command line arguments???????????

Bill McGuire

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
You're using Unix I would guess in which case the shell will expand * before
you ever get to see it. Try putting * in quotes which tells the shell not to
interpret it. I forget if it's single or double quotes.

Gene Myers

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
Anyone out there know why when I try to pass to an application the *
character it treats this as the wild card character and reads from the
current directory files. If this is not clear then here is an example:
java Calc 8 * 9 this should multiple 8 * 9 = 72
args[0]=8
args[1]=*
args[2]=9

instead I get:
args[0]=8
args[1]=agent.dll first file in c:/jdk1.1.3/bin directory ?????

What's going on?

Gene

Aaron M. Renn

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
Gene Myers wrote in message <01be589d$dc827700$baac...@stargate.sgi.net>...

>Anyone out there know why when I try to pass to an application the *
>character it treats this as the wild card character and reads from the
>current directory files. If this is not clear then here is an example:

You're on Unix, I presume? Your shell is performing wildcard expansion.
Either disable globbing, or enclose the * in single quotes.

--
Aaron M. Renn (ar...@urbanophile.com) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/

Kevin Kelley

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
"Aaron M. Renn" <ar...@urbanophile.com> wrote:

> Gene Myers wrote in message <01be589d$dc827700$baac...@stargate.sgi.net>...
> >Anyone out there know why when I try to pass to an application the *
> >character it treats this as the wild card character and reads from the
> >current directory files. If this is not clear then here is an example:
>
> You're on Unix, I presume? Your shell is performing wildcard expansion.
> Either disable globbing, or enclose the * in single quotes.

FYI, that happens on Windoze as well. I think it's specified that
way --the java.exe is required to do it if the OS doesn't.

--
Kevin Kelley http://www.ruralnet.net/~kelley/
Starlight Software Co. http://www.kevin-kelley.com/