ANN: Scheme 9 Book, New Edition!

Nils M Holm

Oct 10, 2010, 5:08:56 AM10/10/10

I am happy to announce that the second edition of my
best-selling book,

Scheme 9 from Empty Space
A Guide to Implementing Scheme in C

is now available and can be purchased at lulu.com.
See the home page for details:

http://www.t3x.org/s9/

*** Everyone who orders a print or PDF copy during ***
*** October 2010 can request a free HTML copy. Just ***
*** mail me a proof of purchase. ***

The 247-page textbook contains a guided tour through
the complete S9fES Scheme interpreter source code:
about 6600 lines of C and 1300 lines of Scheme, heavily
annotated and illustrated with 31 figures. Topics covered
in the text include:

- expression evaluation
- constant-space garbage collection
- macro expansion (both high- and low-level)
- bignum integer arithmetics
- decimal-based floating point arithmetics
- lexical vs. dynamic scoping
- tail call eliminiation
- continuations

and much more...

If you want to have a look behind the scenes of a Scheme
(or LISP) interpreter, this is the right book for you.

The second edition is rewritten from the scratch. It adds
continuations, real-number arithmetics, low-level macro
expansion and -- as a bonus -- pattern matching. It has
also a much more bad-ass looking cover image.

--
Nils M Holm | http://t3x.org

Benjamin L. Russell

Nov 29, 2010, 9:33:15 PM11/29/10
Nils M Holm <news...@t3x.org> writes:

> It has
> also a much more bad-ass looking cover image.

What is being depicted in the image on the cover?

-- Benjamin L. Russell
--
Benjamin L. Russell / DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/

Nils M Holm

Nov 30, 2010, 2:08:15 AM11/30/10
Benjamin L. Russell <DekuDe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Nils M Holm <news...@t3x.org> writes:
> > It has
> > also a much more bad-ass looking cover image.
>
> What is being depicted in the image on the cover?

Some science fiction lifeform. Before I started a failing
career as a computer guy, I built scifi models. The cover
shows one of them. BTW, the image was not altered digitally
except for stretching contrast and trimming the edges.