First-ever SUPPLEMENTARY Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Oct 23)

Cameron Laird

Oct 23, 2008, 7:11:42 AM10/23/08
> QOTW: "... in addition to being easier to unit-test than thread[ing
> solutions], they are also mightily more convincing about not sharing
> anything ;-)" - Alexandre Ferrieux, on "child processes"
.
.
.
My apologies, folks; through an all-too-typical sequence of
mistakes, this week's "Tcl-URL!" didn't include the most
important notice of all: this is the week of the Conference!
While those who weren't aware of it have already missed much,
there's still much more to come, as you can see and hear for
yourself through <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/21712 >.

Ralf Fassel

Oct 23, 2008, 8:28:57 AM10/23/08
* Cameron Laird <tcl...@phaseit.net>

| this is the week of the Conference! While those who weren't aware
| of it have already missed much, there's still much more to come, as
| you can see and hear for yourself through <URL:
| http://wiki.tcl.tk/21712 >.

Would it make sense to announce the time zone and offset to UTC of the
conference location there? 10:20am in Manassas is *when* in my office?

R'

Donal K. Fellows

Oct 23, 2008, 1:32:08 PM10/23/08
Ralf Fassel wrote:
> Would it make sense to announce the time zone and offset to UTC of the
> conference location there? 10:20am in Manassas is *when* in my office?

Manassas is in Virginia, USA. Which is EDT at this time of year, so
UTC-04:00. (Or is it +4? I can never remember what the sign of the
offset means...)

Donal.

Alexandre Ferrieux

Oct 23, 2008, 5:47:50 PM10/23/08
On Oct 23, 7:32 pm, "Donal K. Fellows"

To help you remember: they're still partying when you're turning in in
the UK ;-)

-Alex

Larry W. Virden

Oct 23, 2008, 8:31:54 PM10/23/08
On Oct 23, 5:47 pm, Alexandre Ferrieux <alexandre.ferri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> To help you remember: they're still partying when you're turning in in
> the UK ;-)

currently many of them are at the Wine BOF...

Donal K. Fellows

Oct 24, 2008, 2:09:23 AM10/24/08
Alexandre Ferrieux wrote:

> Donal K. Fellows wrote:
>> Manassas is in Virginia, USA. Which is EDT at this time of year, so
>> UTC-04:00. (Or is it +4? I can never remember what the sign of the
>> offset means...)
>
> To help you remember: they're still partying when you're turning in in
> the UK ;-)

That's the part I can remember. It's how to convert to a sign that
confuses me every time. :-)

Donal.

Cameron Laird

Oct 23, 2008, 4:01:30 PM10/23/08
In article <yga63nj...@gepard2.akutech-local.de>,

A. http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=time%20in%20manassas%20virginia&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
B. EDT
C. UTC - 4h
D. clock format [clock seconds] -timezone :America/New_York

Kevin et al., please help me with D. (or perhaps E.). Is there an elegant
way to map

EDT -> UTC - 4h

with 8.5 of [clock]?

Cameron Laird

Oct 23, 2008, 10:04:28 AM10/23/08

suchenwi

Oct 24, 2008, 7:16:32 AM10/24/08
On 23 Okt., 16:04, cla...@lairds.us (Cameron Laird) wrote:
> Kevin et al., please help me with D. (or perhaps E.).  Is there an elegant
> way to map
>
>         EDT -> UTC - 4h
>
> with 8.5 of [clock]?

Like this? (works correct only for integer hour distances)

% proc tzdiff {tz1 {tz2 UTC}} {
expr {[scan [clock format [clock sec] -timezone $tz1 -format %H]
%d]
-[scan [clock format [clock sec] -timezone $tz2 -format %H]
%d]}
}
% tzdiff :America/New_York
-4

Ralf Fassel

Oct 24, 2008, 7:49:39 AM10/24/08
* cla...@lairds.us (Cameron Laird)

| A. http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=time%20in%20manassas%20virginia&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
| B. EDT
| C. UTC - 4h
| D. clock format [clock seconds] -timezone :America/New_York

Yes, but....

time {
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=time%20in%20manassas%20virginia&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
EDT
UTC - 4h

clock format [clock seconds] -timezone :America/New_York

} 10
=> 125768374 microseconds per iteration

time {
set fd [open $tcl_conference_page_on_screen r]
set offset [read $fd]
close $eyes
} 10
=> 936768 microseconds per iteration

R', reducing my CO2 footprint wherever possible ;-)

Alexandre Ferrieux

Oct 24, 2008, 9:22:44 AM10/24/08
On Oct 24, 1:16 pm, suchenwi <richard.suchenwirth-

You may want to compute [clock sec] just once to be robust to "lack of
luck" ;-)
You may also feed a constant time there (choose in January or July of
1970 according to your DST preferences).

-Alex

suchenwi

Oct 24, 2008, 9:30:44 AM10/24/08
On 24 Okt., 15:22, Alexandre Ferrieux <alexandre.ferri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> You may also feed a constant time there (choose in January or July of
> 1970 according to your DST preferences).

The reason why tzdata are so big is that they change so often (mostly
because of different dates for switching between "winter" and
"sumjmer" (daylight saving) time, and a difference between two
locations in January 1970 might not be the same in February 2008, so
one should ask for it with a concrete point in time. But that could of
course better be passed in as an argument, instead of using [clock
seconds].

Ron Fox

Oct 27, 2008, 7:23:14 AM10/27/08
And I should report that the lack of Donal's scotch was mostly made up
by a beer tasting presided over by kbk.

Ron.

--
Ron Fox
NSCL

Kevin Kenny

Oct 28, 2008, 7:45:54 AM10/28/08
Cameron Laird wrote:
> A. http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=time%20in%20manassas%20virginia&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
> B. EDT
> C. UTC - 4h
> D. clock format [clock seconds] -timezone :America/New_York
>
> Kevin et al., please help me with D. (or perhaps E.). Is there an elegant
> way to map
>
> EDT -> UTC - 4h
>
> with 8.5 of [clock]?

Does the following do what you seek?

% clock format [clock seconds] -format "%Z %z" \
-timezone :America/New_York
EDT -0400

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin

Cameron Laird

Oct 28, 2008, 4:57:24 PM10/28/08
In article <4906FB72...@acm.org>, Kevin Kenny <ken...@acm.org> wrote:
.
.
.

>> Kevin et al., please help me with D. (or perhaps E.). Is there an elegant
>> way to map
>>
>> EDT -> UTC - 4h
>>
>> with 8.5 of [clock]?
>
>Does the following do what you seek?
>
>% clock format [clock seconds] -format "%Z %z" \
> -timezone :America/New_York
>EDT -0400
.
.
.
Indeed! That's more of the symmetry I was after. Thank you.

You can guess what's next: how do I ask clock what -timezone-s it recognizes?