ANNOUNCE: Woof! V0.1 released

APN

May 1, 2009, 11:34:21 AM5/1/09
Version 0.1 of Woof! - Web Oriented Object Framework - has been
released.

What is Woof!
-------------

Woof! - Web Oriented Object Framework - is an
open-source, platform and server-independent, web
application framework written in the Tcl
programming language. It is intended to be easy to
install and deploy, simple to understand and
customize, and embeddable into other applications.

Release Notes
-------------

This is the first public release of Woof! and is
intended to allow people to try out Woof! and
provide early feedback.

Although Woof! is multi-platform and supports
multiple web servers, this release only includes a
self-contained 2MB Windows executable that allows
people to quickly try out Woof! without requiring
a separate installation of a web server or
Tcl. The executable includes the tclhttpd-based
BowWow web server with embedded Woof! components.

Getting started
---------------

- Download the BowWow server from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=250256
- Follow the instructions in the Woof! Quick Start Guide at
http://woof.magicsplat.com/woof_guide/quick_start

/Ashok

jeff_g...@pobox.com

May 4, 2009, 9:56:04 AM5/4/09
On May 1, 10:34 am, APN <palm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Version 0.1 of Woof! - Web Oriented Object Framework - has been
> released.
Ashok,

Congrats on the 0.1 release of Woof!. While I had very little free
time over the weekend, I was able to work part way through your Quick
Start guide. In that short amount of time, I was impressed with what
I saw.

With any luck, I'll get some more time to play with it in the near
future - I have a personal project in mind... ;^)

Anyway, Woof! looks like a great start on a much-needed web framework
for Tcl. Thanks for your efforts.

Jeff

APN

May 5, 2009, 8:05:15 AM5/5/09
Jeff,

As you try it, any suggestions to make the whole process of trying out
Woof as simple as possible would be appreciated (of course, in
addition to suggestions for Woof! itself).

I have this strong belief that it is critical that software be
absolutely quick and simple for folks to try out if you want it to
become widely used. That includes streamlining the install, tutorial
and docs, preconfigured templates or whatever. So any suggestions to
make that happen are welcome.

/Ashok

jeff_g...@pobox.com

May 5, 2009, 10:39:39 AM5/5/09
On May 5, 7:05 am, APN <palm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> As you try it, any suggestions to make the whole process of trying outWoofas simple as possible would be appreciated (of course, in

> addition to suggestions forWoof! itself).

Ashok,

I wasn't sure whether you (or Woof!) were ready for User feedback
yet. I know that getting User-level input too early in the
development cycle isn't very helpful. Anyway, I do remember finding a
few rough edges in the QS guide when I followed through the examples
over the weekend. I didn't note those at the time, but I'll see if I
can find them again.

Do you want input posted here, or do you prefer a different method?

Jeff

APN

May 5, 2009, 12:07:19 PM5/5/09
Either here or in the sourceforge tracker is fine. Tx