Doubt

ജഗന്നാഥ്

Jul 23, 2008, 10:51:17 AM7/23/08
Friends

I am a Perl programmer new to Python. I have a small doubt.
How to convert the perl notation
$a = ""; expression in Python ?

How to represent the loop
for ($a = $b; $a<=$c;$a++){
} in Python

Jagan
Linguist

Guilherme Polo

Jul 23, 2008, 11:07:33 AM7/23/08
to ജഗന്നാഥ്, pytho...@python.org
On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:51 AM, ജഗന്നാഥ് <jaga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Friends
>
> I am a Perl programmer new to Python. I have a small doubt.
> How to convert the perl notation
> $a = ""; expression in Python ?

a = ""

> How to represent the loop
> for ($a = $b; $a<=$c;$a++){
> } in Python

for a in range(b, c + 1): pass

> Jagan
> Linguist
> --

-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves

Sean DiZazzo

Jul 23, 2008, 3:22:42 PM7/23/08

On most occasions you don't need to use the incrementing loop
behavior. Lists are the main data structure comparable to an array,
and you can iterate over them without using a counter. If you have:

aList = [1, 2, 3]

you can do

for item in aList:
print item

Hope this helps.

~Sean

Paddy

Jul 23, 2008, 3:56:35 PM7/23/08

This might help you generally:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PerlPhrasebook

- Paddy.

Fredrik Lundh

Jul 23, 2008, 4:13:32 PM7/23/08
to pytho...@python.org
ജഗന്നാഥ് wrote:

> I am a Perl programmer new to Python. I have a small doubt.

I suspect you mean "question", not "doubt". It's not quite the same thing.

> How to convert the perl notation
> $a = ""; expression in Python ?
>
> How to represent the loop
> for ($a = $b; $a<=$c;$a++){
> } in Python

Start here:

http://www.lucasmanual.com/mywiki/PerlPythonPhrasebook

and then read either of these (preferably both):

http://www.swaroopch.com/byteofpython/
http://docs.python.org/tut/

</F>

ജഗന്നാഥ്

Jul 24, 2008, 1:57:51 AM7/24/08
On Jul 24, 1:13 am, Fredrik Lundh <fred...@pythonware.com> wrote:
> ജഗന്നാഥ് wrote:
> > I am a Perl programmer new to Python. I have a small doubt.
>
> I suspect you mean "question", not "doubt". It's not quite the same thing.
>
> > How to convert the perl notation
> > $a = ""; expression in Python ?

Thank you for all to giving suggestions .

With regards

Jaganadh G

Diez B. Roggisch

Jul 24, 2008, 9:19:09 AM7/24/08
Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> ജഗന്നാഥ് wrote:
>
>> I am a Perl programmer new to Python. I have a small doubt.
>
> I suspect you mean "question", not "doubt". It's not quite the same
> thing.

It seems to be an Indian/Asian thing. By now, I tuned myself to read "doubt"
as "question/problem"...

Diez

Tobiah

Jul 24, 2008, 2:46:49 PM7/24/08

>> How to convert the perl notation
>> $a = ""; expression in Python ?

a = ""

>> How to represent the loop
>> for ($a = $b; $a<=$c;$a++){
>>
>> } in Python

for a in range(b, c + 1):
do_something()

Michael Torrie

Jul 25, 2008, 1:37:50 AM7/25/08
to pytho...@python.org
You wrote:
> How to represent the loop
> for ($a = $b; $a<=$c;$a++){
> } in Python

As other pointed out, iterating through a list or range is often a far
more elegant way to do a loop than a C-style loop. But the C-style for
loop is just syntactic sugar for a while loop. In some cases, C-style
for loops can have an initializer, a set of conditions, and incrementer
parts that are all based on different variables. For example:

for (a=begin_func() ; x < 3 and sometest(b) ; i=somefunc() )

This highly illogical and contrived function could not be represented in
python with a simple "for x in blah" statement. Rather you have to
represent it in its true form, which is a while loop:

a=begin_func()
while x < 3 and sometest(b):
#do stuff
#loop body
i=somefunc()

In fact, the perl/c for loop of the form:

for (<initializer>;<condition>;<incrementer>)

always translates directly to:

<initializer>
while <condition>:
#loop body