Cobol Forever!

1 view

PQUE2000

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
I talked with an older programmer today, and he said "As long as the QWERTY
keyboard survives, COBOL shall survive."

I agree with that.

G. van Vlimmeren

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98

Don' t really agree on this.
Picture the future:
2010: Keyboards are abundant, people talk to their computers, there's a
cobol-programmer in a sound-insulated cabin, reciting lines of cobol....

Ergo: Cobol wil even survive the QWERTY keyboard :)

Gerben van Vlimmeren

PQUE2000 <pque...@aol.com> schreef in artikel
<199808310651...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

Shaun C. Murray

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98
In article <199808310651...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, pque...@aol.com
says...

>I talked with an older programmer today, and he said "As long as the QWERTY
>keyboard survives, COBOL shall survive."
>
>I agree with that.

Tell that to the French and Germans (at least) who don't have qwerty keyboards
as standard.

Next you'll be calling # a pound sign! Pah!

--
Shaun
s...@enterprise.net PGP Key available

Mike Ganas

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98
WHAT? no qwerty keyboard? what the hell do they use? no, wait, don't
tell me, i dislike typing as it is.
ok, i'll bite, what do they use? will it be foisted upon us
unsuspecting americans like the metric system? they pushed that on me
but i didn't give a centimeter!

Bill Lynch

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
Shaun C. Murray wrote:

(snip)

> Next you'll be calling # a pound sign! Pah!

Uh, oh, what *should* I be calling it (and what parms are required?
<g>)?

Bill Lynch

paulr

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98

Dear Me!

# <--- hash
! <--- bang
* <--- splat
:) <--- smile

-Paul

Martin Nabbs

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
In France the keyboard is

AZERTY

Martin
(Still getting his Q's and A's mixed up)

Mike Ganas wrote in message <35ECD113...@mindspring.com>...

>WHAT? no qwerty keyboard? what the hell do they use? no, wait, don't
>tell me, i dislike typing as it is.
>ok, i'll bite, what do they use? will it be foisted upon us
>unsuspecting americans like the metric system? they pushed that on me
>but i didn't give a centimeter!
>
>Shaun C. Murray wrote:
>>
>> In article <199808310651...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
pque...@aol.com
>> says...
>> >
>> >I talked with an older programmer today, and he said "As long as the
QWERTY
>> >keyboard survives, COBOL shall survive."
>> >
>> >I agree with that.
>>
>> Tell that to the French and Germans (at least) who don't have qwerty
keyboards
>> as standard.
>>

>> Next you'll be calling # a pound sign! Pah!

Shaun C. Murray

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
In article <6sj8m6$mml$1...@reef.news.technocom.net>, mna...@hotmail.com says...

>In France the keyboard is
>
>AZERTY

Germany is QWERTZ and they usually have a different CAPS LOCK style setup which
is more like a SHIFT LOCK.

I won't even start discussing Japanese keyboards ;-)

Bill Lynch

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
paulr wrote:

> Dear Me!
>
> # <--- hash
> ! <--- bang
> * <--- splat
> :) <--- smile
>
> -Paul

Hey, we agree on the splat "*"! (and the smile, of course) I picked up
calling an "*" a "splat" from the same programming group who called a
"MVO" the "Move Offbeat" ("MVC" was "Move Core", of course).

Bill Lynch

Ibis redibis numquam peribis

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98

On 2 Sep 1998, Bill Lynch wrote:

=> Shaun C. Murray wrote:
=> >
=> (snip)
=> >
=> > Next you'll be calling # a pound sign! Pah!
=>
=> Uh, oh, what *should* I be calling it (and what parms are required?
=> <g>)?
=>
=> Bill Lynch
=>
> 1 2
an octothorpe, of course: | |
8 __ __ 3
7 __ __ 4
| |
6 5

parms??? how about "sharp", "number", "lb"

rrg
#$%^&*$#@*&^%$#@##########################

Andreas Strzoda

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
Mike Ganas schrieb:

> WHAT? no qwerty keyboard? what the hell do they use? no, wait, don't
>
> tell me, i dislike typing as it is.

..
we are using hammer and chisel to write messages in stone-plates...

AS

Ray Greenberg

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
On 2 Sep 1998 04:01:31 GMT, Bill Lynch <wbl...@att.net> wrote:

>Shaun C. Murray wrote:
>>
>(snip)
>>

>> Next you'll be calling # a pound sign! Pah!
>

>Uh, oh, what *should* I be calling it (and what parms are required?

><g>)?
>
>Bill Lynch

Why, that little tic-tac-toe board, of course!

(Either that, or a sharp--)

Ray Greenberg

Shaun C. Murray

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
In article <Pine.OSF.3.95q.98090...@octane.dasb.fhda.edu>,
rrg1...@dasb.fhda.edu says...

>On 2 Sep 1998, Bill Lynch wrote:
>
>=> Shaun C. Murray wrote:
>=> >
>=> (snip)
>=> >
>=> > Next you'll be calling # a pound sign! Pah!
>=>
>=> Uh, oh, what *should* I be calling it (and what parms are required?
>=> <g>)?
>=>
>=> Bill Lynch

It's usually called a 'hash' symbol in english. Pound is £

I think the confusion comes about because it's above the number 3 on a UK
keyboard where americans usually have a #. Old printers that only coped with 7
bit character sets used to have settings to substitute # for a pound symbol in
the UK so a file generated in the UK when printed on a US printer would give #.

>=>
>> 1 2
>an octothorpe, of course: | |
> 8 __ __ 3
> 7 __ __ 4
> | |
> 6 5

A What?

>parms??? how about "sharp", "number", "lb"

Sharp and Number maybe but not 'lb'. I'll stick with the hash ;-)

Still, I wonder what fun where going to have with Euro symbols!

Volker Bandke

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
On Wed, 2 Sep 1998 12:16:04 +0100, "Martin Nabbs" <mna...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>In France the keyboard is
>
>AZERTY
>

>Martin
>(Still getting his Q's and A's mixed up)

And in Germany it is QWERTZ...

with kind regards

Volker Bandke
(BSP GmbH)

docd...@clark.net

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
In article <35ee0e13...@news.pond.com>,

Ray Greenberg <rayg...@pond.com> wrote:
>On 2 Sep 1998 04:01:31 GMT, Bill Lynch <wbl...@att.net> wrote:
>
>>Shaun C. Murray wrote:
>>>
>>(snip)
>>>
>>> Next you'll be calling # a pound sign! Pah!
>>
>>Uh, oh, what *should* I be calling it (and what parms are required?
>><g>)?
>>
>>Bill Lynch
>

>Why, that little tic-tac-toe board, of course!

Tic-tac-toe? Is that anything like noughts 'n crosses?

DD

Donald Tees

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98

>It's usually called a 'hash' symbol in english. Pound is £

It may be called that by you, but its name is an octothorpe.
(in English that is).

Thane Hubbell

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
On Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:58:48, "G. van Vlimmeren"
<gvli...@hoogenbosch.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Don' t really agree on this.
> Picture the future:
> 2010: Keyboards are abundant, people talk to their computers, there's a
> cobol-programmer in a sound-insulated cabin, reciting lines of cobol....
>
> Ergo: Cobol wil even survive the QWERTY keyboard :)

Not only that - since COBOL is english it will do BETTER for dictation
than C, Java or Perl.

Thane - The troll.

Richard Plinston

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
In message <<6sm290$pj4$1...@news.enterprise.net>> s...@enterprise.net writes:

> It's usually called a 'hash' symbol in english. Pound is
>
> I think the confusion comes about because it's above the number 3 on a UK
> keyboard where americans usually have a #. Old printers that only coped with 7
> bit character sets used to have settings to substitute # for a pound symbol in
> the UK so a file generated in the UK when printed on a US printer would give #.

Actually the Americans calling this symbol (#) pound has nothing
to do with computers, or with english currency. They have
used it as 'number' and 'pounds weight' for several decades.

Bill Lynch

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
Shaun C. Murray wrote:

(snip)

> >=> > Next you'll be calling # a pound sign! Pah!

> >=>
> >=> Uh, oh, what *should* I be calling it (and what parms are required?
> >=> <g>)?
> >=>
> >=> Bill Lynch
>

> It's usually called a 'hash' symbol in english.

Might be better to say "It's usually called a 'hash' symbol in
England...", or are you suggesting that we Yanks don't speak English?

> Pound is £

Here's a big "Well, duh" directed at me. 'Didn't occur to me before
Shaun's post that "pound sign" would be a currency symbol to folks in
the UK. Around here (eastern USA) "#" is usually called a "pound sign"
or a "number sign". I can't recall what the phone co. calls it (they
refer to the "*" as the "star key").

Onward & upward,
Bill Lynch

Donald Tees

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98

Andreas Strzoda wrote in message <6sit88$grd$1...@news01.btx.dtag.de>...

>we are using hammer and chisel to write messages in stone-plates...

<g> cheap management again?

Rodger Whitlock

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
rayg...@pond.com (Ray Greenberg) wrote:
>On 2 Sep 1998 04:01:31 GMT, Bill Lynch <wbl...@att.net> wrote:
>
>>Shaun C. Murray wrote:
>>>
>>(snip)
>>>
>>> Next you'll be calling # a pound sign! Pah!
>>
>>Uh, oh, what *should* I be calling it (and what parms are required?
>><g>)?

>Why, that little tic-tac-toe board, of course!
>
>(Either that, or a sharp--)

Bzzzzt! Wrong! The little criss-cross thingie is formally known to the typographers
(at least some of them) as an "octothorpe" and it is *not* the same glyph as the
musical sharp sign. Informal names include "hash mark" and "pound sign."

The fine folks in comp.fonts will be happy to enlighten disbelievers.

----
Rodger Whitlock

John Watkins

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
> > It's usually called a 'hash' symbol in english.
>
> Might be better to say "It's usually called a 'hash' symbol in
> England...", or are you suggesting that we Yanks don't speak English?

Haven't done for some time. You speak American. I work for an American bank
and we make sure all our screens are in English. Most of our American
colleagues can't tell the difference.

+--------------+------------------------------------+
| John Watkins | mailto:john@watkins_dot_cix.co.uk |
| | http://www_dot_cix.co.uk/~watkins/ |
+--------------+------------------------------------+

Jeff Farkas

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98

Donald Tees wrote:

What do you mean cheap? They supplied the hammer and the chisel what more

do you want????

--
Jeff Farkas
Jeffrey...@gte.net

"I calculated the odds of this thing succeeding versus the odds of
it doing something incredibly stupid. . and. . I went ahead anyway"
{Crow from MST3K}

Donald Tees

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98

Jeff Farkas wrote in message <6sn5aa$rea$1...@news-1.news.gte.net>...

>Donald Tees wrote:
>> Andreas Strzoda wrote in message <6sit88$grd$1...@news01.btx.dtag.de>...
>> >we are using hammer and chisel to write messages in stone-plates...
>> <g> cheap management again?
>What do you mean cheap? They supplied the hammer and the chisel what more
>do you want????

I want to see the stone-plate reader. I program for quarries,
and it might come in handy ...

Volker Bandke

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
On 3 Sep 98 19:19:58 GMT, rip...@kcbbs.gen.nz (Richard Plinston)
wrote:

>Actually the Americans calling this symbol (#) pound has nothing
>to do with computers, or with english currency. They have
>used it as 'number' and 'pounds weight' for several decades.

And dito for other countries. In Germany we had a pound sign (for
weight, 500 g) like that, until the weight # was officially abolished
in the 1920ies

docd...@clark.net

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
In article <6sn9qg$osn$1...@news.igs.net>,

Donald Tees <don...@willmack.com> wrote:

>Jeff Farkas wrote in message <6sn5aa$rea$1...@news-1.news.gte.net>...
>>Donald Tees wrote:
>>> <g> cheap management again?
>>What do you mean cheap? They supplied the hammer and the chisel what more
>>do you want????
>
>I want to see the stone-plate reader. I program for quarries,
>and it might come in handy ...

In my experience it is usually better to program for the hunters.

DD

Judson McClendon

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
Thane Hubbell wrote:

>Not only that - since COBOL is english it will do BETTER for dictation
>than C, Java or Perl.

Am I correct in thinking that there are versions of COBOL for other
languages, where the reserved words are spelled in the other language?
I seem to remember seeing a Spanish COBOL program once.
--
Judson McClendon judm...@bellsouth.net (remove numbers)
Sun Valley Systems http://personal.bhm.bellsouth.net/~judmc

Judson McClendon

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
docd...@clark.net wrote:

>Donald Tees <don...@willmack.com> wrote:
>>
>>I want to see the stone-plate reader. I program for quarries,
>>and it might come in handy ...
>
>In my experience it is usually better to program for the hunters.

Ah! But the 'quarries' are more desperate for our services.

docd...@clark.net

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
In article <ioUH1.3685$gM3.2...@news4.mia.bellsouth.net>,

Judson McClendon <judm...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>docd...@clark.net wrote:
>>Donald Tees <don...@willmack.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>I want to see the stone-plate reader. I program for quarries,
>>>and it might come in handy ...
>>
>>In my experience it is usually better to program for the hunters.
>

>Ah! But the 'quarries' are more desperate for our services.

Desperation is one thing... posting rates, or a range of rates, is
another.

DD

Thane Hubbell

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 16:14:30, "Judson McClendon"
<judm...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Thane Hubbell wrote:
> >
> >Not only that - since COBOL is english it will do BETTER for dictation
> >than C, Java or Perl.
>
> Am I correct in thinking that there are versions of COBOL for other
> languages, where the reserved words are spelled in the other language?
> I seem to remember seeing a Spanish COBOL program once.

Not according to the standard!

William M. Klein

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98

Thane Hubbell wrote in message ...

Unless you have a rather COMPLEX "replace" statement at the beginning of
your program. (I did see a French program done this way once - but it is
hardly a common approach.)

Bob Wolfe

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
"Judson McClendon" <judm...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Thane Hubbell wrote:
>>
>>Not only that - since COBOL is english it will do BETTER for dictation
>>than C, Java or Perl.
>
>Am I correct in thinking that there are versions of COBOL for other
>languages, where the reserved words are spelled in the other language?
>I seem to remember seeing a Spanish COBOL program once.

Judson:

Yes. There is an American version of COBOL which utilizes "periods"
at the end of each statement and an English version which uses the
"full stop" at the end of each statement.

;-)

Bob Wolfe, flexus
Check out The Flexus COBOL Page at http://www.flexus.com

Leif Svalgaard

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98

>Yes. There is an American version of COBOL which utilizes "periods"
>at the end of each statement and an English version which uses the
>"full stop" at the end of each statement.

and a web version which uses "dots"

Thane Hubbell

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 21:17:51, rtw...@flexus.com (Bob Wolfe) wrote:

> "Judson McClendon" <judm...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> >Thane Hubbell wrote:
> >>
> >>Not only that - since COBOL is english it will do BETTER for dictation
> >>than C, Java or Perl.
> >
> >Am I correct in thinking that there are versions of COBOL for other
> >languages, where the reserved words are spelled in the other language?
> >I seem to remember seeing a Spanish COBOL program once.
>
> Judson:
>

> Yes. There is an American version of COBOL which utilizes "periods"
> at the end of each statement and an English version which uses the
> "full stop" at the end of each statement.

Or my version, with an aversion to periods, where in the procedure
division there is only 1 period per paragraph - Period.

Chris Westbury

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
In article <6sm290$pj4$1...@news.enterprise.net>,
s...@enterprise.net (Shaun C. Murray) wrote:

> In article <35ECC32E...@att.net>,
> wbl...@att.net (Bill Lynch) wrote:
> >
> > In article <6sgtq0$g4j$7...@news.enterprise.net>,

> > s...@enterprise.net (Shaun C. Murray) wrote:
> > >
> > > Next you'll be calling # a pound sign! Pah!
> >
> > Uh, oh, what *should* I be calling it (and what parms are required?
> > <g>)?
>
> It's usually called a 'hash' symbol in english. Pound is £
>
> I think the confusion comes about because it's above the number 3 on a
> UK keyboard where americans usually have a #.

Not that it matters, but, historically, it happened the other way 'round.
The symbol for pound sterling was placed above the three because the
octothorp that was already there is sometimes pronounced "pound".

An octothorp in front of a number is pronounced "number", as in "#1
diesel fuel", and an octothorp after a number is pronounced "pound", as
in "20# bond paper". This usage originated in England, along with
"quire", "ream", etc. In proofreading, it is pronounced "space", as in
"Eq #". In music, it is pronounced "sharp", although it is not quite the
same graphic.

The word "octothorp" is a faux-Classical word coined by some unsung
genius at Bell Labs for the first touch-tone "dial", which was 4 x 4, not
3 x 4 as we see it today. (Signals from the fourth column are reserved
for line control.) I find "octothorp" useful because the symbol has no
other unambiguous designation. Think of trying to explain the symbol
without using the word "octothorp": "A pound sign in front of a number is
pronounced 'number', and a number sign after a number is pronounced
'pound' ..."

The Latin "libra" (pl. "librae"), the balance on which things were
weighed, is the source for both "£", which is a stylized script "L", and
"lb", which is an abbreviation of "libra".

"A five-pound box" -> "a 5-pound box" -> "a 5-lb box" -> "a 5# box".

"Five pounds sterling" -> "5 pounds sterling" -> "5 lbs sterling" -> "£5".

PS. There is no universally-accepted standard for upper ASCII, and Usenet
is not 8-bit clean. This article uses the ISO Latin-1 Supplemental
Character Set. I apologize in advance to those of you who don't see a
pound sign where I typed one.

--
Christopher Westbury, Midtown Associates, 15 Fallon Place, Cambridge, MA 02138

Donald Tees

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
>>Yes. There is an American version of COBOL which utilizes "periods"
>>at the end of each statement and an English version which uses the
>>"full stop" at the end of each statement.

>and a web version which uses "dots"

And a NG version which requires a sense of humour.

Donald Tees

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98

>PS. There is no universally-accepted standard for upper ASCII, and Usenet
>is not 8-bit clean. This article uses the ISO Latin-1 Supplemental
>Character Set. I apologize in advance to those of you who don't see a
>pound sign where I typed one.

Let them pound salt.

Dennis J. Minette

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98

Thane Hubbell wrote in message ...
>On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 21:17:51, rtw...@flexus.com (Bob Wolfe) wrote:

>> >Am I correct in thinking that there are versions of COBOL for other
>> >languages, where the reserved words are spelled in the other language?
>> >I seem to remember seeing a Spanish COBOL program once.
>>
>> Judson:
>>
>> Yes. There is an American version of COBOL which utilizes "periods"
>> at the end of each statement and an English version which uses the
>> "full stop" at the end of each statement.
>>

>Or my version, with an aversion to periods, where in the procedure
>division there is only 1 period per paragraph - Period.

Do you consider that period required after the paragraph name another wasted
keystroke? Many of us more elderly COBOL programmers learned our craft well
before the advent of all the various END-xxx constructs in the standard and
I, for one, see no good reason to employ one of those END-xxx items when a
simple period will accomplish the same end. I will have to admit that
END-IF makes the construction of complex conditional tests much easier when
you can get the job done without using any ELSE NEXT SENTENCE phrases.

Shaun C. Murray

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
In article <Jl0PnHJ5PvPd-pn2-R2dd3dQgdexQ@Dwight_Miller.iix.com>,
red...@ibm.net says...

>On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 21:17:51, rtw...@flexus.com (Bob Wolfe) probably wrote:
>
>> Yes. There is an American version of COBOL which utilizes "periods"
>> at the end of each statement and an English version which uses the
>> "full stop" at the end of each statement.
>>

>Or my version, with an aversion to periods, where in the procedure
>division there is only 1 period per paragraph - Period.

Actually, there are two different language versions. There's the English
version of COBOL where you can use THROUGH, COLOUR etc and the American
version, THRU, COLOR. The only weird one I find is that no-one added INITIALISE
or other -ISE words.

--
Shaun
s...@enterprise.net PGP Key available

Mark Undrill

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98

Shaun C. Murray wrote in message <6t0bs2$ep5$3...@news.enterprise.net>...

>In article <Jl0PnHJ5PvPd-pn2-R2dd3dQgdexQ@Dwight_Miller.iix.com>,
>red...@ibm.net says...
>>
>>On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 21:17:51, rtw...@flexus.com (Bob Wolfe) probably
wrote:

<snip> stuff about periods and full stops

>Actually, there are two different language versions. There's the English
>version of COBOL where you can use THROUGH, COLOUR etc and the American
>version, THRU, COLOR. The only weird one I find is that no-one added
INITIALISE
>or other -ISE words.

I remember the ICL 1900 COBOL compiler had these ;)
--
Mark Undrill
Affirm Limited

Charles F Hankel

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
William M. Klein wrote:

> Thane Hubbell wrote in message ...
> >On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 16:14:30, "Judson McClendon"

> ><judm...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> >> Am I correct in thinking that there are versions of COBOL for other
> >> languages, where the reserved words are spelled in the other language?
> >> I seem to remember seeing a Spanish COBOL program once.
> >
> >Not according to the standard!
>
> Unless you have a rather COMPLEX "replace" statement at the beginning of
> your program. (I did see a French program done this way once - but it is
> hardly a common approach.)

I've seen a French one as well, and a Spanish one. This was years ago,
though, and I think they were abandoned as being unworkable in the end,
apart from which COBOL is more international probably than Esperanto.
Now there's a thought. Are there more COBOL-literate people in the
world than Esperanto-literate ones?

--
Charles F Hankel, Wirral, UK
----------------------------

Charles F Hankel

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
Bob Wolfe wrote:

> "Judson McClendon" <judm...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> >Thane Hubbell wrote:
> >>
> >>Not only that - since COBOL is english it will do BETTER for dictation
> >>than C, Java or Perl.
> >
> >Am I correct in thinking that there are versions of COBOL for other
> >languages, where the reserved words are spelled in the other language?
> >I seem to remember seeing a Spanish COBOL program once.
>
> Judson:

> Yes. There is an American version of COBOL which utilizes "periods"
> at the end of each statement and an English version which uses the
> "full stop" at the end of each statement.
>
> ;-)

The American version really uses full stops as well, but the compiler
people call them periods to humour the natives.

:-)

Charles F Hankel

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
Bill Lynch wrote:

> Shaun C. Murray wrote:
> >
> (snip)
> >
> > Next you'll be calling # a pound sign! Pah!
>
> Uh, oh, what *should* I be calling it (and what parms are required?
> <g>)?

It's a "hash mark" - obvious, innit? A pound sign is what you might
recognise as the currency symbol for Sterling.

Charles F Hankel

Sep 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/11/98
Bill Lynch wrote:

> paulr wrote:
> >
> > Dear Me!
> >
> > # <--- hash
> > ! <--- bang
> > * <--- splat
> > :) <--- smile
> >
> > -Paul
> >

> Hey, we agree on the splat "*"! (and the smile, of course) I picked up
> calling an "*" a "splat" from the same programming group who called a
> "MVO" the "Move Offbeat" ("MVC" was "Move Core", of course).

I used to work alongside a girl who would often speak what she was
writing. A sample COBOL line might be "move bunny ears yes bunny ears
to double you ess response full stop".

Bill Lynch

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
Charles F Hankel wrote:

(snip)

> > Yes. There is an American version of COBOL which utilizes "periods"
> > at the end of each statement and an English version which uses the
> > "full stop" at the end of each statement.
> >
> > ;-)
>
> The American version really uses full stops as well, but the compiler
> people call them periods to humour the natives.

Charles is in rare form today.

Bill Lynch <G>

Bill Lynch

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
Charles F Hankel wrote:

(snip)
> > > Next you'll be calling # a pound sign! Pah!
> >
> > Uh, oh, what *should* I be calling it (and what parms are required?
> > <g>)?
>
> It's a "hash mark" - obvious, innit? A pound sign is what you might
> recognise as the currency symbol for Sterling.

Tsk, tsk, Charles. Someone's not reading the thread before he posts.
Shaun Murray posted the following on 98/09/03:

--------------------------- begin quote ---------------------

It's usually called a 'hash' symbol in english. Pound is £

I think the confusion comes about because it's above the number 3 on a
UK

keyboard where americans usually have a #. Old printers that only coped
with 7
bit character sets used to have settings to substitute # for a pound
symbol in
the UK so a file generated in the UK when printed on a US printer would
give #.

------------------------ end quote ------------------------

Bill Lynch

Bob Wolfe

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
Charles F Hankel <cha...@hankel.mersinet.co.uk> wrote:

>Bob Wolfe wrote:

>> >Am I correct in thinking that there are versions of COBOL for other
>> >languages, where the reserved words are spelled in the other language?
>> >I seem to remember seeing a Spanish COBOL program once.
>>
>> Judson:
>>

>> Yes. There is an American version of COBOL which utilizes "periods"
>> at the end of each statement and an English version which uses the
>> "full stop" at the end of each statement.
>>
>> ;-)
>
>The American version really uses full stops as well, but the compiler
>people call them periods to humour the natives.
>

>:-)

>--
>Charles F Hankel, Wirral, UK
>----------------------------

Sorry, Charles, but this just isn't true...Actually we don't have
"full stop" keys on our keyboards...just "period" keys.

Wait a minute...maybe the keyboard manufacturers are in on the
conspiracy and they too, are calling the "full stop" key a "period"
key just to placate the natives and avoid hours of additional training
sessions!!

Bob Wolfe

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
Charles F Hankel <cha...@hankel.mersinet.co.uk> wrote:

>Bill Lynch wrote:

>> Shaun C. Murray wrote:
>> >
>> (snip)
>> >
>> > Next you'll be calling # a pound sign! Pah!
>>
>> Uh, oh, what *should* I be calling it (and what parms are required?
>> <g>)?
>
>It's a "hash mark" - obvious, innit? A pound sign is what you might
>recognise as the currency symbol for Sterling.
>

>--
>Charles F Hankel, Wirral, UK
>----------------------------

Now I KNOW we don't have a Pound Seterling key on our keyboards. I
always thought that those were just decorative capital "L" characters.
Of course, you probably think that our currency symbol is an
incarcerated capital "S"

Thane Hubbell

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:40:20, rtw...@flexus.com (Bob Wolfe) wrote:

> Wait a minute...maybe the keyboard manufacturers are in on the
> conspiracy and they too, are calling the "full stop" key a "period"
> key just to placate the natives and avoid hours of additional training
> sessions!!

If you print the words "Full Stop" on a key, the print is too small to
read.

Thane Hubbell

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
On Mon, 7 Sep 1998 03:38:09, "Dennis J. Minette"
<dennis_...@email.msn.com> wrote:

> Thane Hubbell wrote in message ...

> Do you consider that period required after the paragraph name another wasted
> keystroke? Many of us more elderly COBOL programmers learned our craft well
> before the advent of all the various END-xxx constructs in the standard and
> I, for one, see no good reason to employ one of those END-xxx items when a
> simple period will accomplish the same end. I will have to admit that
> END-IF makes the construction of complex conditional tests much easier when
> you can get the job done without using any ELSE NEXT SENTENCE phrases.

I'm a bit flexible. If the standard requires it, I have no argument
with it.

The only problem with your period terminator is the fact that mixed
with the method I endorse, it leads to early termination of if
statements and the like. The two just don't mix.

You should either terminate EVERY statement with a period, or only use
one per paragraph. Mixing methods just doesn't work well.

Richard Plinston

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
In message <<Jl0PnHJ5PvPd-pn2-OBEGyiTnEpTY@Dwight_Miller.iix.com>> red...@ibm.net writes:

> The only problem with your period terminator is the fact that mixed
> with the method I endorse, it leads to early termination of if
> statements and the like. The two just don't mix.
>
> You should either terminate EVERY statement with a period, or only use

Which obvious doesn't work and needs to be changed to:

"terminate EVERY statement unless it is part of
a conditional block or an in-line perform block
or anywhere else where it may affect the
intended logic."

> one per paragraph. Mixing methods just doesn't work well.

I especially hate the "." on every line where is is possible
style, mainly because they all have to be removed where
they are put under a conditional and then re-added
when taken back out. A _complete_ waste of time as well
as being error-prone.

I also dislike 'shortcutting' the correct number of END-IFs
by putting in a ".". Get the number of them right as a
check on the IF-ELSE structure. There may be a compiler
warning if you get them wrong, or your IFs are not the
way you hoped.

It may even be useful to have a compiler option to enforce
the correct END- be present in all cases.

Dennis J. Minette

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98

Thane Hubbell wrote in message ...

As in Print Screen, Scroll Lock, Num Lock, Page Up and Page Down? :-)

Bill Lynch

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
Bob Wolfe wrote:

(snip)

> Sorry, Charles, but this just isn't true...Actually we don't have
> "full stop" keys on our keyboards...just "period" keys.
>
> Wait a minute...maybe the keyboard manufacturers are in on the
> conspiracy and they too, are calling the "full stop" key a "period"
> key just to placate the natives and avoid hours of additional training
> sessions!!

Great Scott, Bob! I think you're on to a conspiracy greater than who
killed Kennedy. Quick, call ken Starr.

Bill Lynch :-)

Shaun C. Murray

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
In article <e3tcWqD...@upnetnews02.moswest.msn.net>,
dennis_...@email.msn.com says...

>Thane Hubbell wrote in message ...
>>
>>If you print the words "Full Stop" on a key, the print is too small to
>>read.
>>

>As in Print Screen, Scroll Lock, Num Lock, Page Up and Page Down? :-)

Actually, I used to, or rather probably still have in my loft, a keyboard with
RUN STOP on it. I'll leave it as an exercise to name the computer.

Bob Wolfe

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
Bill Lynch <wbl...@att.net> wrote:

Sorry Bill, Ken wouldn't be interested. Geeks writing code just isn't
very steamy stuff for him. Now if Bill Gates was in charge of the
Independent Council... perhaps we would have a chance to expose the
conspirators...(go ahead...I used the word, "expose"...your turn.

COBOL Frog (Huib Klink)

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98

Shaun C. Murray wrote:

> Actually, I used to, or rather probably still have in my loft, a keyboard with
> RUN STOP on it. I'll leave it as an exercise to name the computer.

Guess 1: Commodore 64

The Frog
--
Dut: Vandaag is de eerste dag van de rest van je leven! Maak er wat van!
Eng: Today is the first day of the rest of your life! Use it!

Shaun C. Murray

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
In article <35FE7C25...@IMN.nl>, H.K...@IMN.nl says...

>Shaun C. Murray wrote:
>
>> Actually, I used to, or rather probably still have in my loft, a keyboard
with
>> RUN STOP on it. I'll leave it as an exercise to name the computer.
>
>Guess 1: Commodore 64

Correct company, wrong machine. My 64 is actually in my sisters loft. The
Vic-20 is in my loft. I had a CBM-8032 (PET) in my loft until I moved. Had to
leave it there though, no room in the car and it was too heavy to get out the
loft.

Didn't run COBOL either. ;-)

SkippyPB

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
On 15 Sep 1998 11:20:26 GMT, s...@enterprise.net (Shaun C. Murray)
enlightened us with:

>In article <e3tcWqD...@upnetnews02.moswest.msn.net>,
>dennis_...@email.msn.com says...
>>

>>Thane Hubbell wrote in message ...
>>>
>>>If you print the words "Full Stop" on a key, the print is too small to
>>>read.
>>>

>>As in Print Screen, Scroll Lock, Num Lock, Page Up and Page Down? :-)
>>

>Actually, I used to, or rather probably still have in my loft, a keyboard with
>RUN STOP on it. I'll leave it as an exercise to name the computer.
>

>--
>Shaun
>s...@enterprise.net PGP Key available

Ah yes, the ol' RUN STOP....Has to be a Commodore...maybe a C64? I
have two packed away in my closet. No more room in my home office
because of two IBM's taking up all the space. I do miss my C64's
though.

Regards,

////
(o o)
-oOO--(_)--OOo-
Is there another word for synonym?
Steve

Ibis redibis numquam peribis

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98

On 15 Sep 1998, Shaun C. Murray wrote:

=> In article <e3tcWqD...@upnetnews02.moswest.msn.net>,
=> dennis_...@email.msn.com says...
=> >
=> >
=> >Thane Hubbell wrote in message ...
=> >>
=> >>If you print the words "Full Stop" on a key, the print is too small
=> >>to read.
=> >>
=> >
=> >As in Print Screen, Scroll Lock, Num Lock, Page Up and Page Down? :-)
=> >
=>
=> Actually, I used to, or rather probably still have in my loft, a
=> keyboard with RUN STOP on it. I'll leave it as an exercise to name the
=> computer.
=>
=> --
=> Shaun
=> s...@enterprise.net PGP Key available
=>
=>
My Commodore SX-64 has RUN STOP.

I have another which has STOP on the upper left key (to the left of the
"1" key). I will leave *that* name as an exercise.

p.s. the latter keyboard also has the "cents" symbol in addition to the
"dollars" symbol.
rrg
=================================
What is a Marine's Corps reality?
=================================

Jackie W Chan

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
Bill Lynch <wbl...@att.net> 次寫入到主題 <35FDFE78...@att.net>...

> Bob Wolfe wrote:
> >
> (snip)
> >
> > Sorry, Charles, but this just isn't true...Actually we don't have
> > "full stop" keys on our keyboards...just "period" keys.

Actually, they are referring to the same thing.
In British English, we call "." a "full stop";
in American English, we call "." a "period".