DreamOS: Operating system written in Scheme

Eduardo Cavazos

Apr 14, 2009, 10:10:03 AM4/14/09
Hello,

Dream is an R4RS Scheme interpreter written in assembly language by
David Joseph Stith:

http://www.stripedgazelle.org/joey/dream.html

He wrote a small operating system based on Dream:

http://www.stripedgazelle.org/joey/dreamos.html

I was able to boot it using 'bochs'. Once booted I "mounted" the
floppy and was able to list the files on there. It comes with a vi-
like text editor. Here's a screenshot of DreamOS running in bochs.
I've got the editor open on the svga driver:

http://proteus.freeshell.org/dreamos-2009-04-14.png

Recompiling the OS is as simple as:

dream make_image.scm

There's also an SVGA mode available.

Both Dream and DreamOS look to be under active development; sources of
both were updated just a few days ago.

Very cool project...

Ed

Grant Rettke

Apr 14, 2009, 10:51:42 AM4/14/09
Thanks for posting.

namekuseijin

Apr 14, 2009, 12:56:48 PM4/14/09
On Apr 14, 11:10 am, Eduardo Cavazos <wayo.cava...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dream is an R4RS Scheme interpreter written in assembly language by
> David Joseph Stith:
>
>    http://www.stripedgazelle.org/joey/dream.html
>
> He wrote a small operating system based on Dream:
>
>    http://www.stripedgazelle.org/joey/dreamos.html
>
>    http://proteus.freeshell.org/dreamos-2009-04-14.png
>
> Recompiling the OS is as simple as:
>
>     dream make_image.scm
>
> There's also an SVGA mode available.
>
> Very cool project...

Agreed! :)

It's also amazing how many projects still use R4RS. Looks like it was
damn good for the time and still sounds like pure minimalist Scheme
glory.

kj02...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2013, 11:33:11 AM9/30/13
在 2009年4月14日星期二UTC+8下午10时10分03秒,Eduardo Cavazos写道:

how to download DreamOS ? open source?

gavino_learning

Oct 5, 2013, 7:28:54 PM10/5/13
when will it run firefox? on a amd64 pc?

dmyt...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2013, 1:00:52 PM10/29/13
Is it still alive? I think it's a truly amazing project and it's very sad the link is not valid anymore (I have a copy of the source on my hard drive though). Also, I've been trying to find more mentions about it on the internet and have not found anything.

guozhu

Nov 4, 2013, 5:14:44 AM11/4/13
在 2013年10月30日星期三UTC+8上午1时00分52秒,dmyt...@gmail.com写道:
hope someone can push it to github

gavino_learning

Nov 16, 2013, 11:43:14 AM11/16/13
very cool!!!

I wonder how far it is from running firefox ona amd64 box?

Are there any projects that start with web browser and try to have just enuf os under to run, have network, and save files?

Nemo

Jan 6, 2014, 1:40:59 PM1/6/14
On 10/29/13 13:00, dmyt...@gmail.com wrote (in part):

>> http://www.stripedgazelle.org/joey/dreamos.html

> [...] it's very sad the link is not valid anymore

Archived at the Wayback Machine.

benjami...@aurora-schools.org

Jan 12, 2017, 8:33:54 PM1/12/17
Anyone have a copy of the latest (~2012) Dream interpreter? Wayback Machine archived the OS, but the interpreter (even all the old ones) just give me zero-byte empty tarballs or an HTTP redirection. I'd really like to see what I can do with this? Anything?

polymorph self

Feb 20, 2017, 7:10:20 PM2/20/17
run on amd64? have a web browser?

contac...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2017, 10:40:26 AM6/18/17
On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 5:33:54 PM UTC-8, benjami...@aurora-schools.org wrote:
> Anyone have a copy of the latest (~2012) Dream interpreter? Wayback Machine archived the OS, but the interpreter (even all the old ones) just give me zero-byte empty tarballs or an HTTP redirection. I'd really like to see what I can do with this? Anything?

I found a copy of the latest Dream interpreter and uploaded it to GitHub:

https://github.com/DanDLee/DreamScheme

polymorph self

Jun 18, 2017, 1:06:41 PM6/18/17
working web browser?