java.util.zip Problem?? Help

1 view

rjb

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
We have a servlet that creates a report and attaches it as a .ZIP file
attachment. The problem seems to be that the format of the .ZIP file is not
quite right. We can open this with most programs for .ZIP files, but the
following fails:

When a user receives the attachment in Lotus Notes4.6.x, and chooses the
View Attachment option, the system returns the following error message:-

The file is corrupt.

Is there some deviation from the .ZIP file standard by Sun. I have tried
this using both JDK1.1.7 on Linux, and JDK1.2.2 on Win9X/NT and Linux - both
result in the same problem. If I create a file using WinZip or PKZIP, Lotus
Notes does not have a problem with the file at all.

Any suggestions?

Peter van der Linden

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
rjb <rjb...@worldonline.nl> wrote:
>When a user receives the attachment in Lotus Notes4.6.x, and chooses the
>View Attachment option, the system returns the following error message:-
>
>The file is corrupt.
>
>Is there some deviation from the .ZIP file standard by Sun.

The zip format used in Java is intended to be absolutely the
standard zip format.

Can you use a binary dump program to see where the difference is?
Can you use that to try to boil it down into the simplest example that
fails? Also check for bugs at the JDC site (address in Java FAQ).

Please report back what you find, this looks interesting.

The Java FAQ is at
http://www.afu.com

rjb

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
I have zipped a sinlge 2KB file using both methods, and there is a
difference. However, even using the basic no frills options in all other
programs, I cannot put my finger on the reason for this.
FYI -
Zipped with Zip under Linux - Lotus Notes recognises
Zipped with PKZip under Dos - Lotus Notes recognises
Zipped with WinZip7.0 - Lotus Notes recognises
Zipped with WinZip8.0 - Lotus Notes recognises
Zipped with java.util.zip - Lotus Notes says it is corrupt, but I can open
with WinZip et al.

Now, if I was a betting man, I'd have my money on Sun either doing something
funny. Will check the JDC.

regards

"Peter van der Linden" <pv...@best.com> wrote in message

Marco Schmidt

May 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/26/00
On Thu, 25 May 2000 17:04:27 +0200, "rjb" <rjb...@worldonline.nl>
wrote:

>I have zipped a sinlge 2KB file using both methods, and there is a
>difference. However, even using the basic no frills options in all other
>programs, I cannot put my finger on the reason for this.

Maybe you can make that ZIP archive created from your Java app
available for download via HTTP?! I would take a look at it.

There usually is a small difference in ZIP archives created by
different programs (or with different compression ratio settings).

Regards,
Marco