best tree widget

lora

Mar 11, 2009, 5:57:57 PM3/11/09
Hello all,

Bwidget has a tree widget and BLT has both hierbox and hiertable
widgets.

From your usage, which of these is the easiest and well documented
widget to use for tcl 8.4 ?

I need to pick one to display a hierarchical list and then later will
add menu pulldown to add new children nodes, etc. So I may need to
dynamically add nodes and add menus/buttons to the nodes.

we have code that uses hierbox, but wanted to check if there was a
better widget for my use.

I'm on version 8.4.

Thank you!

avsokol

Mar 12, 2009, 3:36:46 AM3/12/09
As for me, if possible, I prefer using BLT for tree widget. It is
powerfull, customizable and very good looking. In case BLT is not
available, I use BWidget. Both these widgets allow dynamically add/
delete/customize nodes and have rather good documentation. There is
also similar widget in Iwidgets, but I don't like it at all. So, my
preference sequence is BLT, BWidget, smth else.

--
Alexander

MSE...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2009, 4:54:31 AM3/12/09

I used BLT some time ago bbut as always BLT is very difficult to
distribute as an executable and only works with 8.4.
BWidget is very easy to use and very flexible and being in Pure TCL is
very portable. It is my current favorite Tree widget.
I also use TreeCntrl for an application needing more flexible visuals
(different fonts, multiple columns), this is a binary widget (can
handle big trees) but is TEA compatible, it is however probably the
most complicated treewidget to use and I use it as a last resort.
If you need good looks there is also the treeview widget from the tile
package (included in 8.5+ but very easy to use/distribute in 8.4), I
have not yet used it but there are many examples and it looks easy to
use.
So my preference sequence BWidget, treeview, treecntrl, BLT.

Martyn

hae

Mar 12, 2009, 7:59:12 AM3/12/09

Hello Lora,

the ttk::treeview is also suits your requirements. However for Tcl/TK
8.4 it is a separate package. But if you upgrade anytime it is in the
core.

Ruediger