Interest in Open Source project?

Michel Bergijk

Oct 17, 2005, 9:05:33 AM10/17/05
Hello all,

After a few years of not working with Java, but keeping track with
developments, I want to start brushing up my programming skills. I was
thinking about a project where a webserver application needs to be
developed.
Are there any takers?
Should I invest my time in an Apache or Sourceforge project?

-- General plan --
Webserver application
Target platform: Apache/Jacarta/Tomcat

-- Description --
A webserver application where other applications can be plugged into.
These applications need to be developed so the webserver application can
be used for specific situations. IMO this means that the interfaces to
the outer world need to be standardised.

-- Possible interfaces --
To a RDBMS (a backend system)
To a Bluetooth/Midlet application (a frontend system)

-- General goal --
Learning to work with the Java programming language
Offering an project environment where you can learn about:
- coding in Java
- working within an project
- experiencing all facets of a development project (requirements
engineering, designing, coding, versioning, testing, etc).

-- Target audience --
- Project leaders
- Sofware engineers
- Testers
- Webdesigners
- Webmasters
- ...

Let me hear what you think about this idea. I am open for any comment.
--
-------------------------------
With regards,

Andrew Thompson

Oct 17, 2005, 9:18:28 AM10/17/05
Michel Bergijk wrote:

> Are there any takers?

Just a note that c.l.j.programmer has a wider audience.

If you decide to make a post to c.l.j.p., *please* have
the sense to mention the post here..

Thomas G. Marshall

Oct 17, 2005, 9:29:21 AM10/17/05
Andrew Thompson coughed up:

He can also reply to his own post with the precise contents of the original,
and cross that one over to .programmer. It may be one of the few ways to
keep as few dual conversations as possible.

--
"His name was Robert Paulson. His name was Robert Paulson. His name was
Robert

Roedy Green

Oct 17, 2005, 8:33:06 PM10/17/05
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:05:33 +0200, Michel Bergijk <No...@nowhere.com>
wrote or quoted :

>Let me hear what you think about this idea. I am open for any comment.

Given your inexperience, you might join an existing project and learn
from the more experienced team members.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

GreyBeard

Oct 17, 2005, 8:38:27 PM10/17/05
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 00:33:06 +0000, Roedy Green wrote:

> Given your inexperience, you might join an existing project and learn
> from the more experienced team members.

That can be a hit and miss approach as well. I've seen a number of
local projects recently where the team is still effectively writing J2SE
1.2 code.

Roedy Green

Oct 18, 2005, 1:55:36 AM10/18/05
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 00:38:27 GMT, GreyBeard
<Fuzzy.G...@gmail.com> wrote or quoted :

>That can be a hit and miss approach as well. I've seen a number of
>local projects recently where the team is still effectively writing J2SE
>1.2 code.

These projects typically let anyone do a CVS read-only checkout of the
project. You can look it over too see if the people seem to know what
they are doing. You might as well pick a team where you will learn
better habits.

Michel Bergijk

Oct 18, 2005, 4:21:55 AM10/18/05
Michel Bergijk wrote:

Hi All,

I posted this message to comp.lang.java.programmer, with the same
header, and a slightly altered body.

Michel Bergijk

Oct 18, 2005, 4:22:52 AM10/18/05
Andrew Thompson wrote:

Hi Andrew,

I posted the same question to c.l.j.p to.

Roedy Green

Oct 18, 2005, 4:52:49 AM10/18/05
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:21:55 +0200, Michel Bergijk <No...@nowhere.com>
wrote or quoted :

>I posted this message to comp.lang.java.programmer, with the same

>header, and a slightly altered body.

This is a no no. I fear you will be virtually flogged. What you are
supposed to do is select one newsgroup. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/newsgroups.html for how to select the
optimal one. For only a mild flogging select two and post the same
message at the same time to two newsgroups in the header. This way
people with decent newsreaders will see the message only once. The
problem with posting to two places is the conversation fragments into
two places, with some going to one, some to the other and some to
both.

Thomas G. Marshall

Oct 18, 2005, 8:46:14 AM10/18/05
Roedy Green coughed up:

> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:21:55 +0200, Michel Bergijk <No...@nowhere.com>
> wrote or quoted :
>
>> I posted this message to comp.lang.java.programmer, with the same
>> header, and a slightly altered body.
>
> This is a no no. I fear you will be virtually flogged. What you are
> supposed to do is select one newsgroup. See
> http://mindprod.com/jgloss/newsgroups.html for how to select the
> optimal one. For only a mild flogging select two and post the same
> message at the same time to two newsgroups in the header. This way
> people with decent newsreaders will see the message only once. The
> problem with posting to two places is the conversation fragments into
> two places, with some going to one, some to the other and some to
> both.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRG.

This is why I was hoping to avoid most of this business by having him reply
to his own post with a post that cross-posts. Not this multi-posting
hoo-haa.

--
Doesn't /anyone/ know where I can find a credit card company that emails me
the minute something is charged to my account?

Andrew Thompson

Oct 18, 2005, 9:12:51 AM10/18/05
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

(multi-posting inspired by my comment)

[snip]
> ARRRRRRRRRRRRRG.

Ooops!

FWIW. Sorry, bad call that time.

Roedy Green

Oct 18, 2005, 7:10:19 PM10/18/05
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:46:14 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
<tgm2tothe...@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote or quoted
:

>This is why I was hoping to avoid most of this business by having him reply
>to his own post with a post that cross-posts. Not this multi-posting
>hoo-haa.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/crossposting.html
and
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/multiposting.html

if you don't know what he is talking about.

Michel Bergijk

Oct 19, 2005, 4:22:20 AM10/19/05
Roedy Green wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:46:14 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
> <tgm2tothe...@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote or quoted
> :
>

>>This is why I was hoping to avoid most of this business by having him reply
>>to his own post with a post that cross-posts. Not this multi-posting
>>hoo-haa.
>

> see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/crossposting.html
> and
> http://mindprod.com/jgloss/multiposting.html
>
> if you don't know what he is talking about.
Yeah, right.

In the end all I got was comments on this being the wrong newsgroup, and
not exactly using the correct way of posting the same message to another
newsgroup. Appologies for both, but no takers from others.

Michel

Roedy Green

Oct 19, 2005, 5:06:43 AM10/19/05
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:22:20 +0200, Michel Bergijk <No...@nowhere.com>
wrote or quoted :

>> see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/crossposting.html
>> and
>> http://mindprod.com/jgloss/multiposting.html
>>
>> if you don't know what he is talking about.
>Yeah, right.

You are not the only person here.