that Tcl
enjoys. The paper is illuminating. <http://wiki.tcl.tk/19918>

- TclOO is a low-level extension meant to make life easier for
such extensions as Poet. Learn more at: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/18152>

Demos and apps
- Unzip your file/archive and print the contents:
<http://wiki.tcl.tk/7433> demonstrates the use of the vfs::zip package

- Learn Chinese with flash cards (or see how you can use flash cards
for your own purpose): <http://wiki.tcl.tk/20236>

- Add a smooth blinking gadget to your application to indicate
(network) activity: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/11801>

- This French Wiki page shows a way to handle SMS text messages on a
small device. No need for megabytes of libraries, just a small Tcl
script will do, though <http://wfr.wiki.fr/1581> could be improved.

Everything Tcl-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in these
pages:
The "Welcome to comp.lang.tcl" message by Andreas Kupries
http://www.purl.org/net/tcl-welcome
comp.lang.tcl is a crucial resource for Tcl practitioners.
An interesting perspective on its traffic appears at
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/about

The Tcl Developer Site is Tcl's "home base".
http://www.tcl.tk

Larry Virden maintains a comp.lang.tcl FAQ launcher.
http://www.purl.org/NET/Tcl-FAQ/

The Tcl Developer Xchange is a highly organized resource center
of documents and software with provisions for individuals to
maintain references to their own software:
http://www.tcl.tk/resource/
The TDX sponsor, ActiveState, also keeps info to convince your
boss Tcl is a good thing
http://www.tcl.tk/scripting/

The Tcl'ers Wiki is a huge, dynamic, collaboratively edited repository
of documentation, examples, tutorials and pontifications on all things
Tcl.
http://wiki.tcl.tk/0
For the ideal overview of the topics about Tcl most likely to
interest a newcomer, see "Arts and Crafts ..."
http://wiki.tcl.tk/969
There's also a high-quality Wikibook on Tcl:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Tcl

ActiveState maintains binaries distribution and development tools
http://www.activestate.com/Tcl
along with a Cookbook of Tcl recipes
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Tcl

"La Gazette du Técleux" is an important monthly publication.
http://wfr.tcl.tk/1159

deli.cio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
It already aggregates quite a bit of Tcl intelligence.
http://del.icio.us/tag/tcl

Cameron Laird tracks several Tcl/Tk references of interest (but
needs to validate many of the links).
http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.lang.tcl/

Years ago, Cetus Links maintained a Tcl/Tk page with verified links
http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_tcl_tk.html

"Yahoo! Groups" archives comp.lang.tcl.announce posts--even
though clta itself is dormant.

We're working on more useful archives of past installments. In the
meantime, an alternative is
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Tcl-URL&as_ugroup=comp.lang.tcl

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday, ask
<cla...@phaseit.net> to subscribe. Be sure to mention "Tcl-URL!".
--
Phaseit, Inc. (http://phaseit.net) is pleased to participate in and
sponsor the "Tcl-URL!" project.

keithv

Apr 10, 2008, 7:19:29 PM4/10/08
> Demos and apps
> - Unzip your file/archive and print the contents:
> <http://wiki.tcl.tk/7433> demonstrates the use of the vfs::zip package

Typo: http://wiki.tcl.tk/17433

Helmut Giese

Apr 11, 2008, 7:57:55 AM4/11/08
> - This French Wiki page shows a way to handle SMS text messages on a
> small device. No need for megabytes of libraries, just a small Tcl
> script will do, though <http://wfr.wiki.fr/1581> could be improved.
This link didn't work but http://wfr.tcl.tk/1581 showed a page titled
"sms2unicode.tcl", so I guess this is the page which was meant.
Helmut Giese

Arjen Markus

Apr 11, 2008, 8:31:11 AM4/11/08
On 11 apr, 13:57, Helmut Giese <hgi...@ratiosoft.com> wrote:
> >  - This French Wiki page shows a way to handle SMS text messages on a
> >    small device. No need for megabytes of libraries, just a small Tcl
> >    script will do, though <http://wfr.wiki.fr/1581> could be improved.
>
> This link didn't work buthttp://wfr.tcl.tk/1581showed a page titled

> "sms2unicode.tcl", so I guess this is the page which was meant.
> Helmut Giese

Yes, both you and Keith are right - stupid typos. My hand-
brain coordination seems to require some improvement ;).

Regards,

Arjen

Helmut Giese

Apr 11, 2008, 11:11:19 AM4/11/08
>Yes, both you and Keith are right - stupid typos. My hand-
>brain coordination seems to require some improvement ;).
Ah, c'mon Arjen,
you exaggerate.
We all appreciate your weekly overview over what happened on the wiki,
and a few typos won't influence this.
Weekend is apporaching - try to get some rest. :)
Best regards
Helmut Giese

Cameron Laird

Apr 11, 2008, 11:34:29 AM4/11/08
In article <5fc93393-e79f-432b...@k1g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
.
.
.
I'd say you just deserve more careful review by your editor.

Arjen Markus

Apr 12, 2008, 4:25:58 AM4/12/08
On 11 apr, 17:34, cla...@lairds.us (Cameron Laird) wrote:

> >> This link didn't work buthttp://wfr.tcl.tk/1581showeda page titled

> >> "sms2unicode.tcl", so I guess this is the page which was meant.
> >> Helmut Giese
>
> >Yes, both you and Keith are right - stupid typos. My hand-
> >brain coordination seems to require some improvement ;).
>
> .
> .
> .
> I'd say you just deserve more careful review by your editor.

I appreciate your kind words, and indeed I exaggerate :). It also
shows that
you are all carefully reading these summaries.

Regards,

Arjen

John Seal

Apr 14, 2008, 12:30:24 PM4/14/08
> QOTW: "... [T]he trick to getting [pack]ed layouts to resize properly is
> pack everything from the outside in." - Joe English

I find that ambiguous. By definition, [pack] works from the outside edges of
the cavity, towards the inside, so I assume "outside in" is not supposed to
be interpreted geometrically. Interpreting it hierarchically, does it mean
to pack the parents first, then the children, then the grandchildren, etc.?

Whenever I've had problems with packed layouts not resizing properly, it's
always been faulty specification of the -fill and -expand options.

Andreas Leitgeb

Apr 17, 2008, 5:15:08 AM4/17/08
John Seal <john_...@raytheon.com> wrote:
>> QOTW: "... [T]he trick to getting [pack]ed layouts to resize properly is
>> to pack everything from the outside in." - Joe English

> I find that ambiguous. By definition, [pack] works from the outside edges of
> the cavity, towards the inside,

It is often used from one side to the other, but that leads to
(usually) undesired behaviour

e.g. your window shall be split in three parts arranged vertically,
say some toolbar, the content and some status bar.

Naively, one often packs them in that order
pack .top -expand no -fill x -side top
pack .content -expand yes -fill both -side top
pack .bot -expand no -fill x

But the rule says: pack top and bot first, and content last
pack .top -expand no -fill x -side top
pack .bot -expand no -fill x -side bottom
pack .content -expand yes -fill both

You see the difference, when you start to shrink the main window
beyond the point where all the *requested* heights fitted in:
if space gets tight, the last one packed loses, not the one with
-expand yes (which only gets the extra space when there's plenty)

tkdiff is an example for this effect: if you make it even only
slightly smaller (in height), then the statusbar disappears first.