Tatu, a http 1.1 embedded web server

rildo

Jan 25, 2011, 2:06:05 PM1/25/11
I have written a 250 line web server, fast, capable of handling http
1.1 pipelined requests, and also persistent connections (but not full
PUT, DELETE,... protocols yet).
You may find a demo kit with the code and several demos inside. Just
start it (with tclkit 8.5.1 or newer) and point your browser to
http://localhost:8000/. It was tested in Linux, with several
browsers: google-chrome, firefox 3.6, opera, and arora (a very light,
interesting client).

Comments and suggestions are welcomed. I plan still to write a router
for RESTful connections, and mapping code to databases (ORM) such as
SQLite, but running on the server side to avoid limitations (on the
maximum size, 5-10MB) required by the browsers.

Please, get your tatu.kit at http://pragana.net/ ( or simply "wget
http://pragana.net/tatu.kit" if you prefer not to read my personal
page!)

best regards,
Rildo Pragana

Evil Son

Jan 26, 2011, 4:41:31 AM1/26/11
On 26/01/2011 5:06 AM, rildo wrote:
> I have written a 250 line web server, fast, capable of handling http
> 1.1 pipelined requests, and also persistent connections (but not full
> PUT, DELETE,... protocols yet).

> Please, get your tatu.kit at http://pragana.net/ ( or simply "wget

Hi Rildo,

Will we be able to see the sources some time in the future or is this a
closed source project?

Some nice Tcl stuff on your site, by the way.

> Rildo Pragana

Regards
--
Evil Son

rildo

Jan 26, 2011, 7:08:26 AM1/26/11
On Jan 26, 6:41 am, Evil Son <ewilsonm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/01/2011 5:06 AM, rildo wrote:
>
> > I have written a 250 line web server, fast, capable of handling http
> > 1.1 pipelined requests, and also persistent connections (but not full
> > PUT, DELETE,... protocols yet).
>  > ...
> > Please, get your tatu.kit athttp://pragana.net/ ( or simply "wget

> Hi Rildo,
>
> Will we be able to see the sources some time in the future or is this a
> closed source project?
>
> Some nice Tcl stuff on your site, by the way.
>
> > Rildo Pragana
>
> Regards
> --
> Evil Son

Hi Evil,

Well, you already have the sources (inside the starkit), just "sdx
unwrap tatu.kit" and look for tatu.tcl in the created tatu.vfs
directory, under lib/tatu/.

As an aside, why is this your name? ...or do you live in hell? :-)

best regards,
Rildo

Evil Son

Jan 26, 2011, 8:03:32 AM1/26/11
On 26/01/2011 10:08 PM, rildo wrote:
> On Jan 26, 6:41 am, Evil Son<ewilsonm...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Will we be able to see the sources some time in the future or is this a
>> closed source project?

> Hi Evil,

> Well, you already have the sources (inside the starkit), just "sdx
> unwrap tatu.kit" and look for tatu.tcl in the created tatu.vfs
> directory, under lib/tatu/.

Wonderful! and thank you. I did not want to look inside the kit without
your permission. I definitely will be assessing this.

> As an aside, why is this your name? ...or do you live in hell? :-)

I live in Tcl Heaven :-)

I was so "named" by Uwe Klein (who is therefore my Evil Father ... in
the spiritual sense) on comp.lang.tcl. He noticed my email address was
curious and wondered if it was a friendly ruse. Here is a link:
http://wiki.tcl.tk/23317 .

I remain mostly humbly,
Uwe's Evil Son.

--
Evil Son
aka Edward Wilson ... or not ... ;-)

Uwe Klein

Jan 26, 2011, 8:24:20 AM1/26/11
Evil Son wrote:
> I remain mostly humbly,
> Uwe's Evil Son.

If The Wife and my kids knew this ;-)

uwe
hoping this does not develop into blowback.

rildo

Jan 26, 2011, 9:32:38 AM1/26/11

Okay, you have my permission. BTW, the tatu.kit is released as "Public
Domain" (no strings attached). The example code taken from others
(inside the kit as well) follow each specific licenses, but all of
them very liberal too.
So, grab your "sdx" tool and open that kit, fellow!!!

best regards,
Rildo

Sean

Jan 26, 2011, 9:37:13 AM1/26/11
On Jan 25, 2:06 pm, rildo <rprag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have written a 250 line web server, fast, capable of handling http
> 1.1 pipelined requests, and also persistent connections (but not full
> PUT, DELETE,... protocols yet).
> You may find a demo kit with the code and several demos inside. Just
> start it (with tclkit 8.5.1 or newer) and point your browser tohttp://localhost:8000/.  It was tested in Linux, with several

> browsers: google-chrome, firefox 3.6, opera, and arora (a very light,
> interesting client).
>
> Comments and suggestions are welcomed. I plan still to write a router
> for RESTful connections, and mapping code to databases (ORM) such as
> SQLite, but running on the server side to avoid limitations (on the
> maximum size, 5-10MB) required by the browsers.
>
> Please, get your tatu.kit athttp://pragana.net/ ( or simply "wgethttp://pragana.net/tatu.kit" if you prefer not to read my personal

> page!)
>
> best regards,
> Rildo Pragana

Rildo,

When I try to visit your site http://pragana.net/ it asks for a
username / password.

sph

rildo

Jan 26, 2011, 11:11:17 AM1/26/11

I'm sorry, but I live in Brazil, and many times the mains power goes
down! So, my server IP address changes, and it takes sometime to the
DNS database propagates itself to point to my new IP address. You may
just keep trying.

best regards,
Rildo

> When I try to visit your sitehttp://pragana.net/it asks for a
> username / password.
>
> sph

Donald Arseneau

Jan 26, 2011, 5:57:33 PM1/26/11
Evil Son <ewils...@gmail.com> writes:

> http://wiki.tcl.tk/23317 .
>
> I remain mostly humbly,
> Uwe's Evil Son.

I got a chuckle also from the syntax highlighting (and linking)
in the wiki quotation.

I presume Uwe's "w" is evil.

--
Donald Arseneau as...@triumf.ca

Uwe Klein

Jan 27, 2011, 4:19:41 AM1/27/11
Donald Arseneau wrote:
> Evil Son <ewils...@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>http://wiki.tcl.tk/23317 .
>>
>>I remain mostly humbly,
>>Uwe's Evil Son.
>

> I got a chuckle also from the syntax highlighting (and linking)
> in the wiki quotation.
>
> I presume Uwe's "w" is evil.

I don't anymore remember how I made that jump.
Either a typo helped or the way questions were asked.

<offtone whistling>
Always look at the bright side of life
</>

uwe

tomk

Jan 27, 2011, 5:35:17 PM1/27/11
On Jan 25, 12:06 pm, rildo <rprag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have written a 250 line web server, fast, capable of handling http
> 1.1 pipelined requests, and also persistent connections (but not full
> PUT, DELETE,... protocols yet).
> You may find a demo kit with the code and several demos inside. Just
> start it (with tclkit 8.5.1 or newer) and point your browser tohttp://localhost:8000/.  It was tested in Linux, with several

> browsers: google-chrome, firefox 3.6, opera, and arora (a very light,
> interesting client).
>
> Comments and suggestions are welcomed. I plan still to write a router
> for RESTful connections, and mapping code to databases (ORM) such as
> SQLite, but running on the server side to avoid limitations (on the
> maximum size, 5-10MB) required by the browsers.
>
> Please, get your tatu.kit athttp://pragana.net/ ( or simply "wgethttp://pragana.net/tatu.kit" if you prefer not to read my personal

> page!)
>
> best regards,
> Rildo Pragana

I just tried it on my Vista machine and it seemed to work ok after I
extended auto_path in the main.tcl file so it picked up my libraries.
It wasn't clear to me how you normally start a server.
Tom K.