[JAMLANG] - Comparative Evaluation - Draft Version

1 view

Ilias Lazaridis

Apr 17, 2005, 8:50:43 PM4/17/05
I am comparing several languages based on a fixed template.

you can conveniently fill a form with the code / information:

http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/index.html

if you are unclear about the template, you can use the ruby evaluation
as a reference:

http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/ruby/

[note: the ruby language hits on some limitations, thus the code is
incomplete]

.

--
http://lazaridis.com

Ilias Lazaridis

Apr 18, 2005, 10:35:36 PM4/18/05
Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
> I am comparing several languages based on a fixed template.
>
> you can conveniently fill a form with the code / information:
>
> http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/index.html

I've no submission till now.

an experienced tcl programmer can fill this in within 5 min.

I will format the submissions an publish them.

The results enables language evaluators to check tcl quickly.

Gerald W. Lester

Apr 18, 2005, 11:35:00 PM4/18/05
Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
> Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
>
>> I am comparing several languages based on a fixed template.
>>
>> you can conveniently fill a form with the code / information:
>>
>> http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/index.html
>

> I've no submission till now.
>
> an experienced tcl programmer can fill this in within 5 min.

The "template" makes assumptions that all languages are alike -- some of
them are just nonsense in Tcl and thus can not be stated in a way that
makes sense.

--
+--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Gerald W. Lester | "The man who fights for his ideals is |

Ilias Lazaridis

Apr 18, 2005, 11:43:37 PM4/18/05
Gerald W. Lester wrote:
> Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
>
>> Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
>>
>>> I am comparing several languages based on a fixed template.
>>>
>>> you can conveniently fill a form with the code / information:
>>>
>>> http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/index.html
>>
>> I've no submission till now.
>>
>> an experienced tcl programmer can fill this in within 5 min.
>
> The "template" makes assumptions that all languages are alike --

the object oriented ones are alike - and that languages are the targets
of the template.

does tcl not support OO programming?

> some of
> them are just nonsense in Tcl and thus can not be stated in a way that
> makes sense.

you can write e.g. : not applicable.

[I got e.g. a partial response for "php"]

.

--
http://lazaridis.com

Clemens Hintze

Apr 19, 2005, 1:36:43 AM4/19/05
In article <d41upa$4ft$1...@usenet.otenet.gr>, Ilias Lazaridis wrote:

(...)

>>> I've no submission till now.
>>>
>>> an experienced tcl programmer can fill this in within 5 min.
>>
>> The "template" makes assumptions that all languages are alike --
>
> the object oriented ones are alike - and that languages are the
> targets of the template.

If you mean that they have objects and send messages - yes, they are
alike. But if I declare a painting as some color smeared onto a
surface, then all paintings are alike too (and what about photos?) ...

> does tcl not support OO programming?

"More" than any other language I know so far ;-)

Choose one from that (not exhaustive) list: Snit, Odys, XOTcl, OTcl,
ITcl, BOOP, TOOT, STOOOP, LOST, OO2 ...

Okay, I feel boring now ... look for yourself at

http://wiki.tcl.tk/references/5886!

>> some of them are just nonsense in Tcl and thus can not be stated in
>> a way that makes sense.
>
> you can write e.g. : not applicable.

Depends of the OO system used, yes?

(...)

Best regards,
Clemens.

--
Clemens Hintze mailto: c.hintze (at) gmx.net

Ilias Lazaridis

Apr 19, 2005, 2:40:32 AM4/19/05
Clemens Hintze wrote:
> In article <d41upa$4ft$1...@usenet.otenet.gr>, Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
>
> (...)

>>>The "template" makes assumptions that all languages are alike --
>>
>>the object oriented ones are alike - and that languages are the
>>targets of the template.
>
> If you mean that they have objects and send messages - yes, they are
> alike.

I mean it for the current scope:

http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/index.html

> But if I declare a painting as some color smeared onto a
> surface, then all paintings are alike too (and what about photos?) ...
>
>>does tcl not support OO programming?
>
> "More" than any other language I know so far ;-)
>
> Choose one from that (not exhaustive) list: Snit, Odys, XOTcl, OTcl,
> ITcl, BOOP, TOOT, STOOOP, LOST, OO2 ...
>
> Okay, I feel boring now ... look for yourself at
>
> http://wiki.tcl.tk/references/5886!

It is meaningless to increase complexity for filling in a simple
templete, which contains things like

"create a class"

"add methods"

"add variables"

etc.

>>>some of them are just nonsense in Tcl and thus can not be stated in
>>>a way that makes sense.
>>
>>you can write e.g. : not applicable.
>
> Depends of the OO system used, yes?

has Tcl multiple OO systems?

if so, take the one of your choice an state it:

--
http://lazaridis.com

Ilias Lazaridis

Apr 19, 2005, 5:33:51 AM4/19/05
Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
> I am comparing several languages based on a fixed template.
>
> you can conveniently fill a form with the code / information:
>
> http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/index.html

I start to understand:

http://www.tcl.tk/cgi-bin/tct/tip/6.html

tcl has no standard OO model.

sad.

lvi...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2005, 7:40:31 AM4/19/05

According to Ilias Lazaridis <il...@lazaridis.com>:
:tcl has no standard OO model.
:
:sad.

A number of developers agree. However, many others find the
fact that Tcl does not lock them into a single OO model freeing,
whereas java, ruby, python, etc. developers are stuck forcing
square pegs into round holes...

Andreas Leitgeb

Apr 19, 2005, 8:31:55 AM4/19/05
lvi...@gmail.com <lvi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> According to Ilias Lazaridis <il...@lazaridis.com>:
>:tcl has no standard OO model.
>:sad.
> A number of developers agree. However, many others find the
> fact that Tcl does not lock them into a single OO model freeing,
> whereas java, ruby, python, etc. developers are stuck forcing
> square pegs into round holes...

Most of them will tell you, that outside of academical
circles, square pegs have gone mostly extinct, their
previous space now entirely taken by round pegs ...

Donal K. Fellows

Apr 19, 2005, 11:45:29 AM4/19/05
Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
> I start to understand:
> http://www.tcl.tk/cgi-bin/tct/tip/6.html
> tcl has no standard OO model.
> sad.

Yep. But we're in the middle of a break between OO model flaming right
now, so let's keep quiet about it. At least for the rest of this week...

Donal.

David N. Welton

Apr 19, 2005, 2:58:20 PM4/19/05
Joe English <@> writes:

> I HEREBY DECLARE: That the One True Standard Object System for Tcl
> Shall Henceforth Be ...

> (OK, so it's 19 days late ...)

1900 days?

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Apache, Linux, Tcl Consulting
- http://www.dedasys.com/

Ilias Lazaridis

Apr 19, 2005, 8:55:31 PM4/19/05
lvi...@gmail.com wrote:
> According to Ilias Lazaridis <il...@lazaridis.com>:
> :tcl has no standard OO model.
> :
> :sad.
>
> A number of developers agree. However, many others find the
> fact that Tcl does not lock them into a single OO model freeing,
> whereas java, ruby, python, etc. developers are stuck forcing
> square pegs into round holes...

By honest and rational rating, this community should be able to say:

"x" is the most standard OO system for TCL.

I mean, you are intrested to get new users, aren't you?

Please give me an idea of how OO looks within TCL, thus I can place it
into the comparison.

I mean, I can place multiple TCL-OO's there, too.

http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/index.html

.

--
http://lazaridis.com

Bob Techentin

Apr 20, 2005, 9:54:38 AM4/20/05
"Joe English" <@> wrote

> I HEREBY DECLARE: That the One True Standard
> Object System for Tcl Shall Henceforth Be ...
>
> ... SNIT.
>
> I Have Spoken.

Wow! Thanks for taking care of that, Joe. We've all been waiting a
long time.

(And I thought they were figuring out the Pope thing in Rome...)
:-)

Bob
--
Bob Techentin techenti...@NOSPAMmayo.edu
Mayo Foundation (507) 538-5495

Larry Smith

Apr 20, 2005, 2:13:48 PM4/20/05
Bob Techentin wrote:
> "Joe English" <@> wrote
>
>>I HEREBY DECLARE: That the One True Standard
>>Object System for Tcl Shall Henceforth Be ...
>>
>>... SNIT.
>>
>>I Have Spoken.
>
> Wow! Thanks for taking care of that, Joe.

Gee - someone actually threw a snit in the tcl newsgroup... =)

--
.-. .-. .---. .---. .-..-.|Experts in Linux/Unix: www.WildOpenSource.com
| |__ / | \| |-< | |-< > / |"Making the bazaar more commonplace"
`----'`-^-'`-'`-'`-'`-' `-' |Check out my new novel: "Cloud Realm" at:
home:www.smith-house.org:8000|http://www.smith-house.org:8000/books/list.html

Ilias Lazaridis

Apr 28, 2005, 11:29:23 AM4/28/05

really none to post a reply?

Bryan Schofield

Apr 28, 2005, 12:06:26 PM4/28/05
No! The One True Standard Object System for Tcl shall henceforth be....

[incr XOooSnit]

Sphew problem solved!