The text editor "discussions"

Joe Attardi

Nov 30, 2007, 11:15:49 AM11/30/07
These "discussions" are really getting irritating - offtopic in a Java
newsgroup.

Arguing with Paul/Twisted/Nebulous/Twerpinator/Bbound/whatever name he
decides to use today is obviously a pointless venture, as past threads
in this newsgroup (and my own personal experience, unfortunately) has shown.

Regardless, if some of you insist on carrying on this months-old
discussion, can you PLEASE take it to email or a different group where
flame wars about Emacs would be more on-topic?

Mike Schilling

Nov 30, 2007, 12:39:09 PM11/30/07

alt.flame.emacs.psychotic, perhaps?

Joe Attardi

Nov 30, 2007, 1:08:59 PM11/30/07
Mike Schilling wrote:
> alt.flame.emacs.psychotic, perhaps?

I like it. :)

Lew

Nov 30, 2007, 7:00:25 PM11/30/07

I have seen none of this flame wars in a while. Ahh, the peace and quiet of a
good killfile.

--
Lew

Andrew Thompson

Nov 30, 2007, 7:06:18 PM11/30/07
Joe Attardi wrote:
>These "discussions" are really getting irritating - offtopic in a Java
>newsgroup.

Yeah I agree, ..but. As I was about to (try to*) ascertain
why that thread was dragging on (and on, and on..) and
make some suggestions, it occured to me that a particularly
quirky and noisome individual had not had time to make snide
remarks to me about my approach toward people, and I
decided to 'leave it'.

Mind you. Using a WITUN, I do not even have to suffer the
bandwidth of the continuing thread (all I get is the idiot thread
continually jumping to the 'top of the list') - I pity the users of
desktop news clients that are unable to 'plonk' it, and end up
downloading every post.

* It is becoming impractical to *access* that thread via my
WITUN.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.physci.org/

Owen Jacobson

Nov 30, 2007, 9:13:03 PM11/30/07
On 2007-11-30 16:06:18 -0800, "Andrew Thompson" <u32984@uwe> said:

> Joe Attardi wrote:
>> These "discussions" are really getting irritating - offtopic in a Java
>> newsgroup.
>
> Yeah I agree, ..but. As I was about to (try to*) ascertain
> why that thread was dragging on (and on, and on..) and
> make some suggestions, it occured to me that a particularly
> quirky and noisome individual had not had time to make snide
> remarks to me about my approach toward people, and I
> decided to 'leave it'.
>
> Mind you. Using a WITUN, I do not even have to suffer the
> bandwidth of the continuing thread (all I get is the idiot thread
> continually jumping to the 'top of the list') - I pity the users of
> desktop news clients that are unable to 'plonk' it, and end up
> downloading every post.
>
> * It is becoming impractical to *access* that thread via my
> WITUN.

Two interesting(?) observations:

1. That Thread finally prompted me to go find a real newsreader and
give up on Google Groups.

2. The newsreader I picked is evidently smarter than I am, as it's
killfiled that thread with no input from me.

-o

Joe Attardi

Nov 30, 2007, 11:42:30 PM11/30/07
Owen Jacobson wrote:
> 2. The newsreader I picked is evidently smarter than I am, as it's
> killfiled that thread with no input from me.

That is pretty interesting. What newsreader are you using?

Andrew Thompson

Nov 30, 2007, 11:59:45 PM11/30/07
Joe Attardi wrote:
>> 2. The newsreader I picked is evidently smarter than I am, as it's
>> killfiled that thread with no input from me.

That is both clever and worrying. I would prefer to expend
a little effort plonking threads (perhaps according to criteria,
such as who started the thread) than to have some unknown
other persons/processes deciding that for me.

>That is pretty interesting. What newsreader are you using?

I suspect it is the "User-Agent:" shown here..
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/617df325a46f1e4b?dmode=source

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.physci.org/

Owen Jacobson

Dec 1, 2007, 12:11:28 AM12/1/07
On 2007-11-30 20:59:45 -0800, "Andrew Thompson" <u32984@uwe> said:

> Joe Attardi wrote:
>>> 2. The newsreader I picked is evidently smarter than I am, as it's
>>> killfiled that thread with no input from me.
>
> That is both clever and worrying. I would prefer to expend
> a little effort plonking threads (perhaps according to criteria,
> such as who started the thread) than to have some unknown
> other persons/processes deciding that for me.

It turns out it's merely buggy; turning off threaded view brought back
the complete thread. A bug has been filed.

It *does* seem to have figured out that the ongoing crapflood in
rec.games.roguelikes.nethack is not worthy of my attention, though;
neither threaded nor non-threaded view shows posts from it until I turn
"hide read posts" off.

>> That is pretty interesting. What newsreader are you using?
>
> I suspect it is the "User-Agent:" shown here..
> <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/617df325a46f1e4b?dmode=source

Indeed

it is. It's... adequate. The killfile sucks for anything other than
plonk-by-author or plonk-by-crossposts, and I haven't figured out if,
never mind how, it can show the full headers on articles. On the other
hand, it gets line wrapping and quoting Right and the built-in editor
doesn't make me reach for TextMate or emacs immediately, and the
support for media groups is great.

Anyone have a better suggestion for an OS X newsreader? slrn and trn
suggestions met with gales of laughter. :)

-o

Joe Attardi

Dec 1, 2007, 12:23:34 AM12/1/07
Owen Jacobson wrote:
> Anyone have a better suggestion for an OS X newsreader? slrn and trn
> suggestions met with gales of laughter. :)

How about Thunderbird?

Daniel Pitts

Dec 1, 2007, 2:08:42 PM12/1/07
Hmm, anybody know hot to add a killfile to Thunderbird?

Lars Enderin

Dec 1, 2007, 2:13:48 PM12/1/07
Daniel Pitts skrev:
You can set up Filter rules under Tools.
You can also create filter rules via right-clicking the From address.

Lew

Dec 1, 2007, 2:23:54 PM12/1/07

Lars Enderin wrote:
> You can set up Filter rules under Tools.
> You can also create filter rules via right-clicking the From address.

Left-click on main newsgroup server entry in the "Folders" pane.
The right pane shows a bunch of commands, including "Manage message filters".
This recapitulates the menu item "_T_ools / Message _F_ilters...".

In the Message Filters dialog, make sure the "_F_ilters for:" dropdown is set
either to your whole newsgroup account ("choose this news server") or to a
particular newsgroup you want to filter.

Click on the "_N_ew" button, or select an existing filter and click on the
"_E_dit" button.

A typical killfile rule would "Match any _o_f the following" and a have series
of criteria such as "From" "contains" "MI5V...@mi5.gov.uk".

Add another criterion with the plus (+) button to the right of the existing
criterion:

(+) "From" "contains" "AShopper.net".

"_P_erform these actions" should be "Mark As Read" plus (+) "Delete Message".

Click "OK".

Make sure the filter's "Enabled" box is checked.

Click the little "X" close box in the upper right of the window. (T-Bird
forgot to provide a "Finished" button.)

--
Lew

blm...@myrealbox.com

Dec 1, 2007, 7:48:01 PM12/1/07
In article <ltGdnTji94yoqs3a...@comcast.com>,

Joe Attardi <jatt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> These "discussions" are really getting irritating - offtopic in a Java
> newsgroup.
>
> Arguing with Paul/Twisted/Nebulous/Twerpinator/Bbound/whatever name he
> decides to use today is obviously a pointless venture, as past threads
> in this newsgroup (and my own personal experience, unfortunately) has shown.

Quite. Pointless, off-topic, not something one should want on one's
Permanent Record -- and yet apparently oh so difficult to resist.

> Regardless, if some of you insist on carrying on this months-old
> discussion, can you PLEASE take it to email or a different group where
> flame wars about Emacs would be more on-topic?

Well, I strongly suspect that for at least two of the participants
in this ridiculous wrangle, taking the discussion to e-mail would
rather defeat the purpose, which seems to involve not letting
the other party have the last word. (Yeah, I'm one of those "at
least two".) Much the same thing applies to moving to another
group, I think. Maybe you'll shame everyone but Twisted into
giving up, though. Eventually.

I apologize to the group for continuing the wrangle. I don't
promise to cease and desist immediately, but maybe I can try to
avoid fanning the flames as much.

--
B. L. Massingill

nebul...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2007, 11:51:06 PM12/2/07
On Nov 30, 11:15 am, Joe Attardi <jatta...@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

Oh, no. Not only is JA back, but he's starting up whole new flame
threads. Apparently one just isn't enough for some people.

> Arguing with Paul/Twisted/Nebulous/Twerpinator/Bbound/whatever name he
> decides to use today

I've never decided to use the name Paul. Other people have, for some
reason inexplicable to me, decided to use it to label me from time to
time.

nebul...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2007, 11:51:35 PM12/2/07
On Nov 30, 12:39 pm, "Mike Schilling" <mscottschill...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
[implied insult deleted]

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.

nebul...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2007, 11:51:58 PM12/2/07

nebul...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2007, 11:52:14 PM12/2/07

Joe Attardi

Dec 3, 2007, 12:04:58 AM12/3/07
nebul...@gmail.com wrote:
> None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
> all true.

Is this your new strategy for things you can't give an intelligent
response to?

Mike Schilling

Dec 3, 2007, 12:32:25 AM12/3/07

Christ, you're infecting this thread too?

Go away. You're not wanted here (not that you're wanted anywhere else.)

Jeff Higgins

Dec 3, 2007, 6:28:04 AM12/3/07

Mike Schilling wrote:

> Christ, you're infecting this thread too?

WTF Everyone who's responded to this most recent
discussion has been a participant in the original.
How about this thread infecting the newsgroup?
Why don't you all just keep it there?

Jeff Higgins

Dec 3, 2007, 6:30:47 AM12/3/07

Jeff Higgins

Dec 3, 2007, 6:32:18 AM12/3/07

Jeff Higgins

Dec 3, 2007, 6:33:19 AM12/3/07

Jeff Higgins

Dec 3, 2007, 6:33:59 AM12/3/07

Jeff Higgins

Dec 3, 2007, 6:34:59 AM12/3/07

Jeff Higgins

Dec 3, 2007, 6:38:12 AM12/3/07

Bent C Dalager

Dec 3, 2007, 8:49:21 AM12/3/07
In article <5redm0F...@mid.individual.net>,

blm...@myrealbox.com <blm...@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>In article <ltGdnTji94yoqs3a...@comcast.com>,
>Joe Attardi <jatt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> These "discussions" are really getting irritating - offtopic in a Java
>> newsgroup.
>>
>> Arguing with Paul/Twisted/Nebulous/Twerpinator/Bbound/whatever name he
>> decides to use today is obviously a pointless venture, as past threads
>> in this newsgroup (and my own personal experience, unfortunately) has shown.
>
>Quite. Pointless (...)

I'm not so sure about pointless. It does appear to have reduced the
Twisted-density in the remainder of the newsgroup and surely that is
/something/.

I would hate to have to let him loose on the general population
again . . . :-)

Cheers,
Bent D
--
Bent Dalager - b...@pvv.org - http://www.pvv.org/~bcd
powered by emacs

Andreas Leitgeb

Dec 3, 2007, 12:43:32 PM12/3/07
No, not at all new...

Wojtek

Dec 3, 2007, 8:48:35 PM12/3/07
Oh for FSM's sake...

--
Wojtek :-)

nebul...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2007, 10:23:21 PM12/5/07
On Dec 3, 12:04 am, Joe Attardi <jatta...@gmail.com> wrote:
[implied insult deleted]

nebul...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2007, 10:23:35 PM12/5/07
On Dec 3, 12:32 am, "Mike Schilling" <mscottschill...@hotmail.com>

nebul...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2007, 10:23:55 PM12/5/07

Mike Schilling

Dec 5, 2007, 10:38:49 PM12/5/07

How would you know?

Mike Schilling

Dec 5, 2007, 10:38:43 PM12/5/07

How would you know?

Mike Schilling

Dec 5, 2007, 10:38:58 PM12/5/07

How would you know?

Roedy Green

Dec 6, 2007, 4:25:24 AM12/6/07
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:15:49 -0500, Joe Attardi <jatt...@gmail.com>

> Emacs would be more on-topic?

they naturally belong in comp.lang.software.tools

When you have topic drift, there is no mechanism to move the thread.
It is just one of the disadvantages of not having a moderator.
There are more important things to get your tail in a knot over.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

bbo...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2007, 1:37:25 AM12/9/07
On Dec 5, 10:38 pm, "Mike Schilling" <mscottschill...@hotmail.com>

bbo...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2007, 1:37:30 AM12/9/07
On Dec 5, 10:38 pm, "Mike Schilling" <mscottschill...@hotmail.com>

bbo...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2007, 1:37:40 AM12/9/07
On Dec 5, 10:38 pm, "Mike Schilling" <mscottschill...@hotmail.com>

Mike Schilling

Dec 9, 2007, 2:01:14 PM12/9/07

If they are, you'd be the last to know.

Mike Schilling

Dec 9, 2007, 2:01:21 PM12/9/07

If they are, you'd be the last to know.

Mike Schilling

Dec 9, 2007, 2:01:26 PM12/9/07

If they are, you'd be the last to know.

Lew

Dec 9, 2007, 3:13:16 PM12/9/07

I guess I'm going to have to tell Thunderbird to ignore this thread, too.

How about we drop all this squabbling?

--
Lew

twerp...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2007, 6:29:45 PM12/11/07
On Dec 9, 2:01 pm, "Mike Schilling" <mscottschill...@hotmail.com>

twerp...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2007, 6:30:00 PM12/11/07
On Dec 9, 2:01 pm, "Mike Schilling" <mscottschill...@hotmail.com>

twerp...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2007, 6:30:14 PM12/11/07
On Dec 9, 2:01 pm, "Mike Schilling" <mscottschill...@hotmail.com>

Mike Schilling

Dec 11, 2007, 7:51:00 PM12/11/07

<twerp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Sure, like anyone would take your word for it.

Mike Schilling

Dec 11, 2007, 7:51:07 PM12/11/07

Sure, like anyone would take your word for it.

Mike Schilling

Dec 11, 2007, 7:51:13 PM12/11/07

Sure, like anyone would take your word for it.

Owen Jacobson

Dec 11, 2007, 8:12:54 PM12/11/07
On Dec 11, 4:51 pm, "Mike Schilling" <mscottschill...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> <twerpina...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Mike, buddy. Knock it off. It's bad enough that Twisted posts the
same zero-content wastes of bandwidth repeatedly. You're smarter than
that.

-o

Wildemar Wildenburger

Dec 12, 2007, 6:18:46 PM12/12/07

None of the positive things you said or implied about Mike are at all true.

/W
(Oh jeez, I feel the urge again ...)

Andreas Leitgeb

Dec 13, 2007, 12:10:58 PM12/13/07
Wildemar Wildenburger <lasse...@klapptsowieso.net> wrote:

> Owen Jacobson wrote:
>> Mike, buddy. Knock it off. It's bad enough that Twisted posts the
>> same zero-content wastes of bandwidth repeatedly. You're smarter than
>> that.
> None of the positive things you said or implied about Mike are at all true.

Oh, long time no see, you snotty-faced heap of parrots droppings! ;-D

twerp...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2007, 2:05:33 AM12/15/07
On Dec 11, 7:51 pm, "Mike Schilling" <mscottschill...@hotmail.com>

twerp...@gmail.com