[ANN] a library versioning package

ahoward

Mar 14, 2003, 6:25:36 PM3/14/03

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=library

this is my stab at library versioning. it allows one to require libraries
supporting a particular interface along the lines of gnu libtool's versioning
system.

it's experimental at the momment. comments welcome/requested.

-a

--
====================================
| Ara Howard
| NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory
| Information and Technology Services
| Data Systems Group
| R/FST 325 Broadway
| Boulder, CO 80305-3328
| Email: aho...@fsl.noaa.gov
| Phone: 303-497-7238
| Fax: 303-497-7259
====================================

Daniel Carrera

Mar 14, 2003, 6:50:26 PM3/14/03
The link at RAA is broken. When you try to go to go to:
http://eli/lib/ruby/library/library-0.0.0/doc/

It, instead, takes you to:
http://search.netscape.com/nscp_results.adp?query=eli&source=NSCPRedirect

Thank you for doing this work. This functionality would be quite useful.

--
Daniel Carrera
Graduate Teaching Assistant. Math Dept.

ahoward

Mar 14, 2003, 7:15:59 PM3/14/03
On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Daniel Carrera wrote:

> The link at RAA is broken. When you try to go to go to:
> http://eli/lib/ruby/library/library-0.0.0/doc/
>
> It, instead, takes you to:
> http://search.netscape.com/nscp_results.adp?query=eli&source=NSCPRedirect
>
> Thank you for doing this work. This functionality would be quite useful.

;-) long week.

the links from

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=library

are correct now.

they should take you to

http://eli.fsl.noaa.gov/lib/ruby/library/library-0.0.0/doc/

and

http://eli.fsl.noaa.gov/lib/ruby/library/

respectively.

i assure everyone i tested the code more than the links!

-a

SugHimsi

Mar 14, 2003, 8:04:23 PM3/14/03
On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 08:43:10 +0900, ahoward wrote:

: http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=library

:
: this is my stab at library versioning.

I'm afraid I'm not humble enough, but isn't its name
too rough -- or at least, too general?
--
SugHimsi

"I'm paying attention how to reduce our mental stress
in programming activity." (matz, Mar. 2003)

ahoward

Mar 14, 2003, 8:46:38 PM3/14/03
to SugHimsi
On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, SugHimsi wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 08:43:10 +0900, ahoward wrote:
>
> : http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=library
> :
> : this is my stab at library versioning.
>
> I'm afraid I'm not humble enough, but isn't its name
> too rough -- or at least, too general?

;-)

yes, i though of that. but if you look into the sources the Library class is
mostly a namespace. Library::Version, which is 70% of the package, is not too
general; an neither is Library::Loader. at first, Library was a module but
i didn't like that because :

a) people can include it, polluting their namespace
b) i envision 'other' library related stuff, perhaps even methods dealing
with libraries themselves (imagine that) going into this class. for
instance i could envsion Library::Installer, Library::Dependancy, etc.

does that make any sense?