Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Sep 10)

Cameron Laird

Sep 10, 2008, 12:49:10 PM9/10/08
QOTW: "Basically the stubs/starkit thing is the Tcl way to do the same thing
OS X Frameworks and App Bundles do in a cross platform way." - Michael Schlenk

"I've had odd experiences with native dialogue[s] on Windows, and it always
came down to some random shell extension that is magically invoked in the
background. Usually adobe acrobat reader, it seems." - WL
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/msg/4aa6a2004aceeb32

Well, *should* Linux distributions have Tcl threads enabled? It's
far from an easy question: understand, for example, that thread-
enablement generally *decreases* performance:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/805731c32f53c4b7/
Please be aware that conscientious effort has the potential to affect
real distributions.

Bryan Oakley makes the case for support of a simple HTML widget,
'midst a larger discussion that touches on Webkit, Gecko, style,
...:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/1c80ed7c30ac9c27/

tkpath now has [surface]:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/ea012238b496baa6/

Thanks to Arjen Markus for his weekly summary of Wiki action:
One never knows, this may be the last Wiki summary, as of today
we must live in fear of the Large Hadron Collider! But until the
actual destruction of the Earth, here is the summary.

Struggles
- The tale of a man with a mission: developing for the Nokia is
not for the weak of heart - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/20823>

- Eggdrop is a well-known IRC client that uses Tcl as its scripting
language or is even implemented in Tcl. It comes with a whole
bunch of commands of its own. The result: a very different
environment than what most Tclers are used to. <http://wiki.tcl.tk/20854>

- Combining Java and Tcl is no big deal with TclBlend or Jacl.
When it comes to creating user-interfaces, well, check
<http://wiki.tcl.tk/6221> for some of the possibilities.

Nice to know
- PostScript has its uses and problems of course. But there is
a nice practical use of TcLOO on this page: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/3301>

- Another place for some of things TclOO is capable of:
<http://wiki.tcl.tk/21595>

- Controlling hardware, like, say, a webcam, just requires a couple of
scripts - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/20868>

- NexTk is a new windowing system based on Tcl. It may have some performance
issues, but look at the screenshots! <http://wiki.tcl.tk/16320>

- There is no GOTO in Tcl. Not for any philosophical reason, but why
would you need it? And you can have it if you want.
<http://wiki.tcl.tk/901> for details.

Everything Tcl-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in these
pages:
The "Welcome to comp.lang.tcl" message by Andreas Kupries
http://www.purl.org/net/tcl-welcome
comp.lang.tcl is a crucial resource for Tcl practitioners.
An interesting perspective on its traffic appears at
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/about

The Tcl Developer Site is Tcl's "home base".
http://www.tcl.tk

Larry Virden maintains a comp.lang.tcl FAQ launcher.
http://www.purl.org/NET/Tcl-FAQ/

The Tcl Developer Xchange is a highly organized resource center
of documents and software with provisions for individuals to
maintain references to their own software:
http://www.tcl.tk/resource/
The TDX sponsor, ActiveState, also keeps info to convince your
boss Tcl is a good thing
http://www.tcl.tk/scripting/

The Tcl'ers Wiki is a huge, dynamic, collaboratively edited repository
of documentation, examples, tutorials and pontifications on all things
Tcl.
http://wiki.tcl.tk/0
For the ideal overview of the topics about Tcl most likely to
interest a newcomer, see "Arts and Crafts ..."
http://wiki.tcl.tk/969
There's also a high-quality Wikibook on Tcl:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Tcl

ActiveState maintains binaries distribution and development tools
http://www.activestate.com/Tcl
along with a Cookbook of Tcl recipes
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Tcl

"La Gazette du Técleux" is an important monthly publication.
http://wfr.tcl.tk/1159

deli.cio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
It already aggregates quite a bit of Tcl intelligence.
http://del.icio.us/tag/tcl

Cameron Laird tracks several Tcl/Tk references of interest (but
needs to validate many of the links).
http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.lang.tcl/

Years ago, Cetus Links maintained a Tcl/Tk page with verified links
http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_tcl_tk.html

"Yahoo! Groups" archives comp.lang.tcl.announce posts--even
though clta itself is dormant.

We're working on more useful archives of past installments. In the
meantime, an alternative is
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Tcl-URL&as_ugroup=comp.lang.tcl

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday, ask
<cla...@phaseit.net> to subscribe. Be sure to mention "Tcl-URL!".
--
Phaseit, Inc. (http://phaseit.net) is pleased to participate in and
sponsor the "Tcl-URL!" project.

Bruce

Sep 10, 2008, 1:30:44 PM9/10/08
Cameron Laird wrote:

> Thanks to Arjen Markus for his weekly summary of Wiki action:
> One never knows, this may be the last Wiki summary, as of today
> we must live in fear of the Large Hadron Collider! But until the
> actual destruction of the Earth, here is the summary.

Nothing to fear, unless and until the "cross the streams",
that would be bad ;)

Ron Fox

Sep 11, 2008, 7:13:35 AM9/11/08
Cameron Laird wrote:

> Thanks to Arjen Markus for his weekly summary of Wiki action:
> One never knows, this may be the last Wiki summary, as of today
> we must live in fear of the Large Hadron Collider! But until the
> actual destruction of the Earth, here is the summary.

_sigh_ though actually LHC has not yet started colliding beams.. just
transporting them around the ring.

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2008/PR08.08E.html

--
Ron Fox