Announcing LambdaBeans 1.0 RC

aschemer

Apr 13, 2009, 3:41:40 AM4/13/09
Hi all,

I've just released LambdaBeans 1.0 Release Candidate, and IDE for
Scheme built
on top of the NetBeans Platform.

LambdaBeans is being built on OpenSolaris, but should run on Windows,
Linux,
Mac OSX and other platforms supporting Java 1.6.

Features include:

- Includes SISC and Kawa.
- Includes SLIB 3b1.
- Supports SISC, Kawa, SCM, Guile, Gauche and Gambit.
- Embedded REPL with history (arrow up/arrow down).
- R5RS and SLIB help.
- Syntax highlighting.
- R5RS Autocompletion.
- Scheme definitions navigation.
- Scheme definitions autocompletion.
- Integrates with CVS/Subversion/Mercurial.
- Preliminar indentation of source code (not beautifiers yet,
though)

Links:

- http://www.lambdabeans.org
A blog about LambdaBeans
- http://kenai.com/projects/lambdabeans
Main project page (issue tracking/sources/downloads/mailing lists)

How to install:

1.0 Release Candidate does not include an installer, so you
should download and unzip the binary.

Then you should make sure you have a Java 1.6 runtime on your path.

And them open the lambdabeans/bin folder and execute the binary for
your platform there (shell or exe).

There're some rough edges in LambdaBeans 1.0 RC, so I'd appreciate any
issue reports at Kenai.

Happy Scheming,
Antonio

namekuseijin

Apr 13, 2009, 10:57:14 AM4/13/09
Hey, that was unexpected! O_o

And it looks damn good to be true! How can something of this caliber
remain hidden from public scrutinity for this long? :)

I'll try it sometime when I get back home...

aschemer

Apr 13, 2009, 11:51:11 AM4/13/09

Thanks! Well, I just announced it yesterday... :-D

Let me know how it goes and if you need any help trying it out.

Cheers,
Antonio

alex

Apr 13, 2009, 8:56:33 PM4/13/09

This looks very nice. However, I'm having trouble getting it to run
under MacOS 10.5.6. I've installed Java 1.6, but can't seem to get
lambdabeans to use it - its still seeing Java 1.5. Any Mac users out
there have any suggestions?

thanks!
Alex

alex

Apr 13, 2009, 9:09:40 PM4/13/09

Oops, just found the solution myself.

In case anyone else is trying this, the config file lambdabeans/etc/
lambdabeans.conf has a "jdkhome" entry, setting this to
jdkhome="/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/
Home"
does the trick.

Alex

trh

Apr 14, 2009, 8:10:03 AM4/14/09
I got this error, when I try to run ... any idea ?

java.util.MissingResourceException: No such bundle
org.netbeans.core.startup.Bundle
at org.openide.util.NbBundle.getBundle(NbBundle.java:440)
at org.openide.util.NbBundle.getBundle(NbBundle.java:388)
at org.openide.util.NbBundle.getMessage(NbBundle.java:631)
at org.openide.util.NbBundle.getMessage(NbBundle.java:698)
at org.openide.util.NbBundle.getMessage(NbBundle.java:647)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.TopLogging.printSystemInfo
(TopLogging.java:235)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.TopLogging.initialize(TopLogging.java:
205)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.TopLogging.initialize(TopLogging.java:
179)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.CLIOptions.initialize(CLIOptions.java:
225)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.Main.start(Main.java:237)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.TopThreadGroup.run(TopThreadGroup.java:
110)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: Offending classloader: org.netbeans.MainImpl
$BootClassLoader@137bd6a1

Taylor Venable

Apr 14, 2009, 8:18:41 AM4/14/09

Same here. Before this the java command's help message gets dumped.
Platform for me is OpenBSD 4.5 running with this Java:

699 [ taylor @ zeltennia ] : ~/tmp/lambdabeans > java -version
openjdk version "1.7.0-internal"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0-internal-naddy_2009_03_03_06_19-b00)
OpenJDK Client VM (build 14.0-b10, mixed mode)

--
Taylor Christopher Venable
http://real.metasyntax.net:2357/

AndrewW

Apr 14, 2009, 10:10:08 AM4/14/09
Hi Antonio,

It looks good so far and is easier to install than SchemeScript on
Eclipse.

One thing that I can't work out is how to quickly send an expression
to my open REPL window. On SchemeScript, you select the expression and
hit ctrl-enter and the expression evaluates in your open Scheme
window. In LambdaBeans I can right click and select evaluate in Gambit
but that opens a new Gambit process so I lose all of my previously
evaluated expressions. Also it seems to send the entire file rather
than just the expression that I'm working on.

Is there a way to send the currently highlighted expression to the
currently open Scheme window without copying and pasting ?

Thanks

Andrew

aschemer

Apr 14, 2009, 12:28:59 PM4/14/09
Hi Andrew

(I think I replied to you directly instead of posting in the group, so
I'm replying again).

LambdaBeans supports different REPLs, so it's difficult to know which
REPL you're targetting when hitting Ctrl+Enter. I think the reasonable
thing is to send the selected text to the *active* REPL. This is a
good feature that I'd like to add to LambdaBeans 1.0

Meanwhile I suggest:

1.- Copy-paste
2.- Drag-and-drop text onto the REPL (yeah, this requires the mouse)
3.- Using Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down in the REPL to go back/forward in the
history of commands.

Thanks,
Antonio

aschemer

Apr 14, 2009, 12:40:17 PM4/14/09
On 14 abr, 14:18, Taylor Venable <tay...@metasyntax.net> wrote:

> Same here.  Before this the java command's help message gets dumped.
> Platform for me is OpenBSD 4.5 running with this Java:
>
>  699 [ taylor @ zeltennia ] : ~/tmp/lambdabeans > java -version
> openjdk version "1.7.0-internal"
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0-internal-naddy_2009_03_03_06_19-b00)
> OpenJDK Client VM (build 14.0-b10, mixed mode)
>
> --
> Taylor Christopher Venablehttp://real.metasyntax.net:2357/

Hi Taylor,

LambdaBeans doesn't support JDK 1.7/openjdk 1.7.0 yet. It will as soon
as NetBeans supports it, usually a little later than JDK 1.7/Open JDK
1.7.0 is officially released.

All I can suggest meanwhile is trying to use JDK 1.6. I'll try to see
if I can recompile LambdaBeans to use JDK 1.5 and JDK 1.6 for the
upcomping LambdaBeans 1.0 release.

Cheers,
Antonio

Mr.Cat

Apr 14, 2009, 1:52:32 PM4/14/09
>   - Supports SISC, Kawa, SCM, Guile, Gauche and Gambit.
FAQ also says about mzscheme: http://kenai.com/projects/lambdabeans/pages/LambdaBeansFAQInteprreters.
Is that true? Also, is support for chicken scheme planned?

aschemer

Apr 14, 2009, 3:20:01 PM4/14/09

D'oh, that should read Gauche Scheme instead of MzScheme. Thanks for
the tip, I've modified the FAQ.

Adding new Scheme implementations is not very difficult, so support
for chicken could be done for the next 1.0 release, depending on user
requests (enhancements @ Kenai issue tracking).

Cheers,
Antonio

trh

Apr 14, 2009, 11:21:01 PM4/14/09
> LambdaBeans doesn't support JDK 1.7/openjdk 1.7.0 yet. It will as soon
> as NetBeans supports it, usually a little later than JDK 1.7/Open JDK
> 1.7.0 is officially released.
>
> All I can suggest meanwhile is trying to use JDK 1.6. I'll try to see
> if I can recompile LambdaBeans to use JDK 1.5 and JDK 1.6 for the
> upcomping LambdaBeans 1.0 release.

Umm, I am using jdk 1.6 on ubuntu (64) .. It also doesn't work for
me ...

java version "1.6.0_13"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.3-b02, mixed mode)

Mr.Cat

Apr 26, 2009, 5:18:53 PM4/26/09
On Apr 15, 7:21 am, trh <thurahlain...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Umm, I am using jdk 1.6 on ubuntu (64) .. It also doesn't work for
> me ...
>
> java version "1.6.0_13"
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.3-b02, mixed mode)

Same for me on 64-bit archlinux

namekuseijin

Apr 26, 2009, 6:43:55 PM4/26/09

Me too. Actually, I just downloaded installed jdk 1.6 and the current
Netbeans version to try this out. Bummer. :P

namekuseijin@nameku:~/Documents/lambdabeans$ ./bin/lambdabeans

java.util.MissingResourceException: No such bundle
org.netbeans.core.startup.Bundle
at org.openide.util.NbBundle.getBundle(NbBundle.java:440)
at org.openide.util.NbBundle.getBundle(NbBundle.java:388)
at org.openide.util.NbBundle.getMessage(NbBundle.java:631)
at org.openide.util.NbBundle.getMessage(NbBundle.java:698)
at org.openide.util.NbBundle.getMessage(NbBundle.java:647)
at

org.netbeans.core.startup.TopLogging.printSystemInfo(TopLogging.java:235)

at org.netbeans.core.startup.TopLogging.initialize(TopLogging.java:205)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.TopLogging.initialize(TopLogging.java:179)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.CLIOptions.initialize(CLIOptions.java:225)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.Main.start(Main.java:237)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.TopThreadGroup.run(TopThreadGroup.java:110)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: Offending classloader:

org.netbeans.MainImpl$BootClassLoader@18ee9d6

OTOH, although the language sucks, I have to say the amount of good tech
related to the platform is amazing. I wish to try some Swing
programming with Kawa or SISC. :)

Last but not least, the IDE is fantastic and runs smooth on a Quad Core.
Java got better with age, just like Wine. ;)

fujita-y

Apr 27, 2009, 3:28:33 AM4/27/09
LambdaBeans working on my Ubuntu 9.04. Wow, It looks very nice!
Do you have any plan to support generic interpreter in LambdaBeans?
I'm now using Gauche for evaluation, but I want to use Ypsilon too. :)

Yoshikatsu Fujita (Ypsilon developer)

aschemer

Apr 27, 2009, 5:42:25 PM4/27/09

Hi Yoshikatsu,

I'll add a generic interpreter in the next release. I'm currently
adding support for Chicken Scheme.

BTW, any plans to add support for OpenSolaris/Linux in your ypsilon
implementation? I do want to use Ypsilon too! ;-)

Cheers,
Antonio

Eduardo Cavazos

Apr 27, 2009, 6:19:15 PM4/27/09
On Apr 27, 4:42 pm, aschemer <vie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, any plans to add support for OpenSolaris/Linux in your ypsilon
> implementation? I do want to use Ypsilon too! ;-)

Hello,

Ypsilon runs on Linux.

Ed

aschemer

Apr 28, 2009, 1:34:54 AM4/28/09

D'oh! That's good news! I'll try to take another look at it and see if
I can have it running in OpenSolaris.

Thanks!
Antonio

fujita-y

Apr 28, 2009, 10:00:07 AM4/28/09
Hi Antonio,

> I'll add a generic interpreter in the next release. I'm currently
> adding support for Chicken Scheme.

That's great news!!

> BTW, any plans to add support for OpenSolaris/Linux in your ypsilon
> implementation? I do want to use Ypsilon too! ;-)

As Eduardo mentioned, Ypsilon supports Linux(32bit/64bit) as well as
Windows(32bit). However, I'm not sure about OpenSolaris. I will try to
install it on my machine. :)

Thank you!
-- fujita

aschemer

Apr 28, 2009, 1:44:19 PM4/28/09
On 28 abr, 16:00, fujita-y <y.fujita....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Antonio,
> [...]

> As Eduardo mentioned, Ypsilon supports Linux(32bit/64bit) as well as
> Windows(32bit). However, I'm not sure about OpenSolaris. I will try to
> install it on my machine. :)
>
> Thank you!
> -- fujita

Now, *that* is great news!! ;-)

Thanks,
Antonio

fujita-y

May 1, 2009, 5:00:14 AM5/1/09
I have ported Ypsilon to OpenSolaris(32bit/64bit).
Please try svn revision 439. Thank you. :)
http://code.google.com/p/ypsilon/

-- fujita

aschemer

May 2, 2009, 5:25:54 AM5/2/09
... and it works perfect!!

Thank you very much for this!!

Count on ypsilon support for the next release of LambdaBeans
(LambdaBeans 1.0), due in the middle of may.

Thanks again,
Antonio

On May 1, 11:00 am, fujita-y <y.fujita....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have ported Ypsilon to OpenSolaris(32bit/64bit).

> Please try svn revision 439. Thank you. :)http://code.google.com/p/ypsilon/

fujita-y

May 2, 2009, 11:03:31 AM5/2/09
> Count on ypsilon support for the next release of LambdaBeans
> (LambdaBeans 1.0), due in the middle of may.
That's GREAT!!! Thank you! :)
--fujita