Ruby headers and OS X 10.4.3 & XCode 2.2

Eric Hankinson

Nov 12, 2005, 2:55:30 PM11/12/05
In addition to the problems that fixrbconfig doesn't cover, I just
noticed something that I'm not sure how to fix (I'm a ruby newb). I
don't know if this is either due to the version of XCode that I have
(most likely) or that I'm also running 10.4.3. The various ruby header
files for building gems are no longer in
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.0/ I guess due to the addition of
Intel compatibility, they're now located in:
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin8.0/ What do I need to change in
rbconfig.rb in order to be able to build gems & such?

Matthew Smillie

Nov 12, 2005, 3:46:54 PM11/12/05

I haven't tried this out, but I have a hunch that by reinstalling
rubygems as follows:

$ ruby setup.rb config --stdruby=/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin8.0

Since I haven't done this (and don't have XCode 2.2 to test it), I'll
mention that I'm guessing based on "ruby setup.rb --help config" If
that doesn't work (and it looks like it might make some things a
little odd) I'd try just making a symbolic link.

matthew smillie.

cou...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2005, 2:40:23 AM11/13/05
A quick fix to that problem (atleast worked for me on a simple
extension) was to link the headers from universal-darwin8.0 into
powerpc-darwin8.0

cd /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.0
sudo ln -s ../universal-darwin8.0/* ./

Then my extension compiled just fine.

Tyler

Vlad GALU

Nov 13, 2005, 7:55:26 AM11/13/05

If it's there, and you can see it, it's real.
If it's not there, and you can see it, it's virtual.
If it's there, and you can't see it, it's transparent.
If it's not there, and you can't see it, you erased it.

bill.b...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2005, 10:46:34 AM11/22/05
The link farm option is extremely distasteful since I fear it will
break other uses of C headers for other projects. I tried the
--stdruby approach (I'm trying to get the mysql gem installed) but no
joy.