Suggestions for extensions to JS

Hugh Satow

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96

Here are some additions to the functionality of the window object
that I would find useful. (I expect this is the last thing Netscape need
at the moment, and there are probably reasons why all of the following
are not possible, but ... what the hell!)

1. A beep() method. When validating forms data input, it seems a bit
drastic (and it might quickly become annoying) to put up an alert
each time the user makes a typo.

2. More control over size and position when a new window is opened.
align and valign in the windowFeatures argument in the open() method.
Possible values for align being left|center|right.
Possible values for valign being top|middle|bottom.
Also inheritance of width or height if only height or width are given.

3. Use of the progress bar at the lower right of the window (well that's
where it is on the Mac). The following names are a bit long here,
but that's to try and ensure their function is clear:-
Methods:
progressBarShow([amountFull])
If amountFull is not given, or is not a number, 0 is assumed.
If amountFull is > 1, 1 is assumed.
Otherwise amountFull is a real number between 0.0 and 1.0.
The function would be called repeatedly during a long
calculation, with a larger amountFull each time.
progressBarHide()
Properties:
progressBarVisible
progressBarAmountFull