Source for the original CDC 6000 Pascal compiler

Scott Moore

Mar 12, 2008, 6:40:05 PM3/12/08
Because of some of the unique history projects going on
for the CDC 6000 computer series, I have made available
an online scan of the original CDC 6000 Pascal compiler
source at:

http://www.standardpascal.org/CDC6000pascal.html

The Standard Pascal page page gives many historical items
of interest on Wirths' original Pascal.

The CDC 6000 compiler is the first operational compiler
for Pascal, in revised form. This is Pascal of 1976, when
it started on its road to fame.

The listings feature the main compiler code in Pascal,
a runtime support library in Pascal, a runtime support
library in Compass, the CDC 6000 assembly language, and
an error formatting program.

This scan comes to you courtesy of Mr. John Dykstra, who
donated the original listings to me.

There are a lot of items showing up for the CDC 6000
series computer, including full tapes of the Pascal
compiler, and these are said to run on the CDC emulator
that Tom Hunter runs. I hope to have some screenshots
of the original compiler running to post on the website.

In addition, there are electronic copies of the source.
I am talking to Zurich and the University of Minnesota
to get the release rights for the material (it is marked
as copyrighted).

Scott Moore

Richard Engebretson

Mar 16, 2008, 7:43:44 PM3/16/08

I'm not close to being an expert on this, but I'm reasonably close to
the University of Minnesota. I get invited to their big biofuels push.
I got some physics dept. profs to look at freepascal. I started grad
school in 1976 in Otto Schmitt's lab. We really did push the fiber
optic neural network, made some CDC friends and not friends. Anyway,
congratulations on your great contributions.
Rick.

Scott Moore

Mar 17, 2008, 2:45:42 AM3/17/08

Thank you.

I should also note that the majority of thanks should go to the
contributors of this material. John Dykstra, for the listings,
and especially, to Tom Hunter and the other members of the CDC/Cray
group. Their main mission was preservation of CDC/Cray material,
and yet they have helped immeasurably.

Scott Moore

thomas...@gmx.at

Apr 23, 2008, 11:31:27 AM4/23/08

What about the sources of the P4?
Could I put the sources of the P4 at my homepage?
And what about the P-code interpreter that comes with
the P4?

Greetings Thomas Mertes

Chris Burrows

Apr 23, 2008, 9:42:15 PM4/23/08
thomas...@gmx.at> wrote in message

> What about the sources of the P4?
> Could I put the sources of the P4 at my homepage?
> And what about the P-code interpreter that comes with
> the P4?

You can download the P4 Compiler and Interpreter sources here:

http://homepages.cwi.nl/~steven/pascal/

Chris Burrows
CFB Software
http://www.cfbsoftware.com/cp

Scott Moore

Apr 23, 2008, 10:58:05 PM4/23/08

Aside from what is specifically marked as under licence,
all the material on the standardpascal web site is public
domain. To make this clear, I have even put a notice on
the page stating that this is so. This includes everything
including the web pages themselves.

The only material there that is not public domain is the
1984 version of the CDC compiler, and that was by specific
request from the university.

Scott Moore

Scott Moore

Apr 23, 2008, 11:02:09 PM4/23/08
Chris Burrows wrote:
> thomas...@gmx.at> wrote in message
>> What about the sources of the P4?
>> Could I put the sources of the P4 at my homepage?
>> And what about the P-code interpreter that comes with
>> the P4?
>>

> You can download the P4 Compiler and Interpreter sources here:
>
> http://homepages.cwi.nl/~steven/pascal/

Yes, you can, but please note that there have been a few implementation
issues worked out in the copies that appear on the standardpascal page.
I originally got the p4 material from Steve's page, but ran and made
several corrections to the material.

The details on on the standardpascal web site along with the source
code.

Scott Moore

thomas...@gmx.at

Apr 26, 2008, 6:39:02 AM4/26/08
On 24 Apr., 05:02, Scott Moore <sam...@moorecad.com> wrote:
> Chris Burrows wrote:
> > thomas.mer...@gmx.at> wrote in message

> >> What about the sources of the P4?
> >> Could I put the sources of the P4 at my homepage?
> >> And what about the P-code interpreter that comes with
> >> the P4?
>
> > You can download the P4 Compiler and Interpreter sources here:
>
> >http://homepages.cwi.nl/~steven/pascal/
>
> Yes, you can, but please note that there have been a few implementation
> issues worked out in the copies that appear on the standardpascal page.
> I originally got the p4 material from Steve's page, but ran and made
> several corrections to the material.

That's no problem for me. What about the license issues.
Is the P4 compatible with the GPL?
Can I release an improved version of the P4 under the GPL?

Scott Moore

Apr 26, 2008, 12:13:22 PM4/26/08

You can always release a public domain software under the GPL, but
it would not be binding for other than your changes. As long as
someone uses a public domain copy of P4 instead of your changed version,
the GPL does not apply to them.

Scott Moore

thomas...@gmx.at

May 18, 2008, 3:34:55 PM5/18/08
On 24 Apr., 04:58, Scott Moore <sam...@moorecad.com> wrote:

Speaking of computer archeology...
Do you plan to release the 1972 and 1976 pascal compilers
also in machine readable form instead of scanned listings?

Are other versions of the P6000 compiler available
as well?

You mention also the P1, P2 and P3 pascal compilers.
Is the source of this compailers also available
(I was not able to find them in the internet)?

Scott Moore

May 20, 2008, 12:29:05 PM5/20/08
thomas...@gmx.at wrote:

>> The only material there that is not public domain is the
>> 1984 version of the CDC compiler, and that was by specific
>> request from the university.
>
> Speaking of computer archeology...
> Do you plan to release the 1972 and 1976 pascal compilers
> also in machine readable form instead of scanned listings?

Its a good question. The material is already on line, but on
a privately subscribed site, in the form of CDC tapes. The
decision to make it private was stipulated by the current
owners of the rights to the CDC.

I don't believe there is any problem with my also publishing
the tapes, but I also unfortunately don't believe there is
much use to it either, since you would need the other tools
and the CDC 6000 simulator to use the material.

I guess the short answer is that I need to look into if there
is any sense to be made from trying to make a stand alone
version.

> Are other versions of the P6000 compiler available
> as well?

Probably. The ones I presented were the most important versions,
the last version of the first compiler before the rewrite,
and the last CDC 6000 compiler ever published.

> You mention also the P1, P2 and P3 pascal compilers.
> Is the source of this compailers also available
> (I was not able to find them in the internet)?

Wow, thats probably the hardest question of all. P2 exists
today as the UCSD compiler. However, it was likely radically
changed to become UCSD.

There are other copies of the P compiler running around the
net, I never really bothered to track them all and compare them.
From what I have seen, they are mostly changed in various ways
from the originals by various authors who tweaked them. The
version of P4 we have is a fairly lucky thing in that Steve
Pemberton, who wrote a book about the compiler, placed that
on line. Steve is a great guy who deserves a lot of credit
for what he has done over the years.

So, with apologies, the answer is basically "go fish"... on
the internet.

> Greetings Thomas Mertes

thomas...@gmx.at

May 20, 2008, 3:35:57 PM5/20/08
On 20 Mai, 18:29, Scott Moore <sam...@moorecad.com> wrote:

> thomas.mer...@gmx.at wrote:
> >> The only material there that is not public domain is the
> >> 1984 version of the CDC compiler, and that was by specific
> >> request from the university.
>
> > Speaking of computer archeology...
> > Do you plan to release the 1972 and 1976 pascal compilers
> > also in machine readable form instead of scanned listings?
>
> Its a good question. The material is already on line, but on
> a privately subscribed site, in the form of CDC tapes. The
> decision to make it private was stipulated by the current
> owners of the rights to the CDC.

It is of limited value, when it cannot be released as
public domain or as open source software. On the contrary
when copyrighted material is released you can get trouble
and other ways of getting public domain versions of this
software (via ocr or manual typing using the public domain
listings you released) could be handicapped. Since I started
to produce machine readable forms of the 1972 and 1976
compilers by manual typing (don't hold your breath it will
take months since it is a low level task for me) I ask you
to not release any material about this compilers which might
have copyright on them. OTOH public domain versions are
welcome.

> I don't believe there is any problem with my also publishing
> the tapes, but I also unfortunately don't believe there is
> much use to it either, since you would need the other tools
> and the CDC 6000 simulator to use the material.

In the future such tools may be available for free.
It is software archeology. As such it has the same value
as the things you see in a museum. Comparing different
compiler versions is also easier with machine readable files.

> I guess the short answer is that I need to look into if there
> is any sense to be made from trying to make a stand alone
> version.

what do you mean with a stand alone version?

> > Are other versions of the P6000 compiler available
> > as well?
>
> Probably. The ones I presented were the most important versions,
> the last version of the first compiler before the rewrite,
> and the last CDC 6000 compiler ever published.
>
> > You mention also the P1, P2 and P3 pascal compilers.
> > Is the source of this compailers also available
> > (I was not able to find them in the internet)?
>
> Wow, thats probably the hardest question of all. P2 exists
> today as the UCSD compiler. However, it was likely radically
> changed to become UCSD.
>
> There are other copies of the P compiler running around the
> net, I never really bothered to track them all and compare them.
> From what I have seen, they are mostly changed in various ways
> from the originals by various authors who tweaked them. The
> version of P4 we have is a fairly lucky thing in that Steve
> Pemberton, who wrote a book about the compiler, placed that
> on line. Steve is a great guy who deserves a lot of credit
> for what he has done over the years.
>
> So, with apologies, the answer is basically "go fish"... on
> the internet.

I already tried, with no success...

Scott Moore

May 20, 2008, 5:52:34 PM5/20/08

I think you misunderstand. I NEVER release copyright information
on my web site without express written permission.

In fact, I have made that very clear on my web site:

http://www.standardpascal.org/rights.html

Which is clearly linked from the main page.

>> I don't believe there is any problem with my also publishing
>> the tapes, but I also unfortunately don't believe there is
>> much use to it either, since you would need the other tools
>> and the CDC 6000 simulator to use the material.
>
> In the future such tools may be available for free.
> It is software archeology. As such it has the same value
> as the things you see in a museum. Comparing different
> compiler versions is also easier with machine readable files.
>
>> I guess the short answer is that I need to look into if there
>> is any sense to be made from trying to make a stand alone
>> version.
>
> what do you mean with a stand alone version?

The CDC 6000 simulator was released on a web site:

http://www.standardpascal.org/cdc6400.html

The tapes to run the Pascal CDC 6000 compiler are either public
domain, or I have already obtained rights to. The only rights
claimed were for the rest of the CDC information, that, as mentioned,
the current holders of the CDC rights have given only limited
permission to access.

So it remains to be seen if there is value to releasing just what
information would be necessary to run just the CDC 6000 Pascal
tapes.

>>> Are other versions of the P6000 compiler available
>>> as well?
>> Probably. The ones I presented were the most important versions,
>> the last version of the first compiler before the rewrite,
>> and the last CDC 6000 compiler ever published.
>>
>>> You mention also the P1, P2 and P3 pascal compilers.
>>> Is the source of this compailers also available
>>> (I was not able to find them in the internet)?
>> Wow, thats probably the hardest question of all. P2 exists
>> today as the UCSD compiler. However, it was likely radically
>> changed to become UCSD.
>>
>> There are other copies of the P compiler running around the
>> net, I never really bothered to track them all and compare them.
>> From what I have seen, they are mostly changed in various ways
>> from the originals by various authors who tweaked them. The
>> version of P4 we have is a fairly lucky thing in that Steve
>> Pemberton, who wrote a book about the compiler, placed that
>> on line. Steve is a great guy who deserves a lot of credit
>> for what he has done over the years.
>>
>> So, with apologies, the answer is basically "go fish"... on
>> the internet.
>
> I already tried, with no success...

I have come across perhaps 6 versions. I haven't kept track of the
wheres and the whys mainly because I found them to be heavily modified,
clearly by other parties than the original Zurich group. This does not
make them valueless. For example, I have used net source that were
modified to restore some of the original Basic programs from the 1970's.

I admit, though, I have very little motivation to put that kind of work
in. The P4 compiler represents the last and most complete version, and
I am satisfied with it.