Labview Sound vi bug

labJunky

Apr 1, 2008, 4:40:07 AM4/1/08
Hi Everyone,have found a bug in the labview sound vi's. It is quite a complicated one to explain, but here is my configuration first.I have a dell precision 390, with a built in sound card on the mother board which uses a "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC controller", I also have a PCI sound card installed in PCI slot 5, a M-Audio Delta 1010LT. The M-Audio card is set in windows xp as the default sound card.When I open labview (8.5) and run a little labview program I made to control the sound card (soundTest.vi attached), the program runs but no sound is produced. In fact, the program tells me that the sound card is playing (even though no sound is being produced), and because of the nature of the program it just loops continuously forever (until I hit it with the hammer of the "Abort Execution" button). (Note: The sound card is configured properly using its control panel, and the device ID is the correct one. Also windows tells me that there are no device conflicts. And before starting the labview program, windows is able to play sounds using the sound card. Once I have run this vi and stopped it though, windows is no longer able to make any sounds.)Now here is the funny part. If I close labview completely (the sound card resource is returned to windows control), and I open in windows the Device manager, and disable the SigmaTel CODEC (the onboard card), then Open labview, run the soundTest.vi once (it still doesn't work) and Abort it, then (without closing labview) Enable the SigmaTel CODEC in device manager, and then rerun the soundTest.vi I get an Error message (below), but then if I run it a second time the soundTest.vi program works correctly!If I close Labview, I have to redo this sequence to get the vi to work again. Also if I restart the computer I have to do that too. I went through many other sequences of doing things to try to get the vi to work, but this precise sequence was the ONLY way to make it work. (I also tried disabling the internal sound card through the BIOS, but that didn't work.)It's quite annoying to do that everytime you restart labview, and also it took me a whole day to find that sequence to made the vi work! Does anyone know of a better fix than my one? Thanks,Paul.p.s. The error message was: Error 4800 occured at sound output configure.vi. Resean, Labview: (Hex 0x12C0) Selected Device is Invalid.

soundTest3.vi:
http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/312647/1/soundTest3.vi

labJunky

Apr 1, 2008, 4:40:07 AM4/1/08
[...]

soundTest4.vi:
http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/312648/1/soundTest4.vi

labJunky

Apr 1, 2008, 5:10:05 AM4/1/08
The attachment was in a library, I am not sure if that will course any problems in running it. So here it is again, taken out of the libraries.

soundTest5.vi:
http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/312651/1/soundTest5.vi

GerdW

Apr 1, 2008, 5:10:05 AM4/1/08

Aashish_M

Apr 4, 2008, 5:40:08 PM4/4/08
Hi labJunky,

LabVIEW uses DirectX to access the board. Make sure you have the most up to date version of DirectX and device drivers.
This may help in resolving the problem.

Also, try and see if Generate Sound.vi in the example finder works.

Volker Linke

Jun 5, 2008, 6:10:07 AM6/5/08
Hi Everyone,
i know this is a late responce but I had a simular problem today. I use a m-audio delta 44 for sound output and measurement. My application crashed every time I use the soundcard. The problem comes from the lvsound2.dll. This dll is located in 'National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\resource'.
I replaced this dll with the lvsound2.dll from LabView 8.2.1 and voilá my problem is fixed.
I hope this will help you to fix your problem.

lvsound2.zip:
http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/329045/1/lvsound2.zip