Gambit REPL app for iPhone/iPod touch/iPad

Marc Feeley

May 18, 2011, 9:44:22 AM5/18/11
A version of the Gambit Scheme system for iPhone/iPod touch/iPad is
now available on the Apple App Store:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gambit-repl/id434534076?mt=8&ls=1

"Gambit REPL" is a complete version of Gambit including the
interpreter, debugger and built-in library (but not the compiler).
The standard REPL is provided and also a script editor. Scripts can
be saved, attached to function keys, and the "main" function of the
application can be redefined to customize the application to your
needs. Applications can be debugged remotely by telneting to the
device from a desktop machine.

The application is sold for $0.99 as a demonstration that you can
distribute on the App Store paid applications written in Scheme and
containing an interpreter, something that wasn't clear with previous
versions of the App Store developer agreement.

A version of Gambit REPL for Android is not planned (by me). The
Gambit Scheme system compiles fine on Android (for example see
https://github.com/seoushi/gambit-android-example), but the user
interface layer would have to be changed and tested, and I don't own
an Android device. If someone wants to try porting Gambit REPL to
Android let me know and I can help. The sources of Gambit REPL for
iOS are in the examples/iOS subdirectory of the Gambit source
distribution.

Marc

toby

May 20, 2011, 10:02:39 PM5/20/11
Is there a reason for the iOS 4 dependency?

Marc Feeley

May 22, 2011, 6:33:13 PM5/22/11
On May 20, 10:02 pm, toby <t...@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
> Is there a reason for the iOS 4 dependency?

I don't have access to an iPhone running iOS 3, so I can't test the
program to see if it works. I'm not sure what is the best approach to
lower the dependency. What do other iPhone developers do?

Marc

Hans Aberg

May 23, 2011, 2:50:14 PM5/23/11

On Mac OS X, one sets a flag: the link
http://macosx.com/topics/dyld.html
suggested (it seems old) one should link using
g++ -Wl,-macosx_version_min,10.5

Hans