Lisp based DSL for bio on Ars Technica

Raffael Cavallaro

Jul 30, 2008, 9:25:58 AM7/30/08
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080729-little-b-project-creates-biology-specific-programming-system.html>

Though

Little b was mentioned here before, I thought people might want to see
other mainstream net coverage of a lisp-based technology.

Alberto Riva

Jul 30, 2008, 10:50:28 AM7/30/08

We've come full circle:

"Lisp's syntax is based on lists — data structures that Mallavarapu said
are conceptually similar to chunks of XML"

Alberto

Raffael Cavallaro

Jul 30, 2008, 5:26:42 PM7/30/08
On 2008-07-30 10:50:28 -0400, Alberto Riva <ar...@nospam.ufl.edu> said:

> We've come full circle:
>
> "Lisp's syntax is based on lists — data structures that Mallavarapu said
> are conceptually similar to chunks of XML"

Well they do have to make it intelligible to the young savages who
frequent ars ;^)

Steve Graham

Jul 31, 2008, 12:06:49 PM7/31/08
On Jul 30, 7:25 am, Raffael Cavallaro <raffaelcavallaro@pas-d'espam-
s'il-vous-plait-mac.com> wrote:
> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080729-little-b-project-create...>

> Though
>
> Little b was mentioned here before, I thought people might want to see
> other mainstream net coverage of a lisp-based technology.

What is it in Lisp which makes it so suitable for this task?

Steve

Marco Antoniotti

Jul 31, 2008, 12:11:37 PM7/31/08
On Jul 31, 12:06 pm, Steve Graham <solitary.wandere...@gmail.com>
wrote:

maybe the fact that "XML is S-exprs in a drag"? :)

Cheers
--
Marco

Steve Graham

Jul 31, 2008, 3:32:51 PM7/31/08
s'il-vous-plait-mac.com> wrote:
> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080729-little-b-project-create...>
>
> Though
>
> Little b was mentioned here before, I thought people might want to see
> other mainstream net coverage of a lisp-based technology.

I wonder if it has been used for other things than biomedical
modeling.

Steve

Raffael Cavallaro

Jul 31, 2008, 4:42:31 PM7/31/08
On 2008-07-31 12:06:49 -0400, Steve Graham
<solitary....@gmail.com> said:

> What is it in Lisp which makes it so suitable for this task?

in a nutshell, lisp's DSL crafting strengths. See the article for details.