priority of bugs...

Andreas Leitgeb

Oct 11, 2007, 8:43:08 AM10/11/07
I was a bit surprised to find Tcl-bug nr. 1788682
highest-priorized (It's about two typoes in a
README file.) I guess this is some insider-joke, or
are there also technical/statistical reasons?

Mark Janssen

Oct 11, 2007, 9:31:52 AM10/11/07
On 11 okt, 14:43, Andreas Leitgeb <a...@gamma.logic.tuwien.ac.at>
wrote:

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the size of the patch file is
666 bytes.

Mark

Larry W. Virden

Oct 11, 2007, 9:48:48 AM10/11/07
On Oct 11, 8:43 am, Andreas Leitgeb <a...@gamma.logic.tuwien.ac.at>
wrote:

I would think that bug reports accompanied by patches, easily
verified, would probably be given high priority to ensure they happen
before a release.

Of course, I'm partial to this particular bug report. However, check
the history - it wasn't _ME_ who gave it that priority...

ZB

Oct 11, 2007, 10:29:29 AM10/11/07
Dnia 11.10.2007 Mark Janssen <mpc.j...@gmail.com> napisał/a:

> Maybe it has to do with the fact that the size of the patch file is
> 666 bytes.

Evil geniuses in action... :-O
--
ZB

Donal K. Fellows

Oct 11, 2007, 11:37:10 AM10/11/07
Larry W. Virden wrote:
> Of course, I'm partial to this particular bug report. However, check
> the history - it wasn't _ME_ who gave it that priority...

It was probably me that bumped it up, and the 9 really just means
"block 8.5.0 until this is done". :-)

Donal.

Donald G Porter

Oct 11, 2007, 12:11:34 PM10/11/07

Sometimes the "prio=9" setting is used as a flag to self
or to release managers to mean "This bug ought to be fixed
before the next release".

Sometimes that's because the bug is too critical to permit to continue
to live.

Sometimes it's because the fix is too simple to permit the embarrassment
of a release without it.

--
| Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division |
| donald...@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory |

Andreas Leitgeb

Oct 11, 2007, 6:19:28 PM10/11/07

I envision in the future, say in 2010 among the TCT:
Someone: Hey shouldn't we think about releasing 8.5b2 any time soon?
Second one: Not yet! I've got these 20 prio-9 bugs still open,
three typos in README, the others in ChangeLog
Third one: Wasn't there also that bug with \0-chars in << arg
to exec?
Second one: Hey we don't want to delay it further than necessary...

Sorry, had a clown for dinner today.
Of course I'm aware of that bugreports with a ready patch are
processed in no time, and I'm also feeling guilty for not having
submitted patches yet, myself...

Ron Fox

Oct 12, 2007, 9:48:54 AM10/12/07
Andreas Leitgeb wrote:

> Sorry, had a clown for dinner today.

I like mine with a bit of salt and a dash of tobasco.
But there's nothing better really than a mime.

Bryan Oakley

Oct 12, 2007, 11:08:44 AM10/12/07

I just wish it wasn't so hard to get them out of the darned box!

--
Bryan Oakley
http://www.tclscripting.com

Donal K. Fellows

Oct 12, 2007, 11:32:00 AM10/12/07
Bryan Oakley wrote:
> Ron Fox wrote:
>> Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
>>> Sorry, had a clown for dinner today.
>>
>> I like mine with a bit of salt and a dash of tobasco.
>> But there's nothing better really than a mime.
>
> I just wish it wasn't so hard to get them out of the darned box!

Why not just get the brand in the squeezy tube?

Donal.

Uwe Klein

Oct 12, 2007, 11:58:27 AM10/12/07

prechewed clown? bleh, who'd take that!

You have to gulp them down whole just like oysters.

Otherwise you won't get that nice tcl feeling in the throat
when they wave their arms franticaly while going down.

> Donal.
uwe
hm, whats for dinner?