LiveScript?

1 view

Gordon McComb

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
LiveScript was replaced by JavaScript. Pretty much the same thing. See:

http://home.netscape.com/comprod/products/navigator/version_2.0/script/script_info/index.html

for more info on JavaScript. Do note that Java and JavaScript are completely separate
things. Netscape decided to camp-on the Java frenzy (with Sun's approval), and renamed
LiveScript as JavaScript.

The LANGUAGE= attribute may be dropped in the future, depending on who you listen to.
It's actually superfluous right now. Currently, the only two non-vapor languages
supported for the <SCRIPT> tag are JavaScript (but LANGUAGE="LiveScript" will do the
same thing), and VBScript. Only Microsoft's Internet Explorer currently supports both
JavaScript and VBScript.

-- Gordon
http://gmccomb.com/javascript/

Adrian Hobbs wrote:

> Hi,
> I just stumbled across a Netscape facility: Scripting.
> Using a language called "LiveScript" resembling a basic Javascript but
> in plain text built into the HTML page. It appears to provide just the
> sort of facility I need to develop some useful in-house HTML forms. Does
> anyone have any further information on this? manuals? guides?
> I searched the Web and came up with only tantalising references. Here's
> hoping someone can help.
> Interestingly the syntax on the examples I've seen includes the
> construct
> <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="LiveScript">
> in the header of the HTML page, followed by the script.
> Does this imply more than one language will be supported?
> Thanks in advance

Adrian Hobbs

Scott Kramer

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
to Adrian Hobbs

LivaScript is actually JavaScript. Nobody uses the term LiveScript
anymore. It really doesn't matter what you enter as the language, but
it is probably best to enter JavaScript. The comment at the beginning
of the script simply defines what language will be needed for the
following code!
--

}
{