TCL 2008 First call for proposals/papers/participation:

1 view

Ron Fox

Apr 8, 2008, 2:53:50 PM4/8/08
TCL 2008 First call for participation and papers
==================================
http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2008/

On October 20-24, 2008, the city of Manassas, VA will play host to Tcl
2008.
Join us for what promises to be a memorable, informative and fun
conference.

Tcl 2008 will be held at the Comfort Suites in Manassas, VA; about 30 miles
outside of Washington DC . Tutorial sessions on various topics will be
held October 20 and 21. The technical sessions will run October 22 through
October 24.

If you have an interesting Tcl paper to contribute, a tutorial to offer,
a suggestion to give, submit it to the Tcl 2008 program commitee:
"tcl2008 at tcl dot tk". Pretty much anything Tcl/Tk is acceptable.
In the past we have had papers on:

* Application of Tcl/Tk in industries as diverse as engineering,
science, industrial controls, broadcasting, financial services,
medical and electronic design
* Networking with Tcl/Tk, including distributed applications and
network management
* Object frameworks for Tcl/Tk
* New widgets and techniques for GUI design with Tk
* Simulation and application steering with Tcl/Tk
* Tcl/Tk on handheld and embedded devices
* New Tcl extensions and add-ons, including Tcllib and Tklib
* Tcl/Tk centric operating environments
* Tcl/Tk in education and learning environments.

Author Schdule:
* Submit abstracts and tutorial proposals to Tcl2008 at Tcl dot tk by
July 15, 2008
* Authors will be informed of acceptance by September 7
* Author materials should be submitted to the proceedings editor
by October 15, 2008

This year we will be making the conference proceedings available as an
on-demand book using http://lulu.com

Tcl 2008 provides an unparalleled opportunity to discuss your Tcl
projects with some of the world's top Tcl experts. Past conferences
have included notables like:

* Jeff Hobbs: The Tcl Guy and ActiveState's point man for Tcl
development and support.
* Clif Flynt: Author of _Tcl/Tk:_A_Developer's_Guide_, as well
as the popular TclTutor application.
* Donal Fellows Author of TCL OO.
* Miguel Sofer, Tcl Core team member and byte code compiler expert.
* D. Richard Hipp, Tcl Core Team member and author of sqlite.
* Mike Doyle: Director of Eolas.
* Joe English, Author of the ttk toolkit formerly (and still)
known as Tile.
* Sean "Hypnotoad" Woods, author of 'that other' Tao.

Conference Committee:

Local Site:
===========
Affiliation
Sean Woods Test and Evaluation
Solutions LLC Facilities chair
Clif Flynt Noumena Corp. General Chair

Program Committee:

Sean Woods Test and Evaluations Solutions LLC
Clif Flynt Noumena Corp.
Steve Redler IV SR Technology
Steve Landers Digital Smarties
Cyndy Lilagan Iomas Research
Kevin B. Kenny G.E. Global Research Center.
Jeffrey Hobbs ActiveState Software Inc.
Andreas Kupries ActiveState Software Inc.
Ron Fox NSCL Michigan State University
Donal Fellows University of Manchester
Larry Virden Tcl FAQ Maintainer
Mike Doyle Iomas Research
Matthew M. Burke George Washington University
Gerald Lester TicketSwitch USA LLC
Richard Suchenwirth Siemens Industrial Solutions
and Services Postal Automation
Division

Tcl 2008 would like to thank those who are sponsoring the conference:

ActiveState Software Inc.
Noumena Corp.
SR Technology
Tcl consortium

bill...@alum.mit.edu

Apr 8, 2008, 6:29:09 PM4/8/08
Just as a matter of curiosity, am I hallucinating or is this a change
from Philadelphia in September?

bill...@alum.mit.edu

Apr 8, 2008, 6:38:35 PM4/8/08

I wasn't hallucinating. The wiki http://wiki.tcl.tk/20100 shows
September and Philidelphia. This page http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2008/
has the new location but gives both the old dates and the new (without
recognition of the contradiction.).

Keith Nash

Apr 8, 2008, 9:09:17 PM4/8/08
Ron Fox wrote:

> Author Schdule:
> * Submit abstracts and tutorial proposals to Tcl2008 at Tcl dot tk by
> July 15, 2008

http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2008/ says the abstract deadline is August
15, 2008.

Which is the correct deadline?

(Also the web page gives two sets of dates for the conference - the bold
text at the top of the page says September 24-28, 2008.)

Keith.

Ron Fox

Apr 9, 2008, 6:32:44 AM4/9/08
This is a change from the original plan to hold the conference in
Philly, due to Sean 'hypnotoad' Woods's relocation to the DC area.

As the guy accepting the abstracts, given the conflicting dates I'll go
with the 'supermarket' policy of the date most favorable to the customer
(August 15) and change the dates for the second CFP which wil probably
come out May-ish.

Ron

Jeff Hobbs

Apr 9, 2008, 2:35:52 PM4/9/08
On Apr 8, 6:09 pm, Keith Nash <k...@citizenearth.com> wrote:
> Ron Fox wrote:
> > Author Schdule:
> > * Submit abstracts and tutorial proposals to Tcl2008 at Tcl dot tk by
> >    July 15, 2008
>
> http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2008/says the abstract deadline is August

> 15, 2008.
>
> Which is the correct deadline?
>
> (Also the web page gives two sets of dates for the conference - the bold
> text at the top of the page says September 24-28, 2008.)

Fixed the latter.

Jeff