sscce.org

Roedy Green

Sep 18, 2010, 1:09:54 PM9/18/10
sscce.org has not been responding the last few days. Has it died
permanently?
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

You encapsulate not just to save typing, but more importantly, to make it easy and safe to change the code later, since you then need change the logic in only one place. Without it, you might fail to change the logic in all the places it occurs.

John B. Matthews

Sep 18, 2010, 4:50:28 PM9/18/10
In article <vhs996pdh0trm8pqd...@4ax.com>,
Roedy Green <see_w...@mindprod.com.invalid> wrote:

> sscce.org has not been responding the last few days. Has it died
> permanently?

I see the same thing. Fortunately, <http://pscode.org/> and
<http://pscode.org/sscce.html> remain available.

Compare ` whois pscode.org` and `whois sscce.org`.

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

Andrew Thompson

Sep 19, 2010, 3:54:24 PM9/19/10
On Sep 19, 6:50 am, "John B. Matthews" <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <vhs996pdh0trm8pqdbcv3blml9qea9c...@4ax.com>,

>  Roedy Green <see_webs...@mindprod.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > sscce.org has not been responding the last few days. Has it died
> > permanently?

Probably a temporary outage. I dropped an email to Dave Minter
once I noticed your report. Will pass on any news I get.

> I see the same thing. Fortunately, <http://pscode.org/> and
> <http://pscode.org/sscce.html> remain available.

;)

See also:

Daniel Pitts' Tech. Blog
http://virtualinfinity.net/sscce.html

algafield - Better and Friendly Documentation
http://homepage1.nifty.com/algafield/sscce.html

And of course, there is also the summary/overview at mindprod..
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sscce.html

Oh, and Roedy, since you are such a wonderfully adept person
at keeping a neat, organized site.. just noticed that under
the 3rd point in the list..
'It is compilable or at leeast correct.'

Double 'e' in 'leeast'

> Compare ` whois pscode.org` and `whois sscce.org`.

Recently renewed my 3 domains till 2015 and ticked
the box to 'hide identity details'. But sscce.org
still shows Dave Minter as the owner.

--
Andrew T.
http://pscode.org/

Lew

Sep 19, 2010, 4:05:05 PM9/19/10
Andrew Thompson wrote:
> 'It is compilable or at least correct.'

Good to see you, Andrew.

Both "compilable" and "correct" have to be understood in context of "example",
a point the sscce.org/ site makes well. If the example is of a compiler
error, then "correct" or "compilable" means it shows that error.

Maybe "SSCCE" should mean "simple, self-contained confirmable example".

--
Lew

Andrew Thompson

Sep 21, 2010, 1:42:29 AM9/21/10
On Sep 20, 6:05 am, Lew <no...@lewscanon.com> wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > 'It is compilable or at least correct.'
>
> Good to see you, Andrew.

G'day Lew! Must admit I have not been tuning into the
usenet newsgroups as assiduously as I had previously
done. Have been more active on the Snoracle forums*
and (a little) on stack overflow.

* And during the transition from Sun to Oracle, many
of the regulars are screaming about the death of those
forums. (shrugs) I'll wait and see how it turns out.

> Both "compilable" and "correct" have to be understood in context of "example",
> a point the sscce.org/ site makes well.  If the example is of a compiler
> error, then "correct" or "compilable" means it shows that error.
>
> Maybe "SSCCE" should mean "simple, self-contained confirmable example".

That is a good idea. I'll give it some thought.
------------
As to the outage of sscce.org. Dave Minter confirmed it should
only be temporary. We are looking at strategies to get it back
online.

Roedy Green

Sep 21, 2010, 9:57:25 PM9/21/10
On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 16:05:05 -0400, Lew <no...@lewscanon.com> wrote,

>Maybe "SSCCE" should mean "simple, self-contained confirmable example".

I think the original idea was the newbie was supposed to fix his
compile errors before pestering for help. I think originally any
compile errors were pretty easy to fix. With generics, that is no
longer necessarily true.

Andrew Thompson

Sep 23, 2010, 6:58:28 AM9/23/10
On Sep 19, 3:09 am, Roedy Green <see_webs...@mindprod.com.invalid>
wrote:
> sscce.org has not been responding the last few days. ..

It is back now, on the same server I am using for pscode.org.

--
Andrew T.
http://pscode.org