Apple finally releases Java 6 for OS X

Daniel Dyer

Dec 14, 2007, 1:50:59 PM12/14/07
Only just spotted this
(http://cld.blog-city.com/finally_java_se_6_for_macos_x_leopard_or_tiger.htm)
and it doesn't seem to have been mentioned here yet.

It's available now from the "Software Update" feature.

Dan.

--
Daniel Dyer
http://www.uncommons.org

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Owen Jacobson

Dec 14, 2007, 2:50:55 PM12/14/07
On Dec 14, 10:50 am, "Daniel Dyer" <"You don't need it"> wrote:
> Only just spotted this
> (http://cld.blog-city.com/finally_java_se_6_for_macos_x_leopard_or_tig...)
> and it doesn't seem to have been mentioned here yet.
>
> It's available now from the "Software Update" feature.

No it's not, that's an update for Java 5.

Thanks, Apple!

-o

Roedy Green

Dec 14, 2007, 5:26:35 PM12/14/07
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 18:50:59 -0000, "Daniel Dyer" <"You don't need
it"> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

>(http://cld.blog-city.com/finally_java_se_6_for_macos_x_leopard_or_tiger.htm)

It says that Release 6 is actually just an update to 1.5, not a 1.6.
Sounds like some smarmy marketing guy wanted to claim Leopard
supported Java 6.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Steve W. Jackson

Dec 17, 2007, 10:29:45 AM12/17/07
In article <3o06m31gj656dc4d5...@4ax.com>,
Roedy Green <see_w...@mindprod.com.invalid> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 18:50:59 -0000, "Daniel Dyer" <"You don't need
> it"> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
>
> >(http://cld.blog-city.com/finally_java_se_6_for_macos_x_leopard_or_tiger.htm)
> >

> It says that Release 6 is actually just an update to 1.5, not a 1.6.
> Sounds like some smarmy marketing guy wanted to claim Leopard
> supported Java 6.

What marketing guy would that be? I haven't visited that blog, but
there's no update to Java in Leopard. Leopard shipped with 1.5.0_13,
and this update brings Tiger's version up to that level.
--
Steve W. Jackson
Montgomery, Alabama

Steve W. Jackson

Dec 17, 2007, 10:30:37 AM12/17/07
In article <fjuk7h$uce$1...@kuling.itea.ntnu.no>,
b...@pvv.ntnu.no (Bent C Dalager) wrote:

> Mind you, I am still on Tiger, but my guess would be it's the same
> story for Leopard.
>
> Cheers,
> Bent D

Actually, no -- there's no Java update for Leopard, which shipped with
Java 1.5.0_13 already in place.

Roedy Green

Dec 17, 2007, 8:44:28 PM12/17/07
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:29:45 -0600, "Steve W. Jackson"
<stevew...@knology.net> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
who said :

>What marketing guy would that be? I haven't visited that blog, but

>there's no update to Java in Leopard. Leopard shipped with 1.5.0_13,
>and this update brings Tiger's version up to that level.

Marketing people love wording that suggests greater capability that
actually exists without literally lying. E.g. lose up to 10 pounds in
4 weeks GUARANTEED.