Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Jun 8)

Cameron Laird

Jun 8, 2008, 1:06:55 PM6/8/08
QOTW: "Tcl: The Convenient Language." - Will Duquette

Miguel accelerates uplevel:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/msg/3d4c585b8201ff2c?hl=en

Oh, to have been in Strasbourg for EuroTcl 2008:
http://www.eurotcl.org/index.html

Don't miss Mark Roseman's tutorial on Ttk styling:
http://www.tkdocs.com/tutorial/styles.html

An xterm in Tk? Is there a need? G. P. Staplin certainly
has the ability:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/b3704cb55bb84c07
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/msg/1055125ed4e00aad?hl=en

Thanks to Arjen Markus for his weekly summary of Wiki action:
Some of the topics of last week continue to be of interest.
So let's have a look

Sounds and noise
- If you are interested in speech analysis and the like do
check out the Emu system: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/6618>

- An interesting observation regarding generating random
numbers: does shuffling improve the properties of a random
number sequence? <http://wiki.tcl.tk/1551>

Pictures
- The shape extension allows you to do very cute things.
It is implemented in eTcl, so for a French clock on your
mobile phone: <http://wfr.tcl.tk/1626>

- Tile or Tk's themed widgets can be used to create a nice
table widget - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/20930>

- Yet another 3D demo: the picture on <http://wiki.tcl.tk/17771>
looks rather impressive!

Data
- A web server plus database server - accessible via Tcl ...
More information on <http://wiki.tcl.tk/2090> and
<http://wiki.tcl.tk/21151>

- We all love benchmarks, don't we? Here is your chance to
contribute: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/21163>. But take the advice
in consideration of reading the article mentioned at the end.
that might come in handy: the interface to an SQL database
connected tot

Everything Tcl-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in these
pages:
The "Welcome to comp.lang.tcl" message by Andreas Kupries
http://www.purl.org/net/tcl-welcome
comp.lang.tcl is a crucial resource for Tcl practitioners.
An interesting perspective on its traffic appears at
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/about

The Tcl Developer Site is Tcl's "home base".
http://www.tcl.tk

Larry Virden maintains a comp.lang.tcl FAQ launcher.
http://www.purl.org/NET/Tcl-FAQ/

The Tcl Developer Xchange is a highly organized resource center
of documents and software with provisions for individuals to
maintain references to their own software:
http://www.tcl.tk/resource/
The TDX sponsor, ActiveState, also keeps info to convince your
boss Tcl is a good thing
http://www.tcl.tk/scripting/

The Tcl'ers Wiki is a huge, dynamic, collaboratively edited repository
of documentation, examples, tutorials and pontifications on all things
Tcl.
http://wiki.tcl.tk/0
For the ideal overview of the topics about Tcl most likely to
interest a newcomer, see "Arts and Crafts ..."
http://wiki.tcl.tk/969
There's also a high-quality Wikibook on Tcl:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Tcl

ActiveState maintains binaries distribution and development tools
http://www.activestate.com/Tcl
along with a Cookbook of Tcl recipes
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Tcl

"La Gazette du Técleux" is an important monthly publication.
http://wfr.tcl.tk/1159

deli.cio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
It already aggregates quite a bit of Tcl intelligence.
http://del.icio.us/tag/tcl

Cameron Laird tracks several Tcl/Tk references of interest (but
needs to validate many of the links).
http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.lang.tcl/

Years ago, Cetus Links maintained a Tcl/Tk page with verified links
http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_tcl_tk.html

"Yahoo! Groups" archives comp.lang.tcl.announce posts--even
though clta itself is dormant.

We're working on more useful archives of past installments. In the
meantime, an alternative is
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Tcl-URL&as_ugroup=comp.lang.tcl

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday, ask
<cla...@phaseit.net> to subscribe. Be sure to mention "Tcl-URL!".
--
Phaseit, Inc. (http://phaseit.net) is pleased to participate in and
sponsor the "Tcl-URL!" project.

vitic

Jun 8, 2008, 9:48:37 PM6/8/08
NAVISERVER???? --- that thing is DEAD. Last update - 2006, NO
documentation, NO binaries, NO forums/people talking about it, who
knows if it works at all.
It's screaming "STAY AWAY FROM ME" :) Unless you got tons of time to
waste, of course. ;) Don't say you haven't been warned.

---Victor

RE:

Arjen Markus

Jun 9, 2008, 2:34:14 AM6/9/08

Hm, then why the sudden burst of pages describing parts of it?
And these parts are from april 2008 with a version of the
server from march 2008.

Somebody must be nurturing this project into life again :).

Regards,

Arjen

Larry W. Virden

Jun 9, 2008, 3:44:35 AM6/9/08
On Jun 9, 2:34 am, Arjen Markus <arjen.mar...@wldelft.nl> wrote:

> Hm, then why the sudden burst of pages describing parts of it?
> And these parts are from april 2008 with a version of the
> server from march 2008.
>
> Somebody must be nurturing this project into life again :).

The main changes I've seen relating to it are some hyper links to some
of the ns database pieces. Maybe someone is just gnoming some
relationships?

Arjen Markus

Jun 9, 2008, 5:46:32 AM6/9/08

Well, I check the SourceForge page and there are a bunch of
newly released files there ...

Regards,

Arjen

Larry W. Virden

Jun 9, 2008, 9:04:12 AM6/9/08
On Jun 9, 5:46 am, Arjen Markus <arjen.mar...@wldelft.nl> wrote:

> Well, I check the SourceForge page and there are a bunch of
> newly released files there ...

It's always great news when a package like this begins to show signs
of re-birth!

Donal K. Fellows

Jun 9, 2008, 9:14:42 AM6/9/08
Arjen Markus wrote:
> Hm, then why the sudden burst of pages describing parts of it?
> And these parts are from april 2008 with a version of the
> server from march 2008.
>
> Somebody must be nurturing this project into life again :).

It wasn't dead, it was just resting.

Donal (definitely not pining for the fjords though…)

Stephen

Jun 9, 2008, 10:58:24 AM6/9/08
On Jun 9, 2:48 am, vitic <vit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> NAVISERVER???? --- that thing is DEAD. Last update - 2006

Since Feb 4th 2006 (naviserver-4.99.1 release date) there have been an
additional 637 commits by 7 separate people.

193,374 total lines of churn (according to diffstat).

The 4th place committer touched 10,000 lines.

One new committer added in the last month.

(not counting the 80,000 lines of code in the 40+ modules)

> NO documentation

The sorted, revised, reformatted documentation:

http://naviserver.sourceforge.net/n/toc.html

The docs in need of some attention:

http://www.crystalballinc.com/vlad/software/naviserver/index.oss?&tab=docs

(It is a painful experience to document Tcl code. I personally would
have written at least twice as much if it wasn't so frustrating.)

> NO binaries

Too true.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=130646

4.99.2 hasn't been tagged and released as a tarball and the modules
are only available in a combined lump.

There is a recent snapshot binary release for Windows.

> NO forums/people talking about it

2,500 messages:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=naviserver-devel

(which is more than tclhttpd, for example, which hasn't seen a message
since last year)

> who knows if it works at all.

It's checked regularly on at least Linux, OSX., Solaris, and Windows.
Works great.

> It's screaming "STAY AWAY FROM ME" :) Unless you got tons of time to
> waste, of course. ;) Don't say you haven't been warned.

I think whatever it's screaming, unfortunately, is not too different
than much of the rest of the fragmented Tcl universe :-(

Stephen

Jun 9, 2008, 11:43:42 AM6/9/08
On Jun 9, 8:44 am, "Larry W. Virden" <lvir...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The main changes I've seen relating to it are some hyper links to some
> of the ns database pieces. Maybe someone is just gnoming some
> relationships?

The nsdbi stuff is new. It may be interesting to TDBC folks as good/
bad example for ideas.

For example, nsdbi uses names rather than handles, to be thread-
friendly. This seems much easier than TDBC in which you manage
connection handles, statement handles and result handles explicitly.

http://wiki.tcl.tk/14972