.

May 30, 2004, 2:10:31 PM5/30/04

Leo Wong <he...@albany.net> says...

>Added Yoruba.

Still spamming posts about Java into a Forth newsgroup, I see...

Repent, you sinner! God hates spammers!

Joona I Palaste

May 30, 2004, 2:35:32 PM5/30/04
Leo Wong <he...@albany.net> scribbled the following
on comp.lang.java.programmer:
> For Pentecost, I've written a Java applet that displays the Jesus Prayer,

> Lord Jesus Christ, son of God,
> have mercy on me, a sinner.

> in various languages:

> http://www.albany.net/~hello/jp2.htm

> So far I have:

> English, French, German, Latin, Italian, Spanish, Cherokee,
> Dutch, Finnish, Swedish, Serbian, Vietnamese, Slovak, Old Church
> Slavonic, Russian, Hebrew, Hawaiian, Greek, Polish, Czech, Maori,
> Swahili, Albanian, Portuguese, Plautdietsch, Romanian, Haitian,
> Japanese, Tagalog, Danish, Icelandic, Hungarian, Ukrainian, Norse,
> Irish, Hindi, Thai, Malay

I would like to proofread the German, Finnish and Swedish versions.
Also, can I submit a version in Klingon?

--
/-- Joona Palaste (pal...@cc.helsinki.fi) ------------- Finland --------\
"We sorcerers don't like to eat our words, so to say."

Roedy Green

May 30, 2004, 4:51:45 PM5/30/04
On 30 May 2004 18:35:32 GMT, Joona I Palaste <pal...@cc.helsinki.fi>
wrote or quoted :

>> For Pentecost, I've written a Java applet that displays the Jesus Prayer,

I have a similar secular version.

It counts in words in a variety of languages.

see http://mindprod.com/inwords.html

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Leo Wong

May 30, 2004, 7:41:36 PM5/30/04
Joona I Palaste wrote:

> Leo Wong <he...@albany.net> scribbled the following
> on comp.lang.java.programmer:
>
>>For Pentecost, I've written a Java applet that displays the Jesus Prayer,
>

>>Lord Jesus Christ, son of God,
>>have mercy on me, a sinner.
>

>>in various languages:
>

>>http://www.albany.net/~hello/jp2.htm
>

>>So far I have:
>

>>English, French, German, Latin, Italian, Spanish, Cherokee,
>>Dutch, Finnish, Swedish, Serbian, Vietnamese, Slovak, Old Church
>>Slavonic, Russian, Hebrew, Hawaiian, Greek, Polish, Czech, Maori,
>>Swahili, Albanian, Portuguese, Plautdietsch, Romanian, Haitian,
>>Japanese, Tagalog, Danish, Icelandic, Hungarian, Ukrainian, Norse,
>>Irish, Hindi, Thai, Malay
>

> I would like to proofread the German, Finnish and Swedish versions.
> Also, can I submit a version in Klingon?

If you can run:

http://www.albany.net/~hello/jp4.htm

you will be able to choose the language you want to proofread.

You had better post your Klingon version here.

All best,
Leo Wong
--
http://www.albany.net/~hello/

Albert van der Horst

May 30, 2004, 1:24:34 PM5/30/04
In article <nJGdnW_-G_M...@thebiz.net>,

Leo Wong <he...@albany.net> wrote:
>For Pentecost, I've written a Java applet that displays the Jesus Prayer,
>
>Lord Jesus Christ, son of God,
>have mercy on me, a sinner.
>
>in various languages:
>
>http://www.albany.net/~hello/jp2.htm
>
>So far I have:
>
>English, French, German, Latin, Italian, Spanish, Cherokee,
>Dutch, Finnish, Swedish, Serbian, Vietnamese, Slovak, Old Church
>Slavonic, Russian, Hebrew, Hawaiian, Greek, Polish, Czech, Maori,
>Swahili, Albanian, Portuguese, Plautdietsch, Romanian, Haitian,
>Japanese, Tagalog, Danish, Icelandic, Hungarian, Ukrainian, Norse,
>Irish, Hindi, Thai, Malay

So you are studying for pope then?
You have to go a long way before you beat the current pope.

One man-hour to invent,
One man-week to implement,
One lawyer-year to patent.

Leo Wong

May 30, 2004, 9:50:33 PM5/30/04
Roedy Green wrote:

> see http://mindprod.com/inwords.html

Nice! How would you handle of problem of browsers handling Hebrew (and
Arabic?) differently -- some going displaying Unicode left to right and
others right to left?

Roedy Green

May 30, 2004, 10:37:25 PM5/30/04
On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:50:33 -0400, Leo Wong <he...@albany.net> wrote
or quoted :

>Nice! How would you handle of problem of browsers handling Hebrew (and
>Arabic?) differently -- some going displaying Unicode left to right and
>others right to left?

I don't know. I don't know either language. The only one I have
tackled is getting Esperanto accents.

I don't know if you can make some fields Arabic, some English and
others Hebrew.

Leo Wong

May 30, 2004, 10:49:01 PM5/30/04
Roedy Green wrote:

> On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:50:33 -0400, Leo Wong <he...@albany.net> wrote
> or quoted :
>

>>Nice! How would you handle of problem of browsers handling Hebrew (and
>>Arabic?) differently -- some going displaying Unicode left to right and
>>others right to left?
>

> I don't know. I don't know either language. The only one I have
> tackled is getting Esperanto accents.
>
> I don't know if you can make some fields Arabic, some English and
> others Hebrew.

I think it is a browser question. It would be nice if there were a
standard (maybe there is one?). I suppose one could be a "reverse"
button that would only apply to certain languages, but that seems ugly.
Anyway, thanks, and good-bye. It's ordinary time.

Leo (and so Forth)
--
http://www.albany.net/~hello/

Joona I Palaste

May 31, 2004, 1:05:52 AM5/31/04
Leo Wong <he...@albany.net> scribbled the following:

> If you can run:

> http://www.albany.net/~hello/jp4.htm

Currently I can't run *any* applet because my browser refuses to have
the Java plugin installed. Can you just post the appropriate texts here,
or e-mail them to me?

--
/-- Joona Palaste (pal...@cc.helsinki.fi) ------------- Finland --------\

"To doo bee doo bee doo."
- Frank Sinatra

Roedy Green

May 31, 2004, 1:30:59 AM5/31/04
On 31 May 2004 05:05:52 GMT, Joona I Palaste <pal...@cc.helsinki.fi>
wrote or quoted :

>Currently I can't run *any* applet because my browser refuses to have

>the Java plugin installed. Can you just post the appropriate texts here,
>or e-mail them to me?

Try Opera. It is very good about accepting whatever Java you have
installed without any fuss.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/opera.html

Andrew Thompson

May 31, 2004, 3:50:34 AM5/31/04
On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:50:33 -0400, Leo Wong wrote:
> Roedy Green wrote:
..

>> see http://mindprod.com/inwords.html
>
> Nice! How would you handle of problem of browsers handling Hebrew (and
> Arabic?)

Since you mention it, an example..
<http://www.physci.org/launcher.jsp?class=/codes/eg/JArabicInUnicode>

--
Andrew Thompson

Leo Wong

May 31, 2004, 10:24:26 AM5/31/04
Joona I Palaste wrote:

> Currently I can't run *any* applet because my browser refuses to have
> the Java plugin installed. Can you just post the appropriate texts here,
> or e-mail them to me?

Jesus Christus, Sohn Gottes, erbarme Dich meiner, des Sünders.
Herra Jeesus Kristus, Jumalan Poika, armahda minua syntistä.
Herre Jesus Kristus, Guds Son, benåda mig, en syndare.

Hope the characters get through.

Joona I Palaste

May 31, 2004, 10:28:23 AM5/31/04
Leo Wong <he...@albany.net> scribbled the following:
> Joona I Palaste wrote:

The characters are in UTF-8 while I'm using ISO-8859-1, but I can guess
their intended meaning well enough. I suppose "Son of God" is supposed
to be capitalised regardless of language. In this case I can vouch for
the correctness of the Finnish version, and can not find any fault in
the German and Swedish versions either. Any native speakers here?
I have not yet come up with a Klingon version but will do so when I
have more free time.

--
/-- Joona Palaste (pal...@cc.helsinki.fi) ------------- Finland --------\

"Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schitzophrenic and so am I."
- Bob Wiley

P.Hill

May 31, 2004, 10:31:45 AM5/31/04
Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Since you mention it, an example..
> <http://www.physci.org/launcher.jsp?class=/codes/eg/JArabicInUnicode>

Hi Andrew,

I don't read Arabic, but isn't your example reading left to right?

-Paul

Joona I Palaste

May 31, 2004, 10:51:40 AM5/31/04
Joona I Palaste <pal...@cc.helsinki.fi> scribbled the following:

> Leo Wong <he...@albany.net> scribbled the following:
>> Joona I Palaste wrote:

>>> Currently I can't run *any* applet because my browser refuses to have
>>> the Java plugin installed. Can you just post the appropriate texts here,
>>> or e-mail them to me?

>> Jesus Christus, Sohn Gottes, erbarme Dich meiner, des Sünders.
>> Herra Jeesus Kristus, Jumalan Poika, armahda minua syntistä.
>> Herre Jesus Kristus, Guds Son, benåda mig, en syndare.

>> Hope the characters get through.

> The characters are in UTF-8 while I'm using ISO-8859-1, but I can guess
> their intended meaning well enough. I suppose "Son of God" is supposed
> to be capitalised regardless of language. In this case I can vouch for
> the correctness of the Finnish version, and can not find any fault in
> the German and Swedish versions either. Any native speakers here?
> I have not yet come up with a Klingon version but will do so when I
> have more free time.

Here we go... This is a very rough draft, because I have only learned
Klingon from one book. It might have some mistakes.

yeSuS QIStuS pIn'a' puqloD jIHDaq yempu'bogh pung yInobneS

Translation: Jesus Christ, Son of God, do me the honour of giving
mercy to me, who have sinned.

--
/-- Joona Palaste (pal...@cc.helsinki.fi) ------------- Finland --------\

"A friend of mine is into Voodoo Acupuncture. You don't have to go into her
office. You'll just be walking down the street and... ohh, that's much better!"
- Stephen Wright

Andrew Thompson

May 31, 2004, 10:53:28 AM5/31/04
On Mon, 31 May 2004 08:31:45 -0600, P.Hill wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:

>> <http://www.physci.org/launcher.jsp?class=/codes/eg/JArabicInUnicode>
..

> I don't read Arabic, but isn't your example reading left to right?

Not that I am aware of.

..Did you scroll down? The launchable
example shows it being constructed
part by part (from right to left).

Andrew Thompson

May 31, 2004, 10:55:21 AM5/31/04
On 31 May 2004 14:28:23 GMT, Joona I Palaste wrote:

> I have not yet come up with a Klingon version but will do so when I
> have more free time.

..what about Vulcan, ..Borg?

Or for that matter Auk, ..Elven? ;-)

P.Hill

May 31, 2004, 11:25:18 AM5/31/04
Andrew Thompson wrote:
> ..Did you scroll down? The launchable
> example shows it being constructed
> part by part (from right to left).

Yes I did. Sorry My mistake. I see what you are saying each line
differs from the previous on the LEFT.

Never mind,
-Paul

Leo Wong

May 31, 2004, 11:30:52 AM5/31/04
Andrew Thompson wrote:

> On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:50:33 -0400, Leo Wong wrote:
> Since you mention it, an example..
> <http://www.physci.org/launcher.jsp?class=/codes/eg/JArabicInUnicode>

Thank you.

I talking about a Java applet in which "Aslam Alykm" displays correctly
in some browsers and as "mkylA malsA" in others.

Andrew Thompson

May 31, 2004, 11:52:58 AM5/31/04
On Mon, 31 May 2004 11:30:52 -0400, Leo Wong wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:50:33 -0400, Leo Wong wrote:
>> <http://www.physci.org/launcher.jsp?class=/codes/eg/JArabicInUnicode>

> I talking about a Java applet in which "Aslam Alykm" displays correctly
> in some browsers and as "mkylA malsA" in others.

I still do not quite understand.

Are you saying that some browser/JRE
combinations will display the phrase
I am trying to write, incorrectly?

[ In the example I point to, you
should be able to see the string
being constructed character by
character - from right to left. ]

Have you got an example that displays
the problem you mention?

Leo Wong

May 31, 2004, 12:31:22 PM5/31/04
Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Have you got an example that displays
> the problem you mention?

Here is "Peace Be Upon You" in Arabic (after your program):

http://www.albany.net/~hello/jptest.htm

It seems right on IE6 and Firefox with JVM 1.4, wrong on IE6 with MS
JVM. Other can probably report on how it displays on other browser-jvm
combinations.

Andrew Thompson

May 31, 2004, 1:03:34 PM5/31/04
On Mon, 31 May 2004 12:31:22 -0400, Leo Wong wrote:

> Andrew Thompson wrote:
>> Have you got an example that displays
>> the problem you mention?

> Here is "Peace Be Upon You" in Arabic (after your program):
>
> http://www.albany.net/~hello/jptest.htm

Wow.. Thanks!

> It seems right on IE6 and Firefox with JVM 1.4,

My IE 6 w 1.4 JRE..
<http://www.physci.org/codes/eg/arright.png>
Yep. That is as I expect.

>..wrong on IE6 with MS JVM.

..hmmm. OK, flips to MSVM..
<http://www.physci.org/codes/eg/arwrong.png>
Ooooohhhh, yeah.. Typical ehh? :-(

What's the bet it renders correctly in 1.1.8?

Fortunately, the version at PhySci.codes
is 'safe' from the MSVM.. It uses Swing. ;-)

>..Other can probably report on how it displays on other browser-jvm
> combinations.

Yes, I would be interested to hear from
other people if this is a problem for
any VM other than the MSVM.

We have the actual images of both, throw
your browser at both the link above and
(if you have a 1.2+ VM) my version at..
<http://www.physci.org/launcher.jsp?class=/codes/eg/JArabicInUnicode>

Report back whether either/both are
rendering correctly.

Leo Wong

May 31, 2004, 2:03:43 PM5/31/04
Joona I Palaste wrote:
> Leo Wong <he...@albany.net> scribbled the following:
>
>>Joona I Palaste wrote:
>

>>>Currently I can't run *any* applet because my browser refuses to have
>>>the Java plugin installed. Can you just post the appropriate texts here,
>>>or e-mail them to me?
>

>>Jesus Christus, Sohn Gottes, erbarme Dich meiner, des Sünders.
>>Herra Jeesus Kristus, Jumalan Poika, armahda minua syntistä.
>>Herre Jesus Kristus, Guds Son, benåda mig, en syndare.
>

>>Hope the characters get through.
>

> The characters are in UTF-8 while I'm using ISO-8859-1, but I can guess
> their intended meaning well enough. I suppose "Son of God" is supposed
> to be capitalised regardless of language. In this case I can vouch for
> the correctness of the Finnish version, and can not find any fault in
> the German and Swedish versions either. Any native speakers here?
> I have not yet come up with a Klingon version but will do so when I
> have more free time.

Thank you very much. Is there a Usenet standard for character coding?
Should I be using ISO-8859-1?

Leo
--
http://www.albany.net/~hello/

Alan Anderson

Jun 1, 2004, 5:27:24 PM6/1/04
Joona I Palaste <pal...@cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:

> Here we go... This is a very rough draft, because I have only learned
> Klingon from one book. It might have some mistakes.
>
> yeSuS QIStuS pIn'a' puqloD jIHDaq yempu'bogh pung yInobneS
>
> Translation: Jesus Christ, Son of God, do me the honour of giving
> mercy to me, who have sinned.

Very close. The word order is a little off, and you're probably not
aware of a bit of vocabulary that would do well here. Oh, and
{QIStoS} is closer to the Greek for "anointed one". Here's what I'd
suggest:

yeSuS QIStoS, Qun'a' puqloD, jIyempu'bogh jIHvaD pung yInobneS.

{Qun} means "supernatural being". {jIH} "me" is the subject of {yem}
"sin", so it has to come after the verb. {-Daq} is the "locative"
suffix, but {-vaD} "beneficiary" is more appropriate for the recipient
of {nob} "give".

Using the honorific {-neS} is perfect, though. Well done.

--
Alan Anderson, professional programmer and amateur Klingonist
proud member of the Klingon Language Institute since 1995